GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

problems adjust rear coil

leo delarge

I stay high
not sure how to explain this but, everytime i go to adjust the rear coils ive been having a problem, the whole thing spins around when i try to spin them up to lower it. its happened since theyve been on but ive always stuck something inbetween to keep it from rotating but recently ive grown quiet annoyed with that cause adjusting them should take hrs like it does for me and i cant get it to not spin so the :mad0259: anyone know the problem? hopefully the pic explains it cause i wasnt sure how to write it out

psychoboy

Banned
You don't really need to take the rear coilovers off the car. You just need to release the tray thingamajigee into which the spring is seated. But you should put a jack underneath the tray since the spring is putting a crap load of pressure on it (i.e., don't get smacked in the face).

psychoboy

Banned
once its uninstalled, its very simple to adjust the height

No, this ^^ makes no sense. To me, "uninstalled" means to to completely take out the coilover and springs... unless I'm missing something or unless there's a coilover design made for our cars that operates completely differently from Koni's coilovers, for example.

07Noside

Banned
No, this ^^ makes no sense. To me, "uninstalled" means to to completely take out the coilover and springs... unless I'm missing something or unless there's a coilover design made for our cars that operates completely differently from Koni's coilovers, for example.

theres one bolt thats gotta be dropped on the rear control arm. pull that and the spring should pop out then you can take the collar out to adjust it.

psychoboy

Banned
Ok, thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say... which is that you don't need to take out the entire coilover assembly... just need to release the tension off the control arm.

07Noside

Banned
Ok, thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say... which is that you don't need to take out the entire coilover assembly... just need to release the tension off the control arm.

tension off the spring you need to let the control arm hit the flo :wink:

psychoboy

Banned
btw tray thingamajigee = rear lower control arm your previous post makes a lot more sense once u use the correct terminology

You're right. It's strange how our rear suspension has an inverse set up... it made me to a triple take when I first saw it.

James21

Automotive Enthusiast
Car(s)
71 Nova
My coils are just like that. I just said fawk it and adjusted the coils to the lowest setting put them back in and called it a day. It prob only takes 10 min a side to do it. I think you need two 17 or 18 MM wrenches to take out the one bolt. Be sure to place a jack under the control arm so it doesn't smack the ground when u take out the bolt. I don't even think u can take out the bolt unless u keep pressure with the jack supporting the control arm anyways.