GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Q about Konis set ALL the way down

Zach L

VR junkie
I've read a ton of threads and understand that Koni coilovers ride better, are more comfortable, and are better quality than FK Hightsport coilovers.

My question is - does SLAMMING the Koni's all the way down significantly change the ride quality? ...so much so that FKs set at the same height would actually have a better ride? Does anyone have personal experience in Koni ALL THE WAY DOWN and FKs at similar height?

Just asking because if I go with the Koni's I'd most likely run them with all the way down, maybe even with the rear perches out.

BTW, this is the pic that has me considering Koni's if the ride is still better than the FKs when the Koni's are slammed

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
I'd say the konis would probably ride better than the highsports.. I don't remember what shocks are in the highsports (sachs? boge?) but the konis are going to have koni yellow adjustable inserts.

the higher prices fk's do run the same koni shocks, but the bodies are just threaded more. anyways, I like my koni's, they are all the way down in the front and it still rides great for the most part

Zach L

VR junkie
I'd say the konis would probably ride better than the highsports.. I don't remember what shocks are in the highsports (sachs? boge?) but the konis are going to have koni yellow adjustable inserts.

the higher prices fk's do run the same koni shocks, but the bodies are just threaded more. anyways, I like my koni's, they are all the way down in the front and it still rides great for the most part

Thanks for the reply. It seems I can't get exactly what I'm looking for b/c it just doesn't exist, but the Koni's come the closest.

1. Go super low
2. Sport-oriented
3. Comfortable Ride

FK is 1 and 3, KSport is 1 and 2, and Koni is 2 and 3. I guess I have to decide what is most important.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
koni's will already tuck tire, so just get those and call it a day

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Koni's go as low to tuck tire but not make the car undriveable like FK's can.

Koni's can be compared to the Silverline X+ since the silverline's use Koni shocks.
You can't go wrong with either though. I have the Koni's fully slammed as of yesterday and full stiff in the rear and half way stiff in the front and they drive AMAZING. Not too stiff but when you hit the turn it gives you tons of confidence.

I've been through 5 suspensions(the Koni's being my 5th) and the Koni's are hands down my favorite and IMO the best for the majority of the drivers out there.

I will post pics hopefully by Monday

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
What other suspensions you have had?

*Neuspeed Sports on stock struts(Not low enough or sporty enough)
*H&R Super Sports on stock struts(Not low enough or sporty enough)
*Megan Racing coilovers(too stiff for my liking on NY roads...although for auto-x or track they would be sickk)
*Patec Holeshot coilovers(amazing when low and go pretty low but when raised really high like stock height they coil bind like a few other coilovers out there)

bsosa69

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 GTI
*Neuspeed Sports on stock struts(Not low enough or sporty enough)
*H&R Super Sports on stock struts(Not low enough or sporty enough)
*Megan Racing coilovers(too stiff for my liking on NY roads...although for auto-x or track they would be sickk)
*Patec Holeshot coilovers(amazing when low and go pretty low but when raised really high like stock height they coil bind like a few other coilovers out there)

Thanks man :thumbsup:

Patrick Bateman

Murders & Executions

Koni's can be compared to the Silverline X+ since the silverline's use Koni shocks.
You can't go wrong with either though. I have the Koni's fully slammed as of yesterday and full stiff in the rear and half way stiff in the front and they drive AMAZING. Not too stiff but when you hit the turn it gives you tons of confidence.

I've been through 5 suspensions(the Koni's being my 5th) and the Koni's are hands down my favorite and IMO the best for the majority of the drivers out there.

nice to see you ended up getting the Konis :thumbsup:

i ride with mine almost all the way down in the front and dumped in the back with them full set on full stiff all around and i love them! i use to live in NY where the roads are crap but i still loved how they felt and im loving them more now on these butter FL roads :happyanim:

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
plan on putting my front down a bit on my koni's too. my07blkgti did you leave the perches in the rear? i spun them all the way down but left perches in, since its a rabbit ands weighs less it doesnt sit a low as a gti all the way down

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I did leave the perches because right now I have about 300lbs in the car and its already tucking with the perches in. Once I remove shyt from the car I might take them out...depends how it looks.

Just spin yours ALL the way down all around. You should be good with the Karts.

Diabel

2007 GTI, PK 2, DSG, CW

Were you considering FKs? If so, why did you go with Koni? Thanks