GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Revo Stage 3 K04/F23T Timing advance

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
I am running Revo K04 file with my F23T, it pulls great up top and holds around 18psi at redline with 9-7-9 settings, this are kind of aggressive settings, i have water/meth injection and it seems to be running with only a little timing pull.

I am checking data on my car using Torque App for Android, what im interested in is overall timing advance, at first i tried 8-6-8 settings and it only got around 6* according to the app, moving to my current settings it went up to 7.5* but i could not see much more beyond that....Is that kind of timing advance ok for Revo Stage 3 or F23T files? It seems kind of low, but the car feels really strong, so i have my doubts about it. Please post your timing advance logs if you have them.

Torque App has a knock detecting plugin, with those settings using W/M and a adding some octane booster it only shows -1.5* at max, sometimes it is 0*, no timing pull.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Timing advance will vary through the RPM range but my DM water/meth K04 file reaches a max of about just under 22 degrees of advance with zero timing pull.

A regular 91 octane tune would probably see a max of about 14-15 degrees of advance.

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
Interesting, would it be the application?? It is connected to the OBD2 reading directly from the ECU, i would need to check with a full vag-com cable to see what kind of timing advance and pull i am getting, car pulls hard, so it is interesting, i am running 92octane + water meth.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Interesting, would it be the application?? It is connected to the OBD2 reading directly from the ECU, i would need to check with a full vag-com cable to see what kind of timing advance and pull i am getting, car pulls hard, so it is interesting, i am running 92octane + water meth.

Hard to know what you are reading. If you use vagcom and run
groups 3 and 20, with a good 4th gear pull from about 2500 rpm you will be able to see what timing advance it is calling for and how much it is pulling back, if any, in any of your cylinders. Generally how I adjust my water meth. If I see timing being pulled I just add a little more where needed until I get zeros.

Last edited:

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
I got the chance to log one run yesterday at the dragstrip, like i said before, timing advance in 3rd and 4th gear is pretty low, but also are CF`s, all 0`s across the board, i will raise the timing settings on my car to something around 8 or 9 and see how that goes, 9 is the higher i can go.

Please take a look at the logs, any feedback is appreciated, lower g/s are because of the altitude around 5500ft, ambient temp around 25º

Logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jFun5OiJWMZzVaNUV6OHR4LVNUUm9fZmtGcFF3YXZ0MGI4/view?usp=sharing

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I got the chance to log one run yesterday at the dragstrip, like i said before, timing advance in 3rd and 4th gear is pretty low, but also are CF`s, all 0`s across the board, i will raise the timing settings on my car to something around 8 or 9 and see how that goes, 9 is the higher i can go.

Please take a look at the logs, any feedback is appreciated, lower g/s are because of the altitude around 5500ft, ambient temp around 25º

Logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jFun5OiJWMZzVaNUV6OHR4LVNUUm9fZmtGcFF3YXZ0MGI4/view?usp=sharing

Looks like you are hitting max advance of 12.8 with zero pulled. Looks solid if not mild. Since you have WM, crank it up add WM as needed

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
Looks like you are hitting max advance of 12.8 with zero pulled. Looks solid if not mild. Since you have WM, crank it up add WM as needed

Just did, went full at 9-9-9 settings, it rips from 1st to 3rd gear :happyanim:, i can only imagine what a proper F23T tune would do, this is a K04 tune.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Just did, went full at 9-9-9 settings, it rips from 1st to 3rd gear :happyanim:, i can only imagine what a proper F23T tune would do, this is a K04 tune.

I bet, you had a lot left on the table, probably still more. Let us see a 4th gear pull (log) from 2500 if you get a chance. It will be interesting to see what those settings equate to in timing advance.

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
Is the revo stage 3 ko4 tune really required? I was emailing franken turbo support in regards to this and they said i should be able to run an fsi stage 2+ file with the f23t.

I have a crack on the hotside of my turbo and my cars been feeling like it doesn't want to hold boost above 3,500rpm (i can't tell what im actually holding at because my boost gauge actually stopped working a few weeks ago :/ )So with that being said ive been considering upgrading it instead of slapping another ko3 in there.

Thanks in advance (didn't mean to thread jack lol)

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
I think it will work to a certain point, requested boost at redline for a Stage 2+ file is usually around 12-14psi, with this turbo or a K04 you would want something close to 20psi.

I got the Stage 3 because i already had Stage 2+ tune credits with the dealer and already had injectors that another tuned asked for, it wasnt a big deal for me at the time.

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
I think it will work to a certain point, requested boost at redline for a Stage 2+ file is usually around 12-14psi, with this turbo or a K04 you would want something close to 20psi.

I got the Stage 3 because i already had Stage 2+ tune credits with the dealer and already had injectors that another tuned asked for, it wasnt a big deal for me at the time.

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh

Gotcha ok, so assuming the worst i just wouldn't get the most out of the turbo upgrade unless I had a tune for the holds boost at redline at or close to 20psi? And the same thing goes with the injectors? It seriously seems to be the cheapest and still best alternative for a turbo upgrade specially considering I already have Revo stage 2 and supporting mods.

As far as what comes in the kit directly from frankenturbo's website;
The pictures show a DV (looks like a stock one) so would I be able to run my awe dv off of my ko3 or will it come with the one they want me to run?

And the wastegate they include or at least picture and assuming it comes with one how is it different from any in the market such as the Forge wastegate?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm seriously considering doing the f23t upgrade the minute my turbo fails on me....more that is lol

thanks again(by the way, do you have a YouTube channel? I think I've come across it before)

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
Gotcha ok, so assuming the worst i just wouldn't get the most out of the turbo upgrade unless I had a tune for the holds boost at redline at or close to 20psi? And the same thing goes with the injectors? It seriously seems to be the cheapest and still best alternative for a turbo upgrade specially considering I already have Revo stage 2 and supporting mods.

As far as what comes in the kit directly from frankenturbo's website;
The pictures show a DV (looks like a stock one) so would I be able to run my awe dv off of my ko3 or will it come with the one they want me to run?

And the wastegate they include or at least picture and assuming it comes with one how is it different from any in the market such as the Forge wastegate?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm seriously considering doing the f23t upgrade the minute my turbo fails on me....more that is lol

thanks again(by the way, do you have a YouTube channel? I think I've come across it before)

Exactly, the car would not perform at its best, it will be faster than the K03 for sure anyway, mine seems to be faster than the K04 counterparts so im happy with it.

I believe Doug has been able to tune the F23T with "stage 2+" hardware and Eurodyne software, i think Drivermotorsport had an F23T tune that didnt required S3 injectors at one point, so it is possible, because of the cost of injectors + labor + downtime it might be a better choice to switch tunes and go with Eurodyne, only if you are willing to do some tuning on your own, or have someone that might do it for you.

I think i am one of the very few that post stuff to youtube with the F23T, see one of my recent runs, closed road in Mexico, recently i put at least a bust lenght win over a 2015 GT on the very same road, this one is fast.