GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing Door Handle???

vorsprung jerk technique

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf TDI
Hi all i would like to hear from people who have actually done this, I Want to remove my door handles (the whole unit including plastic around barrel) to spray.
My haynes manual says i dont need to take the door skin off as i thought i did is this correct and is the task fairly straight forward?
Cheers Guys, :iono:

dub4orl

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mkv gti
it's not hard and you don't need to take the door skin off.

it's actually pretty much impossible to take the door skin off without taking the handles off first. :thumbup:

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
i think OP is refering to the INTERIOR door handles... yeah?

ZoomBy

Go Kart Champion
i know for the mk4 you had to pop off this little black circle piece of plastic on the inside of the door perpendicular to where the door hand locking mechanism is...there is this cylindrical sort of screw inside there...its a torx screw..i think t-25, you loosen it that up (dont loosen it to much or it will fall into your door and you will have a hell of a time getting it back) once you loosen it up you can pop the locking mechanism out of the door, from there you just slide the handle out. im sure the mk5 is similar if not exactly the same

dub4orl

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mkv gti
i know for the mk4 you had to pop off this little black circle piece of plastic on the inside of the door perpendicular to where the door hand locking mechanism is...there is this cylindrical sort of screw inside there...its a torx screw..i think t-25, you loosen it that up (dont loosen it to much or it will fall into your door and you will have a hell of a time getting it back) once you loosen it up you can pop the locking mechanism out of the door, from there you just slide the handle out. im sure the mk5 is similar if not exactly the same

that's exactly it for the mk5 as well...but as stated previously, he may not be talking about the exterior door handles.

vorsprung jerk technique

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf TDI
Hi all i am refering to exterior handles all 4 the whole handle unit to take out to spray! Cheers for all replies if it is the same as mk4 then thats awesome! :happyanim:

vorsprung jerk technique

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf TDI
Any body removed exterior door handles?

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI

this is pretty much how its done. I took mine off to remove the outer door skins last year.

you pop off the plastic on the back edge of the door, peel off the cloth sticker over the hole, loosen the torx inside. then you pull the door handle (like to open), and while handle is pulled, wiggle the lock mechanism out. once that's out you pop the cable out of the rear side of the handle, then wiggle / pull towards the back of the car to unclip the handle from the post on the front side

vorsprung jerk technique

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf TDI
Awesome Cryptic your a legend i thought that may be the case i can now crack on! :thumbsup:

vorsprung jerk technique

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf TDI
didnt understand a word of that mate can you speak english?

PyRo H4cKeR

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
10 MK6 GTI 6MT
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?&id=2984471

/thread

vorsprung jerk technique

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf TDI
pyro my friend you too are a legend thankyou man! i appreciate it guess what i will be doing this weekend? Thanks muchly!

PyRo H4cKeR

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
10 MK6 GTI 6MT
you're welcome, it's really easy takes about 5 mins.. possibly less just be careful taking off the plastic trim on the inside door, the clips can be broken if you don't take them off carefully