GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rainbow IQ 320.25 install, reviews, and pics

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
What amp is everyone planning to run? I'm in the market right now. I would really prefer a single amp to handle the fronts and my sub...something that fits under the driver seat. The Alpine PDX is on my list simply because they fit my needs...never been an Alpine fan. I'm patiently waiting to see what the new Zed units have to offer. The JL 900/5 also looks to be a good option but I believe it's gonna be stoopid expensive compared to the PDX 5.

Car(s)
2019 White GTI SE
What amp is everyone planning to run? I'm in the market right now. I would really prefer a single amp to handle the fronts and my sub...something that fits under the driver seat. The Alpine PDX is on my list simply because they fit my needs...never been an Alpine fan. I'm patiently waiting to see what the new Zed units have to offer. The JL 900/5 also looks to be a good option but I believe it's gonna be stoopid expensive compared to the PDX 5.

I think the PDX would be perfect for you. That's the amp I want when I get the money. Right now I'm running an MRP-M500 for my sub and an MRP-F300 bridged for the IQs. I love them but it would have been so much easier to run just one amp. Plus, the PDX has been known to be way underrated.

plac

GTI Master
The Alpine PDX is on my list simply because they fit my needs...never been an Alpine fan.

Same here. I have never liked Alpine amps, and I've had at least 10, including 2 PDX models. You can't beat them for size, unless you look at the Arc Mini's which I have also had. The Arc Mini 4.125 is an option also for fronts and subs. I'd say its overall smaller than the PDX, though different dimensions. If I want quality, pure and simple, I get nothing but Tru Technology.

1canuck2

Ready to race!
So, the second round group buy is delayed until Monday, pending some reviews from you first rounders...

Anyone planning on getting things done this weekend so they can give some quality feedback? I am really eager to get some speakers and based on your guys' feedback, it may well be the Rainbows.

So far, this thread is shaping up into an awesome discussion, there's just a sense of waiting with baited breath for the real consensus. You guys were the willing guinea pigs for these Rainbows (which I appreciate) and I eagerly await your verdicts...

I plan on amping with an Alpine MRP-F250 installed under the passenger seat (which I need help with) and I would like to use the stock wiring (I have a harness) from behind the HU. I will also be adding a 10" JL sub in the trunk amped with a MRP-M350.

I have not decided on an HU yet, but don't wanna spend more than $500.

So, I would like to know:

HU: Stock or aftermarket (and which one)
Amp: Stock or aftermarket (and which one)
Wiring: Stock or custom pulled
Sub: No or Yes (and which one)

And most importantly:
Impressions of the speakers (and what you are comparing against).
Would you buy them again if you were starting over.

I am a demanding bastard, aren't I?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I hear the PDX is a good amp...not audiophile necessarily but plenty good for daily driving. My recent past amps have been DLS and Elemental Designs - happy with both. The Arc Mini 4.125 isn't enough amp for my liking and I really don't want to run a pair. What does Tru Tech have that fits the bill (single chassis small enough to fit under the driver seat with at least 2X100 + 1X300)?

Same here. I have never liked Alpine amps, and I've had at least 10, including 2 PDX models. You can't beat them for size, unless you look at the Arc Mini's which I have also had. The Arc Mini 4.125 is an option also for fronts and subs. I'd say its overall smaller than the PDX, though different dimensions. If I want quality, pure and simple, I get nothing but Tru Technology.

plac

GTI Master
I hear the PDX is a good amp...not audiophile necessarily but plenty good for daily driving. My recent past amps have been DLS and Elemental Designs - happy with both. The Arc Mini 4.125 isn't enough amp for my liking and I really don't want to run a pair. What does Tru Tech have that fits the bill (single chassis small enough to fit under the driver seat with at least 2X100 + 1X300)?

You would only run (1) 4.125, but the power wouldn't be quite up to snuff. TRU has nothing in the small footprint, i just meant when quality is priority over space.

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32

i went for the PDX.5 and i must say for the price i am extremely pleased, i will run bridged for the front three ways and that should be plenty of power with included overhead. the sub channel has plenty of power as well.

another great thing about the PDX.5 is it fits perfectly (almost like it was designed to) under the passenger seat, for those of you who are not aware, the passenger seat has less space underneath for an amp then the drivers seat does, so you can keep the larger spot for something else that you might need space for in the future.

i am sure there are higher quality amps out there, but this fits the bill perfectly for me. i would recommend it.

So, the second round group buy is delayed until Monday, pending some reviews from you first rounders...

Anyone planning on getting things done this weekend so they can give some quality feedback? I am really eager to get some speakers and based on your guys' feedback, it may well be the Rainbows.

unfortunately my weekend is shaping up to be very packed so i do not think i will have time to complete the install, if i do however i will try to provide the feedback before monday.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I can't imagine the JL 900/5 is worth whatever it's gonna cost compared to the PDX...at least for my purposes. Unless something awesome shows up in the next few weeks I'll probably order up a PDX.

Car(s)
2019 White GTI SE
HU: Stock or aftermarket (and which one)
Amp: Stock or aftermarket (and which one)
Wiring: Stock or custom pulled
Sub: No or Yes (and which one)

And most importantly:
Impressions of the speakers (and what you are comparing against).
Would you buy them again if you were starting over.

I am a demanding bastard, aren't I?

HU: Kenwood DNX7120
AMP: Alpine MRP-F300 bridged at 150Wx2
Wiring: Custom pulled 16 AWG
Sub: JL 10w3v3 4ohm in a Wicked CAS enclosure powered by an Alpine MRP-M500 for 300W

So the only thing I have to compare this set to is the stock system. So, take my opinions or leave it.

Build quality: Since I don't have too much experience with aftermarket speakers I will limit my comment to this: The terminals on the 8" driver are a bit flimsyand could stand to be beefed up.

Ease of install: As others have said this set is NOT plug'n'play. The wiring included in the kit is not complete. Though the tweeters include adapters, the leads are too short making it impossible to hook into the stock harness without modification. There are no adapters for the mid and the terminals are not even marked for polarity. Though I did figure it out by comparing them with the pictures in the instruction booklet (in German).
The speakers themselves drop right in with the included brackets. Though the screws they included to mount the woofer were garbage as they didn't bite into the plastic bracket at all. I ended up using 1/2" #8 screws from home depot.

Sound: Like I said I can only compare this to the stock system. After playing with the crossover settings a bit, (at least this part of the instructions was in English) I think they sound great! The highs are nice and smooth not harsh like the stock tweeter. The mid is super clear. I have the mid bass and sub crossed at 60 Hz and the mid bass really thumps!

All in all I feel that this set is definitely worth the money. Could you piece together a better system? Sure. But they would not be so easy to install. Could Rainbow have made this set more plug'n'play? Yes. But they took care of the hard stuff and it really isn't that difficult to wire into the stock harness if that what you wanted to do. I chose to run my own wire because I was using an amp, which is necessary to get the full effect from this set anyway.

I plan on amping with an Alpine MRP-F250 installed under the passenger seat (which I need help with) and I would like to use the stock wiring (I have a harness) from behind the HU. I will also be adding a 10" JL sub in the trunk amped with a MRP-M350.

That MRP-F250 should be fine to power the 3-ways. Though, I'm using an MRP-F300 set to supply about 100Wx2 and it is running pretty hot. Too hot to touch even.

In my opinion you are going to want more than that MRP-M350 for the sub. At least 300W. If I were to turn up the gains to supply 150W to each door I think I would need more sub power as I am pushing that 300W already. Keep in mind, I like a lot of low end. Time to switch to a 2 Ohm sub....

CoccoBill

Ready to race!
Genesis is notorious for understating their output. Besides, what kind of difference are you expecting from say 2x75W vs 2x100W?

The 8"s have a sensitivity of 90dB, so theoretically with 75W you can get about 109dB, with 100W a little over 110dB. Is that really significant?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
So show me the model with 2X75 + 1X300 that fits under the front seat.