GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Screeching Brakes?

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
For some reason when I leave my car sitting for awhile the brakes will screech every time I stop until the wheels revolve a few times. I'm not sure which brake, or brakes, is making the noise but it's incredibly annoying and it's happened ever since I got it last October. And my dealer said that that is normal? Which I know it isn't..

Someone told me I should try cleaning them to see if that helps but I apparently don't have the right equipment to clean them. I tried to use this cloth I had in my hatch but it didn't really clean them... more like it ruined the cloth, haha.

I'm taking it to VW tomorrow, anyway, for a service check and I'm having them check out the brakes again. But, is there another possible reason for this? Solution?

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
I was going to try that, actually. I'm assuming you can buy that at any auto store?

Rockriders30

Car(s)
2009 GTI
Mine does the same thing, especially when it is raining, goes away after the first couple stops though after the rotors get cleaned off.

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
YES. Winter weather and rain are awful in this situation. Have you fixed the problem or do they still screech?

Dilmorecg

Ready to race!
Im the same. Pretty much every morning creaping out of my driveway i get a squeal. Goes away after 1 or 2 full stops so its no big deal for me.

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
Yeah, I've grown accustom to it but it still irks me. :/ I was actually just about to leave to buy the anti-squeal stuff.

G Mills

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the same problem with my stock pads. When I switched to Hawk HPS pads there was no sound. Now, my HP+ pads sound like a freight train stoping or in car video from the V8 Australian super car series. I'm going back to HPS pads tomorrow.

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
Lolol. I might have to check those out if the spray doesn't work.... Might, as in, definitely.

G Mills

Passed Driver's Ed
Hawk HP+ pad set for sale. Less than 50km.

G Mills

Passed Driver's Ed
I just got my new HPS pads on and they are just as quiet as my first set. The reason I switched in the first place, is that I cooked my first set on a track day. After five laps my brakes were smoking like an F1 car.

The HPS pads are great for the street and short autocross runs, but fade fast when lapping on a road course.

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
I haven't gone to a track (but I really need to!) and I do some sporty driving at least twice a week on some back roads by me. Which ones would you recommend for that kind of driving? It sounds like I would be fine with either?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Pretty sure it is probably just rust on your rotors. Every vehicle I've owned that had disc brakes has done this. Your car sits overnight, the rotors rust a bit, they screech when used, rust is worn off, and no more screeching for the day.

G Mills

Passed Driver's Ed
It really depends on how hard you are going to drive your car on the track. If you plan to drive it hard, HPS pads will not last! There are many other track oriented pads out there that are streetable, but I cannot vouch for their noise level. Virtually any pad that claims to be able to handle track use will be noisy. Somewhere between freight train and annoying. The HP+ pads have good heat resistance but are very noisy. You should look for some more information about noise elves from EBC YellowStuff pads and Carbotech AX6. They are both weekend track day worthy and safe for the street.

If noise bothers you, I would go with the HPS pads and drive within their limits on the track.

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Mine does the same thing, especially when it is raining, goes away after the first couple stops though after the rotors get cleaned off.

THIS