GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rainbow IQ 320.25 install, reviews, and pics

plac

GTI Master
Speaking of deadening.. I am finally able to let go of my love for Dynamat Xtreme, it is all i have every bought for the last 10 years.. i now am looking for something less stiff, and easier to apply. i actually prefer not to use the paint style, as i always like to be able to bring the car back stock. But I would consider it also. I know a lot of people have tested many kinds of deadening. I have only tested the one i mentioned above.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I've used eDead in several cars and have been satisfied. They have several versions and it is relatively inexpensive.

plac

GTI Master
specifically on what i want in my next deadening is something more pliable than the dyn. xtreme. my fingers and thumbs get wrecked pushing that aluminum and tar sheets into all the curves. i had a roller but its no good for the tiny spots and curves in the door.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I've never worksd with DM Extreme but the eDead is pretty soft. My thumbs still got a bit sore from working it though. I used the butt of a large screw driver to help over large areas.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Hmm will have to think about doing the dynamat but some people (including the shop) have said the mk5 doors don't really need it as it doesn't fix the rattles which is why i was looking into some tac mat (dynamat foam). It wasn't an issue with the 6.5" in the door but now with 8" the door trim can rattle (not the metal). Understand about the resonance and will ask the shop about it.

Plac had dynamat but took it out as it didn't fix the rattles:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82260

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI
Hmm will have to think about doing the dynamat but some people (including the shop) have said the mk5 doors don't really need it as it doesn't fix the rattles which is why i was looking into some tac mat (dynamat foam).

I wish I could show you the difference between my deadened driver's & non-deadened passenger's door. It really makes the difference.

plac

GTI Master
Hmm will have to think about doing the dynamat but some people (including the shop) have said the mk5 doors don't really need it as it doesn't fix the rattles which is why i was looking into some tac mat (dynamat foam). It wasn't an issue with the 6.5" in the door but now with 8" the door trim can rattle (not the metal). Understand about the resonance and will ask the shop about it.

Plac had dynamat but took it out as it didn't fix the rattles:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82260

true... i did a pretty decent job of it, and still had the classic bass rattle.. rear of door right up top by window slot..

but when i install that Blaupunkt amp and harness, i will be redoing the matting again, maybe trying to do a better job.

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI
More on the Rainbows crossover quality... today I'm on my way home from work & I hear some knocking in inside of my door. Pop my door panel off earlier & there's one of the crossover circuit boards just slapping around, only hanging on by the speaker wires.

It had completely fell out of it's housing just like the one on the other door did. If you get Rainbows, make sure you check that all of your circuit boards are firmly secured in their housings & the woofer metal deal is also secured before you install these or you'll be pulling your doors apart again....

Seriously, for $400, you would think the quality would be complete throughout the 3-way set...

:mad:

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I noted this earlier in my install review. Circuit boards are not secure in the housing...best to address it with some epoxy or hot glue before you install. Also, the large copper coils were not completely secure to the circuit boards.

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI
If you mount them in the locations I have them, the cover plates actually fit on them. I glued the crossover down & put the cover plate on like I should have.

If you're in a 4 door, definately make sure your crossovers are good & secured if you have to go w/o the covers to make them fit.

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32
More on the Rainbows crossover quality... today I'm on my way home from work & I hear some knocking in inside of my door. Pop my door panel off earlier & there's one of the crossover circuit boards just slapping around, only hanging on by the speaker wires.

It had completely fell out of it's housing just like the one on the other door did. If you get Rainbows, make sure you check that all of your circuit boards are firmly secured in their housings & the woofer metal deal is also secured before you install these or you'll be pulling your doors apart again....

Seriously, for $400, you would think the quality would be complete throughout the 3-way set...

:mad:

i unfortunately did not re-enforce the crossovers. i am not looking forward to the day that i have to take everything apart again. i installed my xovers in the outer portion of the door so ill need to remove the damn door handles and skin again!

uhhh... what a pain.

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI
i unfortunately did not re-enforce the crossovers. i am not looking forward to the day that i have to take everything apart again. i installed my xovers in the outer portion of the door so ill need to remove the damn door handles and skin again!

uhhh... what a pain.

Hopefully yours are cool. Did you have room for the cover plates? If you got those on, I think you'll have a lot less of of a chance of the circuit boards falling out.

There is always the case of the woofer coil working itself loose. Only one of mine was loose/shaky. The other one seemed securely bound to the circuit board. Good luck.

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32
Hopefully yours are cool. Did you have room for the cover plates? If you got those on, I think you'll have a lot less of of a chance of the circuit boards falling out.

There is always the case of the woofer coil working itself loose. Only one of mine was loose/shaky. The other one seemed securely bound to the circuit board. Good luck.

yes, i had the covers on them. i bet if the woofer coils break loose and rattle inside the box they should be ok? unless the rattles start driving me nuts.

i would be interested in getting a quote on a high end 3 way that could work with our cars to really compare and hash out this option once and for all.

i am happy with the improvements however i cannot help but have a few complaints :-(