GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

See this Film, unless you're squeamish

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
If you're a hard-core Sci-Fi fan, you must see "Life", released in 2017. High quality stuff, extremely well done. So many Sci-Fi films have good CGI but don't take you anywhere. This one does! I don't scare easily, but this one is scary as hell. Borrows from the original Alien film, but with some new twists.

Here's a trailer, but don't watch it because it gives away too much. Maybe skip around and catch a few scenes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeLsJfGmY_Y

If anyone has seen it, what did you think? You may have seen it at the theater. I saw it on blu-ray last night.

Balanced opinions, please. Trolls will be kicked out of the airlock without a space suit.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Rented it when it came out on iTunes.
It was entertaining. Decent story and a few moments that could make you jump a bit.
Seems like they may have left it a bit open ended for a equal of some sort?
I enjoyed it, but I prefer a Sci-FI movie that makes you think a little.
Although it is nice to just sometimes sit back and watch something a bit "mindless"...within reason of course.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Rented it when it came out on iTunes.
It was entertaining. Decent story and a few moments that could make you jump a bit.
Seems like they may have left it a bit open ended for a equal of some sort?
I enjoyed it, but I prefer a Sci-FI movie that makes you think a little.
Although it is nice to just sometimes sit back and watch something a bit "mindless"...within reason of course.

Glad you saw it, and liked it...sort of. I didn't find it mindless, although it wasn't as "Cerebral" as some. My criteria is it has to be good, whether action or cerebral. We need both types, and mixes. So many Sci-Fi films are bad, it was great to find this. Yes, it did seem to leave open the possibility of a sequel. It would be quite a sequel, with the proper budget. That thing...lose on Earth. Yow!

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If you're a hard-core Sci-Fi fan, you must see "Life", released in 2017. High quality stuff, extremely well done. So many Sci-Fi films have good CGI but don't take you anywhere. This one does! I don't scare easily, but this one is scary as hell. Borrows from the original Alien film, but with some new twists.

Here's a trailer, but don't watch it because it gives away too much. Maybe skip around and catch a few scenes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeLsJfGmY_Y

If anyone has seen it, what did you think? You may have seen it at the theater. I saw it on blu-ray last night.

Balanced opinions, please. Trolls will be kicked out of the airlock without a space suit.

I didn't think it was all that great TBH.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Diggs, you and I are living on different planets.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Diggs, you and I are living on different planets.

Quite possibly.

It was a typical horror movie of people doing stupid things; these were supposed to be smart people too. Good premise, poor execution. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. Rotten Tomatoes reviews aggregate seems to agree as movies that usually fall in the 60s on the tomatometer typically are pretty mediocre.

I watch a fair number of movies so I am somewhat harsh on those that don't bring their A game.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I saw it - and it was entertaining. Basically, it was the exact same story as the original Alien, with a slightly different set-up.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Quite possibly.

It was a typical horror movie of people doing stupid things; these were supposed to be smart people too. Good premise, poor execution. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. Rotten Tomatoes reviews aggregate seems to agree as movies that usually fall in the 60s on the tomatometer typically are pretty mediocre.

I watch a fair number of movies so I am somewhat harsh on those that don't bring their A game.

Smart people do smart things in movies, and they also do stupid things in the same movie, just like in real life. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a story!

I mean, you or I might've squashed little Calvin while he was still in the petri dish...see? No story.

If Alien passes all of your criteria for an "A" grade Sci-Fi movie, I would have to assume, by your own definition, that you didn't see any smart people in it doing stupid things. However, as I recall, the first stupid thing someone did was gawk down into a pod as it opened up, and get a face-hugger as a new friend. The next stupid thing they did was bring it onboard the ship. The next stupid thing they did was not jettison the face-hugger and victim into space when they saw that the thing had crawled into the guy's belly. They would have known that when they x-rayed him...oh wait, I don't think they did x-ray him. Well, THAT was stupid!!

I thought the first 3 Alien films were masterpieces. But some of the characters still did stupid things, because that's what people do, even if they're smart. Not even sure a Sci-Fi movie exists where a smart person didn't do something stupid, because that's one of the ways writers get the drama and conflict going. A movie without drama and conflict will play like a tech manual- informative but no fun.

And piss on Rotten Tomatoes, I disagree with them on a regular basis.

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I saw it a while back and it wasn't bad, but didn't think it was scary

The ending had a little twist, but left it too wide open (for me).....unless they were intentionally leaving it like that for a sequel

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
I saw it a while back and it wasn't bad, but didn't think it was scary

The ending had a little twist, but left it too wide open (for me).....unless they were intentionally leaving it like that for a sequel

Ryan Reynolds getting 'is gizzard ripped out from inside just dint do it for ya, eh? Ah well, like they say, "no accounting for taste".

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Some of you are numb, apparently.

Maybe a lot of you guys are into more along the lines of the "Saw" movies, and that genre. Have never watched any of it, and never will, but I could see why nothing would compare to that psychotic shit.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Watch "Moon." It's not scary, but it is a little creepy and claustrophobic.

Low budget effects used in moderation, but done very well.