GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Resonator

joevw22

Ready to race!
I'm trying to get my resonator deleted, and I was just going to buy an 18" long 2.5" straight pipe, but all over the internet, there are videos showing a slight curve where the resonator is? I tried to get under my car with a camera, but it was too low and hard to get a good video. I have a 2013 GTI 3dr, I'm just trying to figure this out without having to go to a further extent.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Yeah a straight pipe won’t work. The entrance and the exit of the resonator are not in line with one another. If you’re looking for an easy job ECS Tuning sells a replacement pipe designed for this for about $100, maybe a bit more.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I'm trying to get my resonator deleted, and I was just going to buy an 18" long 2.5" straight pipe, but all over the internet, there are videos showing a slight curve where the resonator is? I tried to get under my car with a camera, but it was too low and hard to get a good video. I have a 2013 GTI 3dr, I'm just trying to figure this out without having to go to a further extent.

The shop that did mine used a straight pipe. It just cuts across diagonally.

Just take it to a muffler shop cost $60 for the pipe and labor.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
The fabrication shop I went to gave it the "S" curve and even a rod to replace the exhaust hangar. $100.

This is why it annoys me when people say "just throw in a straight pipe!" It's not that simple.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I guess that is the cost difference between $60 and $100 lol

I have not had an issues with it after 12k+ miles.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Before I bought turbo back exhaust I had a straight section in mine. I took exhauat off cut out the section with resonater. Cut the straight pipe angled at the ends and welded all back together. My son did the same on his A4 but had to do it twice as first time he screwed it up. Looking back I would just order the delete pipe and would be a lot easier.

NickFury

There is a resonator delete DIY kit that just doesn't need to be welded and you can just cut it your self with a pipe cutter (chain) and put the replacement pipe with some kind of brackets that comes with the replacement pipe.

Here is some dude on youtube that did it him self:

On the other hand I payed at a mufflers shop to delete my resonator for 100$ ( Israel ) on my Golf MK6 1.4 2009, and he just welded there a straight pipe like GolNat posted above.