GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RandomUserName's 2009 MKV GTI build thread...

RandomUserName

Ready to race!
Well its been awhile since I have updated this thread with build related stuff, so I figure now is the time.

Engine - The engine is running great. No issues at all with the operation of it. Starts everytime. Almost time for an oil change. The only issue I have is a small leak of coolant on the back of the block on the line to the turbo. I need a small, hex bodied XZN bit to tighten it. Its real tight back there with the k04, and my XZN's wont fit. Not really looking to remove the turbo either.

Software - It's been running great, albeit I'm still waiting for my fully loaded ecu. The local APR dealer isn't keen on touching my car anymore, since the issue the last time they touched it. And I can't say I'm eager to use them anyways. I think I am going to wait for APR to release their new software, and get it all done at the same time. About 3000km on it now.

Clutch - It's broken in nicely. Still quite a bit heavier than my stock clutch, or my 04 TDI's sachs quiet clutch kit. But not overly hard. The only thing that annoys me to no end is when my shoes are wet, or snowy, they slip all over the cutch pedel since it is quite a bit heavier. Small complaint, but it annoys me. I must say I do regret not installing an LSD. I kick myself in the ass everyday about it. I loose traction all the time, even with my snow tires on. About 3000km on it now.

Suspension - I swapped the stock springs back in last winter, before all the major downtime. The H&R SS are just too low for the area that I drive in. I need to upgrade some of the suspension components to better handle the power from the k04. That will be the project for this year.

Synapse DV - It functions just as it should. I have noticed a small increase in throttle response when in low vacuum, but not enough to warrant the work to incorporate the valve into the system.

Since I still have the stock intake, I had to replace the silicone connector between the turbo inlet and the pipe with one that had a 1" Tee. Then, added the silicone tubing, put the stock TB pipe with the noise pipe adapter, a few hose clamps and some connectors and voila.... It worked. I also added a 034 DV Blockoff Sleeve (courtesy of Issam), so I wouldn't throw any codes. I may need to adjust the preload, but it is working fine now. Not a huge difference, but noticable.

I have been slowly parting out the other engine. Sold the block, pistons and rods for it. I am debating on ripping the injectors out of the other head, sending them to get cleaned and checked, and building the CCTA head. Valves, springs, retainers. Swapping it over to this block when the time is right.

The near future I see an intercooler upgrade, and an intake. And I need to do a bit of exhaust work.

Intercooler - Can't argue with APR. Won't pay that price...... So.......??

Intake - The only one that I see is the BSH TSI Race that satisfies my requirements. I want one that has a port for the DV. CTS used to have one, but I can't find it on their site anymore. I am very fond of the Modshack design, but I still like the 1 piece design. So.......???

So there you have it. When the snow clears, I'll get some more pics of it up and the eventual transformation. I guess I went about it differently than others. I did all the hard stuff first, clutch, turbo, engine removal..... Now everything left is a lot easier.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Man I just read this whole thread and I can't believe all the shit you've been through. Talk about ups and downs. Insane. I would have lost all patience and probably given up by now if I were you. Incredible that you saw this through until now, and have the car running well.

Absolutely the best of luck to you on finally being able to ENJOY your K04 and finally a tune that works. Don't give up the good fight and I only hope if my GTI ever goes down this road I can have half of your drive to get it going again. :thumbsup:

RandomUserName

Ready to race!
Man I just read this whole thread and I can't believe all the shit you've been through. Talk about ups and downs. Insane. I would have lost all patience and probably given up by now if I were you. Incredible that you saw this through until now, and have the car running well.

Absolutely the best of luck to you on finally being able to ENJOY your K04 and finally a tune that works. Don't give up the good fight and I only hope if my GTI ever goes down this road I can have half of your drive to get it going again. :thumbsup:

Thanks man. I really appreciate it.

It means a lot to have a great community behind you in your endevours. I try to share what I can with the community that has helped me out so many times. I try to give back as much as I can.

If I can help one person with their project, then I consider it worthwhile.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Well you just may be helping me one day. If I end up having to pull my motor for whatever reason you'll be the first one I talk to about it. If/when I end up doing any major work like turbo swaps/etc. I may be contacting you. It's all a pipe dream right now because I'm so broke, but who knows what the future holds.

RandomUserName

Ready to race!
A quick update..

Everything is running very smooth. Although the Polar Vortex (aka Winter) has been wrecking my drive time. I, of course, am still waiting for the release of the new APR software. Still running Low Torque programs in the first 3 spots, and a production 91 file in the 4th spot. Once the new software comes out, I'll get it all done at the same time.

I decided to remove the flow restrictor in the bleeder valve yesterday. I had read some people the recommended doing it, but not a lot of discussion about it. So here is my story.

After upgrading the clutch with a SB STG 3 Daily kit, the pedal was VERY heavy. And the engagement was a little funny - I would describe it as fluttery I guess. The engagement of each shift was different almost everytime. I had to really work to get it to operate smoothly. And holding the clutch in for long periods of time was an unimaginable thought.

So I figured it was time to look into fixing it yesterday. I know the ECS block has removed the restrictor from the valve, but I wasn't into buying the piece to "try" it out...

So I drilled the stock on out.....

AND WOW! I can't stress how much of an improvement it is. Engagements are repeatable, and smooth. No flutter when doing some power shifting. Nothing. The exact way that I wanted the car to drive.

I've only put 50 km on it so far, but it has made the car MUCH better as a daily.

Intercooler

I am still toying with the idea of a custom twintercooler setup.

A small PT core, custom silicone and metal connectors. Tig welds. Yeah, I can do it. It's just the time and energy required. And since no one buys "stock" GTI intercoolers, I'd rather add capacity and not more parts to my garage.

I still half an engine in there......

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Hey man! Glad to see everything's going well. Long time no talk, would love to come out and see this beast once the weather gets warmer!!

Tapatalkin

RandomUserName

Ready to race!
Hey man! Glad to see everything's going well. Long time no talk, would love to come out and see this beast once the weather gets warmer!!

Tapatalkin

For sure brother. Hopefully the unrelenting polar vortex lets up, and we can get together.

Pics of what you drilled out?

I didn't take a pic of it. But imagine removing the bleeder block. It's shaped like an upside down Tee. Remove both of the clips on the lines running through it, remove the valve, and then remove the clip holding the actual bleeder.

Once thats all done, when you look through the valve, from TOB connection side to supply side, you will see that there is only a very small pin hole that lets fluid through. I drilled it out, enlarging the hole. It's very easy to do.

RandomUserName

Ready to race!
Update...

The bleeder block mod has been great. The clutch feels a lot better, smoother. But it has elevated my need for motor mounts. I am leaning towards the DLI units, they look to be the best option for our salt infested winter roads up here. I HATE buying things twice, and even the thought of replacing worn motor mount bushings make me cringe....

But, I bought something else in the meantime, which has put the mounts on the back burner for a slight bit....

Its...

A....

TIG WELDER!....

I got a wicked deal on a AC/DC tig unit with HF start, and a host of other goodies. This will help with some of the other projects that I want to do, but I don't want to shell out cash for something, and then modify it for my needs.

I am looking to make some custom things in the next few months, time allowing. Intake, TOP, Intercooler connections for adding my PT intercooler, TB pipe. And maybe a new turboback exhaust. I like to fab my own stuff, because it allows me to choose which components I want, like mufflers, resonator, and DV relocate TB pipe exit position.

Unfortunately, the unit will not be in until next week, so I am trying to figure out in what order I want to proceed. I think the intake is first priority.

I'll post some pics of the progress as I go along for you following along at home.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Custom stuff! Want to use my car as a test vehicle? :wub:

Tapatalkin

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Haha... Is there anything left for you to get that you don't already have?

I have a 2.75" downpipe with a cat.. And it's really old. Been considering getting a catless 3" with a resonator to replace it

Budget would be about 450 bucks

Tapatalkin

RandomUserName

Ready to race!
I have a 2.75" downpipe with a cat.. And it's really old. Been considering getting a catless 3" with a resonator to replace it

Budget would be about 450 bucks

Tapatalkin

Hmm... Sounds interesting. Once I get some more practise, we'll talk and see what can be done for you. I got quite a few shops around me that do SS bending.