GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 Headunit upgrade

Booba

Ready to race!
They are a load of rubbish.

DrtyNinja

Filangies... do my werk..
Don't do it!!! I have a Rosen I'll sell you .. New it's $1500 and I'll sell it to you for or $450 with your stock radio swap..

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
Yeah don't ruin a fine car but putting cheap crap in it.

xc17ed

I just did an RCD510 (non-nav) into my R32, great upgrade. Check eBay if you want nav and get a genuine RNS510 everything else will have at least some quirks I'm sure.

xc17ed

Check out the RCD510, not too expensive I paid $550 supplied w/ antenna adapter, installed and coded (you have to provide canbus gateway if you need it) in Sydney from my mechanic (listed in my sig)

morty

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk5 R32 3door
That's a Waywell unit shown on ebay, not on Rosen. You'll find a mega-thread on those originally started some 18 months ago by Bazzle. There are many happy users of the Waywell unit who bought it direct from the Shengzen factory a while back (me included). Total price landed even back then was $500, and that was when the dollar was about 0.77 USD so you should be able to get it landed for $400 tops. BUT, buying it off ebay will give you a little more recourse IF there's something wrong with the unit. A couple of folk did receive faulty units back in the day, and I understand they had to wear the return postage costs to get another unit to replace it.

The unit itself has been absolutely fine for me - in fact, in some respects I think it's better than the OEM option because it is more flexible (e.g. whatever maps you want to load, much more 'open' ipod / USB stick link ups, separate SD card slot if you want to use that for music). The sound quality is also very good for a unit that costs very little.

In the WD6050 thread (mentioned above) you'd probably also find a sydney forum user who would be willing to give you a hand installing it - so long as you're not installing the rear view camera, it's no sweat. Installing the rear view camera is A LOT of sweat to do it properly!

So, back when I bought mine, there weren't OEM GPS options for $1,000. I would check whether any OEM one has bluetooth. I suspect you may need to buy the bluetooth pack on top of it - which if you source locally will cost you another $500ish I think. But I'm happy to be wrong on that. The Waywell comes with bluetooth... I bought it instead of buying just bluetooth when Victoria brought in its new "don't fiddle with your gadgets while driving" laws.

If I was buying now, and if I was actually able to find one of those OEM ones that did have bluetooth, I'd probably go with that simply to be able to refer to it as 'factory GPS' if it came time to sell the R. But that's not saying the Waywell (the second gen one, which is high-res 640*480) isn't a good unit - it is a lot of bang for very little buck.

My $0.02.

buckets

Ready to race!
I also bought the Waywell originally (one of the early ones) and was less than satisfied in the long run. The bluetooth microphone needed to be replaced as the one in the unit was too small and positioned incorrectly. The iPod integration was basically non existent and, in fact, the unit didn't integrate at all with the rest of the car. Correct me if I'm wrong but this unit still needs the ignition to be in the "on" position for the unit to be powered.

Overall, the RNS I picked up for just over the grand delivered is a much nicer unit for integration into the car and overall use. Even though it doesn't have bluetooth as standard.

SonicMrSumo

Rock and/or Roll!
I also had a WD6050 and these are the issues I had over the 12 months I had it in the car:

- SATNAV took forever to find a signal, and sometimes just didn't find one.
- sound via the iPod connector gradually started to distort over time, until in the end it was entirely static.
- overall sound started to distort over time, and then failed completely.
- as a last hoorah, it then blew 5 of my speakers.

Based on this experience, I could not recommend this product to anyone.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
They are a load of rubbish.

x 2 absolute crap and not worth it at half the price.

They don't even work with the aerial system in the golf (diversity) so you end up with poor reception.

On top of that you have to content with battery drain issues, blown can bus, having to hack the loom to get them to work and the list keeps going.