GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RE: Golf GTI V50 - VW Warranty - APR Tuned

maolin34

Passed Driver's Ed
RE: Golf GTI V50 - VW Warranty - APR Tuned

As the OP of this thread, and having not responded since I started it...I will first apologize. Second, I will say that competition is what makes business and products better. That said, I still not sure my question was answered.

I think that APR reps have implied a more optimistic view point on the issue of whether or not APR tunes will ever be factory warrantied. Revo obviously believes otherwise. As a potential customer of either product, I think that the information provided was helpful, and will not deter me from my current choice of APR, but actually reinforces my decision. It seems as though Revo's rep was not optimistic of being able to provide a product that would be covered under the VAG warranty. I would prefer to buy from a company that will continue to push to address my concerns as a customer. Quite honestly, if the research and development is done by VW/APR, VW might see that covering this tune under the warranty would sell more cars in the US.

Sorry for the long post, and now for the questions...

1) From APR's site, "Also, all APR software is undetectable to a dealers VAG diagnostic tool." If I have stock mode as an option, please confirm that the dealer will not be able to identify my ECU mod.

2) I have been reading alot about intake cam replacements associated with APR Stage 2 cars and wondered if there is an identified cause, and why VAG is willing to replace under warranty.

3) Lastly, I plan on getting an 09' DSG in the next week or so. I was hoping to go with at least APR Stage 1, with Stock program, and a Forge DV. Is there anything else I should consider initially?

Thanks to all!

TheJakofallTrads

Car-less
Car(s)
Audi RS3
1) From APR's site, "Also, all APR software is undetectable to a dealers VAG diagnostic tool." If I have stock mode as an option, please confirm that the dealer will not be able to identify my ECU mod.

2) I have been reading alot about intake cam replacements associated with APR Stage 2 cars and wondered if there is an identified cause, and why VAG is willing to replace under warranty.

3) Lastly, I plan on getting an 09' DSG in the next week or so. I was hoping to go with at least APR Stage 1, with Stock program, and a Forge DV. Is there anything else I should consider initially?

Thanks to all!

1) It is very unlikely for your dealer to detect you are chipped as long as you have both the "stock mode" and the security lockout option from APR.

2) Stage 2 cars often see fuel cuts, cam follower issues are more often seen with aftermarket HPFP on Stage 2+ cars. Don't worry about cam follower issues if you plan on buying a 2008.5 or later MKV GTI with a TSI motor. The cam was re-designed to utilize a roller design. No cam follower issues, no fueling issues, the TSI HPFP requests fuel pressure at 150bar without issue, above Stage 2+ requests on BPY FSI motors.

3) Security lockout, an option offered from APR. The Forge DV isn't necessary, as your car will most likely have a "Revision D" DV that is diaphragm-less.

I personally have APR Stage 1 software on my 08.5 TSI and could not be happier. Hope that helps.

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
I wouldnt say impossible to detect :wink:

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
^ True, it's definitely not "impossible," but it might be more trouble than it's worth for your dealer. It's "very unlikely."

Very true, I also highly doubt they would go through all the trouble for it. But ya never know, There are some real dick dealers hahaha.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

With the car in stock mode, and security lock out enabled, the dealership will have no indication the car is chipped. They will not be able to see any changed values. The flash counters and everything else related to flashing will be exactly the same as it was before getting the APR software. If the dealership logs the vehicle in stock mode, they will see the same values as if the car was never flashed since stock mode with an APR vehicle is an identical copy of the stock calibration. With security lockout, they will be unable to switch programs and will have no indication program switching exists. The only way for them to figure out your chipped is to either know how to switch programs and figure out your security code, which would be equivalent to hacking someones ATM pin number. The only other way would be to remove the ECU unit and ship it to Germany, have the code read out bit by bit and compared to the original unit by Bosch. The cost of this would be astronomical to the dealership and has never and will likely never happen.

This is a problem with every vehicle, including stock, and is not an APR issue. The reason you see more APR people with this issue is simply because more people are running APR. Also, I noticed you want an 09. The 09 does not have cam lobe issues like the earlier FSI vehicles. You will not be affected by this old OEM problem which was addressed by VW/Audi.

I would suggest not changing your DV as the factory valve is a maintenance free item. I very seldom see any issues with the new stock DV's and have not seen any issues with our race cars, stage 3 cars, and k04 cars in house that would make me suggest swapping out the DV for an aftermarket unit.

maolin34

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all of the information, I would like to wait for a 2010 GTI...but it's just to far off. I turn in my current lease in about a week.

I will update once I get my GTI, and get chipped!!

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
wow, thanx arin, that definantly cleared up alot about ppl wondering if they can be detected by the dealer if theyre chipped...even if they are in stock mode....Thanks! :thumbsup:

If you go stock mode, you will boost higher than stock for a while before the program settles completely. I suggest if you're going to service to set it to stock a couple days before.

I don't know how long, because I used stock for a day, and it still boosted more than stock. Arin, can you confirm how long it will take?