GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rainbow IQ 320.25 install, reviews, and pics

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32
What exactly are the dimensions under your seats ? I can try to help, but without knowing I may appear a bit silly with some !

i do not know the dimensions, but i can tell you that the PDX.5 fits in just right on the passenger side, if the amp has a larger footprint then the PDX.5 it will not fit under the passenger seat.

# PDX Series 5-Channel Class D Car Amplifier
# RMS Power Rating:

* 4 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan. + 300 watts x 1 chan.
* 2 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan. + 300 watts x 1 chan.
* Bridged, 4 ohms: 150 watts x 2 chan. + 300 watts x 1 chan.

# MOSFET power supply
# LED power and protection indicators
# Stackable operation allows for multi-amplifier setup
# 5/3 Channel operation
# Soft turn-on circuitry
# Heavy duty aluminum alloy heatsink
# Variable high-pass filter (30-400 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
# Variable low-pass filter (50-200 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
# CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
# Frequency response: 20-20000 Hz
# Dimensions: 10-1/8"L x 7-9/16"W x 2-7/16"H
# 4-gauge power and ground wiring is required for installation. Contact us for information regarding a discount on select amplifier kits when purchased together with this amplifier.

I got my PDX.5 for $380 shipped

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
That's a nice option. 2X135 + 1X380. It's definitely more expensive then a PDX5 but $680 isn't insane for a high quality amp. I've got this problem with buying the best thing I can afford even if something else will be perfectly acceptable. That's how I ended up getting the DLS Ultimate A5 for my last car...I just wanted it. I really doubt I could tell the difference between this GZ and a PDX5 considering the source unit (RNS 510) and speakers I'll be running...and in a car. I need to just order a damn PDX5 and be done with it :mad0259:

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32
From an authorized dealer with full warranty?

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x ALPINE PDX-5 5 CHANNEL CAR POWER AMPLIFIER AMP PDX5 (PDX5) = $348.95
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $348.95
Standard Shipping (USA shipping): $17.95
Total: $366.90

i do believe they are an authorized dealer, but apparently there are no longer selling these amps.

That's a nice option. 2X135 + 1X380. It's definitely more expensive then a PDX5 but $680 isn't insane for a high quality amp. I've got this problem with buying the best thing I can afford even if something else will be perfectly acceptable. That's how I ended up getting the DLS Ultimate A5 for my last car...I just wanted it. I really doubt I could tell the difference between this GZ and a PDX5 considering the source unit (RNS 510) and speakers I'll be running...and in a car. I need to just order a damn PDX5 and be done with it :mad0259:

the PDX.5 is a fine amp for the price. car audio has a quick point of diminishing returns, please do not overspend then cruise the freeway to have the wind noise and road noise drown out all the $$$ you spent.

if you are into audio competitions and such, they go all out, but most of the time the car is rolling and you just cannot hear most of the money you have spent on your system.

6spdcoupe

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'06 E55 AMG
i do not know the dimensions, but i can tell you that the PDX.5 fits in just right on the passenger side, if the amp has a larger footprint then the PDX.5 it will not fit under the passenger seat.

I will look into a bit just for fun anyway. :thumbsup:

Although out what I normally sell -
Genesis
TRU
DLS
Brax/Helix
Zapco
Celestra
etc ..

It may be a bit difficult. However I am fairly certain the Celestra RAs would fit, but again, not the pockets !

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Let's start with what fits the needs/wants first...price is a secondary consideration.

Size - Roughly 10X8X3 give or take slightly
Power - 3/4/5 channels (5 channel preferred) with at least 2X75 and 1X300

The PDX5 is my basis for comparison 4X75 or 2X150 plus 1X300. I like 5 channels because it gives me the option to go semi-active up front at some point if I decide to mess with that. So the new JL HD 900/5 looks great to me but will probably be $1k+ :eyebulge:

6spdcoupe

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'06 E55 AMG
I can surely help, but we absolutely must leave the paper spec racing behind. ;)

A prime example would be when I let one of my clients take a TRU Billet 475 to try out for a week. He already had a PDX 4.150 and JL HD (dont recall model) both were approx on paper 300 X 2 (bridged) Vs the Billet's mere 150 X 2. All actual listening experience aside as it is subjective - he returned two days later (rather than the full week) to purchase a Billet 4100 and B-Four.

Published numbers are great to look at, but so are strippers at the bar. :smile:

chadillac3

Zapco
Don...to be fair, all the TRU amps I ran had what I'd consider overly sensitive gains...i.e. they didn't take much turning to get max power out of the amp. With that said, that was the original T series (2.100, 4.65, 4.100) so it's possible the gain structure was reconfigured.

6spdcoupe

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'06 E55 AMG
I can't argue with you there Chad, they have had major changes across the board. Truth be told the current Steels are a all around better amp than the Ts were !

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Fair enough Don. I realize this thread has gone on a tanget while we wait for some install reviews of the Rainbows. Let's take the discussion to a new thread.

Amp for Rainbows

Car(s)
2019 White GTI SE
How I mounted my crossovers:

P.S. I need sound deadening really bad!

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I need some help quick. I'm trying to do my install today but since I don't have an amp yet I'm just running off the RNS 510. I'd prefer not to bother running new speaker wire into the doors at this point...do it when I get my amp. So what I'm trying to figure out is what wire in the door is carrying the damn main signal from the head unit? looking at the instructions that came with the Rainbows it almost looks like the wire that plugs into the factory 6" is the incoming signal and that gets fed through to the other OEM speakers? The factory tweeter has a capacitor on it but does the stock mid have a x-over of some sort? I'm happy to run new wire between the Rainbow components inside the door, just need to find the proper feed.