GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Please advise

IrCsabi

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys,

I need your help/advice on what I should do
I have a 2005 Golf Gti, when the engine gets hot it makes some strange steel scratching/clicking noise which I belive is not normal, I can only hear this noise when the engine is idling and it does not do it when it's cold

I have a video uploaded on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYoGugK_AEo&list=UUNkz2mAeL9lQMvNy1FgDPQw&index=1

any advice would be appreciated, I brought the car to a main dealer and they said there's nothing wrong with it...

thanks

Nilok

Ready to race!
I'm thinking something going in the valvetrain. Does the frequency of the clacking increase with engine revs?

I am going to second that. Post a vid up of a slight rev in RPMS to hear if it is consistent with engine noise.

Also, have you checked your oil level? Did it ever run bone dry at any time?

It seriously sounds like your lifters / rocker arms are clicking. But then again it just may be your injectors ticking but THAT loud shoot hard to say.

Nilok

Ready to race!
oh and btw, i think the valvetrain on these vehicles are hydraulic so no "valve adjustmnet" like all other solid spring lifters in japanese and american vehicles.

IrCsabi

Passed Driver's Ed
I am going to second that. Post a vid up of a slight rev in RPMS to hear if it is consistent with engine noise.

Also, have you checked your oil level? Did it ever run bone dry at any time?

It seriously sounds like your lifters / rocker arms are clicking. But then again it just may be your injectors ticking but THAT loud shoot hard to say.

hey

here is a vid with low rpms, first only around 1000 and then twice around 1500,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM0UGai4D6U&feature=youtu.be

oil level is fine, i check oil level regularly, but unfotunatelly I dont know what the previous owner did...

i saw on another thread it could be the flywheel?!?! ( i hope not! )
also could it be dirty valves/intake manifold and i just need to get them cleaned?

thank you for you help

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
So yes, the frequency of the clacking increases with engine revs. Sorry to say, but I'm definitely thinking it's something to do with your valve train. I've never heard injectors that loud on our car, so I can't think what else it would be.

For certain, it's NOT normal, and I'm not sure I'd want a shop that says otherwise working on my car. :frown:

Has the cam follower ever been checked? I've got to wonder if your high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) is beating the crap out of your camshaft.

IrCsabi

Passed Driver's Ed
So yes, the frequency of the clacking increases with engine revs. Sorry to say, but I'm definitely thinking it's something to do with your valve train. I've never heard injectors that loud on our car, so I can't think what else it would be.

For certain, it's NOT normal, and I'm not sure I'd want a shop that says otherwise working on my car. :frown:

Has the cam follower ever been checked? I've got to wonder if your high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) is beating the crap out of your camshaft.

hey

thanks for your reply

cam follower was changed around a year ago, but I'm gonna have a look at it just to double check, and I'm gonna bring the car somewhere else and I'm thinking just to tell them to check the valves!

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm thinking a good shop will hear that racket and just go to work and find the source for you. I hope you find one, and good luck with it all!

rgxtreme

Did you ever sort this issue out? My '06 GTI has the same problem. It's definitely a clacking or clicking coming from the valvetrain somewhere, and is only noticeable at idle. The car runs great at higher speeds and at wide open throttle.

Thanks!
Mark