GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing Front Wheel Bearing

PA_Dubber

Hey dubbers,

I'm new here as far as posting goes but I've been lurking the forums for a couple years now.

I recently started replacing my driver's side front wheel bearing and have gotten to where you see below in the attached picture. Everything is off but the bearing will not come out of the knuckle. I beat the hub/inner race of the bearing out trying to get this thing out.

I've used a combination of this thread:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110256

And the Bentley manual for the MKV GTI to get to this point but neither of them can help me now.

I've emptied about 2 cans of pb blaster into this thing trying to get it to break free. I recently tried ATF/Acetone mixture to no avail. I cut/ground the front portion of the bearing off to get a decent surface to weld to and welded some bolts to the face of the bearing (one is still standing strong) to try to torque it off but the bolts broke free. I'm running out of ideas here and don't want to go any further before I hit a point where I just have to replace the knuckle.

Also, from the Bentley manual, it says the hex head axle bolt gets 148 ft-lb with the wheel hanging in the air and a 1/2 turn on the ground. The 12-point gets 52 ft-lb and 1/4 turn. I have the 12-point and am concerned about the difference in these torque specs. Does anyone have any insight?

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20161022_205604 (1).jpg
    20161022_205604 (1).jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 626
  • 20161022_205739.jpg
    20161022_205739.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 622
Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I don't understand the axle bolt discrepancy either, but it will be tight either way. Welding on the bearing was probably not helping, you can't just hammer a chisel behind there? Worst case you can cut a slot in the flange and it should come off easy.
I put Passat parts on my car, pm me if you need the whole spindle.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Does not seem like a whole lot of room to get and leverage on it.

If I was doing it gentile heat to the hub and then blast the bearing with something cold to shrink it out (Turn a air duster upside down or toss some ice at it.

There are three axle bolt styles with differing torque needed, there is a recent-ish thread where someone posted photos and tq specs for each.

PA_Dubber

I don't understand the axle bolt discrepancy either, but it will be tight either way. Welding on the bearing was probably not helping, you can't just hammer a chisel behind there? Worst case you can cut a slot in the flange and it should come off easy.
I put Passat parts on my car, pm me if you need the whole spindle.

Tried the chisel and hammer and it was a no go. I may try cutting a slot into it. And thanks, will do if need be.

Does not seem like a whole lot of room to get and leverage on it.

If I was doing it gentile heat to the hub and then blast the bearing with something cold to shrink it out (Turn a air duster upside down or toss some ice at it.

There are three axle bolt styles with differing torque needed, there is a recent-ish thread where someone posted photos and tq specs for each.

Thanks I'll give the heat/cold a shot tomorrow after work.