GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing stuck coilover perches

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I have koni coilovers and one perch is stuck. I'm probably going to beat the hell out of it getting it unstuck. I plan to use some AeroKroil and a heatgun to see If I can get the ring to expand a little and beat the h**l out of it.

I have some replacement perches, do you think I can compress the spring and push the shock down and slip these on or will I have to take off the whole coilover?

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
PB blaster is crap, Kroil is awesome stuff.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I have some replacement perches, do you think I can compress the spring and push the shock down and slip these on or will I have to take off the whole coilover?

You're gonna have to take the coilover off the car since you gotta remove the strut mount to remove the spring & then ultimately remove the perches.
It's not hard since the Koni coilover is so short though. Lube up the base of the strut, remove the swaybar endlink nut (might need to soak that stud), remove the strut pinch bolt & nut, insert strut spreader bit, give it a swift kick to loosen it/drop it down from the hub, then remove the 3 bolts on top & it'll come out.

If you can spin the perch all the way to the bottom (or close to it), you won't even need to compress the spring to remove it (there won't be much pressure on it). Remove the strut nut, remove the mount/bearing, remove spring & then remove the old perch.

And then when you go to reassemble, set the dampening to full firm, pull the strut rod all the way out, spin the new perches down, put the spring back on & you will just have to lightly push down on the strut mount so you can start the nut back on. Then tighten it with a wrench from there

Antiseize on some of these parts will be your best friend in the future as well

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Kroil > PB blaster

Used some Kroil today, was able to see it weeping though to the lower threads after the first application. Used a heat gun and warmed the perch up. Then grabbed the spanner and a hammer and got them moving a little, then grabbed a bigger hammer and broke it loose completely.