GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SB Stg2 Daily Clutch Kit Review (tsi)

rippie74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
~$1200 shipped into canada. 4.5 hours install.

4.5 hours? hmmmm...

My guy charges me $350.00 & takes about 2.5 hours to install it

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
Dude, i threw a lighter flywheel on my turbo civic, and it felt like i was running down hill all the time, rpms didnt drop much at all... Again, maybe its placebo but also berk told me this would happened... Rev hang so its called or w/e.

Yea i have felt it slip a lil bit as well just by doin take offs and what not, but im at 200mi now and it seems to be feeling better.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I have about 4 month on my SB Stage 2 Daily clutch. As you mentioned the clatter was a bit disconcerning at first, but now it just seems normal.

My installer did not tell me to take it easy at first. I had it slip a few times in the first 1,000 miles then drove resonable for a month or so and it must have "fixed itself" because there is no slipping now with the K04 and a limited slip. DBC fixed me up with the clutch and the K04 kit.

I wonder what the Endurance version is like with the stainless steel plates, for a daily driven car?

I have the Endurance version, its drives nicely day to day (course I'm only on day 3!).

JSnover107

Ready to race!
How many miles is everyone replacing there clutch its it because of bt causing slipping. or just wearing out on high miles?

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
mine was slipping...i replaced at 26kbut started slipping at abour 23-24k.
Been stg 2 for about 15k now, stg 1 before that for another ~7k

T13R

the lighter the rotating assembly is the MORE it will drop between shifts, the engine will rev down faster, not slower as there is LESS rotating mass.

also I have no idea what you are talking about, changing the clutch and flywheel has no effect on the rpm split between gears, that is determined by gearing in the transmission.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+a+transmission+works
x2

I replaced my Clutchmaster Stage 3 with aluminum flywheel by the Southbend Stage 2 Daily and my revs don't drop as fast anymore. With the Clutchmaster it was getting annoying when just driving normally, I almost had to speedshift each time to make sure revs didn't drop too much. Now it's better. Also I was charged 4 hours installation.

T13R

Nm of course it is, by reving down are you guys referring to engine braking?
I'm referring to when you shift from say 2nd gear to 3rd gear. Assuming you are at 3000 rpms, when you put 3rd gear in, the revs drop to about 2000 rpms. With a lighter flywheel, when you press the clutch pedal, the revs will drop much faster from 3000 to 2000 rpms. The lighter the flywheel, the faster the revs will drop when you press down on the clutch pedal.

edit: Thought about it a little more in terms of the physics behind it, and what I wrote before, now in italics, seems wrong as momentum is higher with a heavier flywheel, so a heavier flywheel would drop in revs slower regardless of what you were doing.

If you are referring to the opposite; starting off in 3rd gear at 2000 rpm and downshifting to 2nd and revs goes up to 3000 rpm, it would seem right that the deceleration or drop in rpms thereafter (if not accelerating after the downshift) would be slower as there is a little less mass to spin (more energy conserved) due to the lighter flywheel.

Last edited:

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
I see, i guess because i havent gotten om it too much i havent gotten the chance to see how it will truly react.. I mean im shiftin before 4k or sooner for the break in period.

I mean the theory makes sence, i mean its just like conservation of momentum lol. On the counter tho, revs should climb faster then..

Anyway thanks!

I will get a video on monday, im away from my house for the weekend..

rippie74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
flat rate is quoted at 6hours.

Yea well I guess it helps when you know a good shop. RSW :thumbsup:

The stealership charges something like $800.00 to install it combine that with the cost of a stock clutch @ $900.00 & you're looking @ about $2000.00 to install a (shitty) factory clutch.

IIRC: JC@Douglas charges $300 or $350 to install clutches.