GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Scary Close Caliper Clearance

rfc89747

Ready to race!
I just test fit my winter wheel set that I ordered from TireRack. They clear the front calipers with about 2mm of space, right up until the wheel weights. They still clear, but by maybe a couple pieces of paper. They deffinetly aren't touching. When I pulled the wheel back off there were no markings on the calipers or even the dirt that was on the surface of the calipers.

Is this too close for comfort?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I thought this was a clearance sale ad for a new brand of calipers (Scary Close).

[emoji12]

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Have them rebalanced with the weights near the back side of the wheel. A number of guys running 17's had to do this, it's not ideal but works.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that. What are the negatives to having the weights on the inside?

What potential issues am I facing with such a small clearance?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Have them rebalanced with the weights near the back side of the wheel. A number of guys running 17's had to do this, it's not ideal but works.

Warning with this.
Wheels/tires should be dynamic balanced with weight placed front or back on each side of wheel to get best ride. If you just move weights you might get vibrations. They might be able to move some but best placement is best placement.

Last edited:

AR11

Ready to race!
Was the application listed as compatible per tirerack? If so, you might use the pictures to request that tirerack set you up with a different wheel.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Yes, there were no fitment warnings from tire rack. I mean technically they do fit. I'm sure they would swap them out with a different size or wheel for me, as their customer service is great. I'm just trying to avoid the hassle of shipping really.

I wouldn't be moving the weights myself. I thought I could have them professionally re-balanced and just ask that the weights be on the inside (guess that isn't a thing?). What issues would I have with the weights being so close to the calipers anyway, would they move and impact the wheel under certain conditions?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
There are thinner profile wheel weights you can use. I've requested them from tire shop before. But that kind of clearance is pretty normal for 17s on the PP/Golf R brakes.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Yes, there were no fitment warnings from tire rack. I mean technically they do fit. I'm sure they would swap them out with a different size or wheel for me, as their customer service is great. I'm just trying to avoid the hassle of shipping really.

I wouldn't be moving the weights myself. I thought I could have them professionally re-balanced and just ask that the weights be on the inside (guess that isn't a thing?). What issues would I have with the weights being so close to the calipers anyway, would they move and impact the wheel under certain conditions?

You can ask them to check the tire/wheels again.
A shop might be able to move or separate the weights and still balance.
Like the old expression: "There is more than one way you skin a cat"
I would try it if you want to try. But, keep in mind. If the wheels/tires came balanced from Tire rack and you move the weights, I would check with them first. Make sure you can still return if no fit.
If you just purchased wheels then no harm trying.

The weights will not move but I am sure wheels flex some under loading. If super tight they could rub some. Best not to find out or you might damage more than the wheels.
Hope it works out beat.
Pics when done.

PS: Tire Rack is not perfect at balancing tires. My dealer found 2 off some. After rebalance I could tell difference. This is why I say try and check again. Some options might show up. Tell shop what you goal is and they might be able to help. If they are good at it. A good balancer needed and someone who knows how to use it.