GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removed stock radio head unit now a paperweight?

golfnutintib

New V Dub Enthusiast
Car(s)
07 GLI / 09 GTI
I recently replaced my stock radio head unit in my 09 Mk 5 GTI with an OEM MFD2 nav unit.

Question: the original radio was pulled out - but I don't have the radio code - so is it now a paperweight (e.g., it cannot be installed in another Mk 5 car)? (or would the radio code be in the owners manual?)

Sorry if this is a stupid question

Thanks in advance

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think the code is stored in the computer and can be found using a vagcom.

dschrader

You can still use it. Whoever buys it will just need to go to VW to get the code :) that's what I did, I grabbed original on eBay for 20 pounds others were selling in there 100s!

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think the code is stored in the computer and can be found using a vagcom.
No, the PIN code is NOT accessible from VAG-COM
And with the unit pulled, VAG-COM would not be so easy to do anyway.

The dealer can provide the code if you give them the head unit serial number,
which is embossed on the side of the unit. VAG-COM can read the serial number too if the unit is installed.
Head unit serial numbers start with 'VWZ....'

Just did this for the MFD2 DVD I pulled from my wife's Passat.
Car was bought used, so we did not have the radio code card that came with the car.
Took the serial number to the service writer at my local VW dealer.
Took him about 20 seconds to look it up and it was done at no charge.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Jet, I'm a bit confused by your comment about your wife's car. Why did you need the code? I have pulled my radio out several times and never needed the code. I even left it out for a few years before re-installing it. Was it just so you had it in case you ever needed it? Now that i think about it I don't know if I have a radio code card for my car and I purchased it new off the lot.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Jet, I'm a bit confused by your comment about your wife's car. Why did you need the code? I have pulled my radio out several times and never needed the code.
So it could be put in a different car, she now has a new head unit (RNS-510 - MDI - 9W3 bluetooth).

I even left it out for a few years before re-installing it. Was it just so you had it in case you ever needed it? Now that i think about it I don't know if I have a radio code card for my car and I purchased it new off the lot.
Granted, as long as you do not put in another VW head unit, the ECU
will store in non-volatile memory the last radio code used by a VW head unit.
When you introduce a new VW head unit and enter its code,
that code replaces the ECU stored radio code from the previous head unit.

Stampedevxl

RACECAR > STANCECAR
Car(s)
really?
Isn't it on decal in the trunk I'm pretty sure mine is

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Isn't it on decal in the trunk I'm pretty sure mine is
Only decal in my trunk is the build label with all the option codes ...

... but no radio code there.

The code is supplied on an adhesive label, guess you could put that label in the trunk,
but it is not done that way standard by VW.
Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose if VW put the radio code on a label inside the car?
Seems thieves would learn about that and know to look there when stealing the radio.

My 2001 Jetta and my 2006 GTi both came with a blank radio code card stapled to the owners manual
with the actual code on an adhesive label tucked inside.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Ah, I see what you mean now Jet.