GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Muffler Delete - MKV GTi

Coops

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI DSG
Hi all,

I am getting my exhaust replaced from just infront of that rear "suitcase" muffler. Basically i am planning on cutting from there and getting straight 2.5" out to a new set of chrome tips which look pretty much like the stock ones. Has anyone done a similar mod and if so how does it sound?
If not stay tuned to hear about how it goes on friday. I will take it for a proper drive on saturday when i finish work and let you all know how it goes.

And before you say, i know there is a thread on the international site about this but the ones i saw were a eurojet 3" axle back, so i dont know how this is gonna turn out compared with this.

Coops

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI DSG
thanks for that. I will be sure to avoid that one.
Just to clarify though i am removing the muffler right at the back of the exhaust right before it goes into twin pipes. So i am not gonna touch the resonator at all. So fingers crossed it turns out allright, if no one else has done this mod then i guess i will be your guinnea pig.

Last edited:

Chico

Ready to race!
Coops

Should sound roughly like the AWE system. Of course you are gunna get some drone at certain rpm but you knew that when you decided to take the axe to it. Leave the Res as planned.

If you are DSG get ready for some farts.

Coops

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI DSG
hey everyone, i just dropped my car in to get the muffler delete done and it has been decided that i am going to run 2.5" straight through. I will let you all know this evening about how it turns out.

Coops

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI DSG
Ok people, its done...
It is awesome! It is not any loader at idle, alot deeper sound though, it is a fair bit louder under accelleration, nice and deep. And the burbles and cracks have been amplified nicely. Also the is zero drone, it is as quite as stock just cruising along. This is exactly what i wanted and it only cost me 200 au$. As for the tips, there werent any larger tips that looked good on it and i didnt want a single pipe so the tips are very similar to stock in appearance and size but the protrude out of the back of the car by a very little bit...looks great.
I will post up pictures and videos soon.

(p.s. as for performance loss...no way mate)

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Give it some more time... louder pipes will always fool your butt dyno into thinking you're going faster. Thats why n00bs in lancers and exels with fart cannon exhausts think they are in F1 cars.

Coops

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI DSG
Please explain this in mechanical terms...dont see how better air flow in the system is a problem. And back pressure that far back is not an issue.
PS - io have tested the performance thouroughly and i can guarantee it is achieving the same speeds at the same places at before hand, maybe higher if any change at all.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Give it some more time... louder pipes will always fool your butt dyno into thinking you're going faster. Thats why n00bs in lancers and exels with fart cannon exhausts think they are in F1 cars.

That's right DRMAT, i feel like i'm going faster now with the stock R32 exhaust back on (but it's too quiet).. sound is very deceptive. Unless you get a dyno before and after you'll never know.

I agree give it time as it may drone, and i know people like Mark who tried the first res delete and it was a fart can.

Coops

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI DSG
There is a massive difference between the rear muffler and the resonator. The resonator is called such because it muffles resonent frequencies to minimise drone. My resonator is untouched.

Coops

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI DSG
Yes it is louder under accelleration, but not too loud (i am not a fan of loud "out there" exhausts)..its is hard to quantify, but when i get a video up it might give you an idea. And as i said, most of the time you cant tell that it isnt stock. I havent heard any full exhaust or catbacks, but i would assume this would be a little quieter.