GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

anyone thinking of doing a resonator delete?

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
DON'T

i had mine taken out on friday arvo. it sounded great when i revved it in the shop, sounded great at idle too with this nice little burble to it.

however...
the moment i pulled out of the exhaust shop and opened her up on the road i knew i had made a big mistake and i knew being a friday arvo i had no chance of getting it back in for the weekend

its way too loud and droney but worst of all it lost its nice GTI note. it didnt sound tuned and euro, it was just a noise.

i showed it to my mates and their consensus was "it sounds like SHIT" even Mr X's wife agreed with "sounds like shit" being her phrase of choice.
worst yet my gf said to me "it sounds like a comodore".
so i was stuck listening to this shit house exhaust all weekend! it was only untill today i could get it booked so it could be re fitted and thank christ for that.

it only cost me $80 in the end to take it out and put it back in so im not pissed about wasted money as its really bugger all.

i still want more noise and a nice note but dont let the youtube videos fool you. it does not sound good in real life. i will eventually get a cat back resonated system but in the mean time im saving my money for other things.

so if you're thinking of taking the res out, for the love of god dont!

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Lesson learned, at least it didn't cost you a bundle. Slightly different but i think its one of lifes lessons that loud does not necessarily = sounds good. I learnt when i had a worked Gemini and told the exhaust place i didn't care how it sounded i just wanted max performance.... straight through system (against their recommendations) and took me 2 days to regret it as it was stupidly loud. Cop/EPA magnet and my parents could hear me coming and going from a km away lol.

Jig

Flow Motion
Hear, hear!

GP_GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Can you speak up a bit - I can't quite hear you - I had a few loud exhausts while a young bloke, and my ears are paying dearly for both that and the stupidly loud music :frown:

For an oldie like me there is nothing sweeter than cruising the highway with no exhaust noise, and losing zero performance.

Muffler technology is now so good you lose barely any performance even with whisper quiet operation. :thumbsup:

timj

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 GTI
Heh, if you think it's too loud then your too old :biggrin: Or something like that :smile:

Well, wait until you hear mine now it has had the DP fitted, it no longer farts during gear changes, it now belches hehehe :biggrin: Not a lot louder either, just a deep rumble that I can easily live with at cruising speed, go WOT and it's plenty loud enuff for me :thumbsup:

Anyone in need of a standard turbo back exhaust gimme a shout as mine is now taking up room in the garage :wink:

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
oh and this is what it looked like with the res taken out...

FJ_Steve

Age shall not weary him
I ran a Datto 1600 with a straight through exhaust with 1 muffler (no resonator), and an outlet under the passenger door (a la V8 Supercars). Car was awesome, ran brilliantly, had an awesome note above 3500rpm and the cops never picked on it.

Wouldn't do it now tho'...engines are built with much finer tolerances than circa 1970.

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
hmm.... you know if you fancied a catless... could you take to a Stock DP? :biggrin:

Mutilation

FJ_Steve

Age shall not weary him

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
LOL trouble is they don't even pull you over these days, cop or EPA officer sees/ hears you drive past and next thing you have an EPA letter. In Vic they've even been tossing around the idea of 'noise cameras' so if the vehicle noise is too loud you get snapped... although they've been tossing it around for years now.

NGT10V

going, going, GONE
my exhaust is perfect. it has a high flow cat and one muffler in the middle and it hardly makes any noise, seriously.