GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Played with a modded Cobalt SS turbo

rubbaVdub

Beer Enthusiast
Car(s)
GTI MKV TSI DSG
Met a lightly modded Cobalt SS turbo the other night. Not sure what he had done but the car was very low, stiff suspension with nice alloys and sticky looking tires. He had a loud exhaust also, probably catback and DP.

We both nailed it in 2nd gear from around 30 kph going up a small hill. It was under 10 degrees so my tires weren't hooking up too well. Spun a lot at the top of 2nd, but still side-by-side, probably would have got a car-length jump on him if I hooked up. None the less we were evenly matched until I got into the top of 3rd gear. I started pulling on him into 4th and we both shut down with him about 3 cars behind at 160 kph in 5th gear.

Pretty surprising run. I thought he would have pulled on me given the stock power those things put down. I gave the guy a thumbs up and tried to get next to him for a kudos but he sped off into the night.

-SnowMan-

Ready to race!
Nice. I was expecting a different outcome. Don't the Colbolt SS's have k04's stock?

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Nice. I was expecting a different outcome. Don't the Colbolt SS's have k04's stock?

Me, too, and I would have expected a different outcome, as well. Those run about 13.9 at 101 or so. Perhaps those fancy rimz slowed him down, or DSG proved to be a big equalizer yet again.

In any case, good kill, OP.

myfirstturbo

Passed Driver's Ed
DSG is a huge step to overcome when racing. Some of the guys I know are excellent drivers, but often lose to a lower rated car equipped with DSG, at least in the short fight, not higher up

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
DSG is much easier to drive but not hugely better than a properly used manual. The nicest thing is it holds boost, and doesn't screw up your shifts when nervous.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
DSG is much easier to drive but not hugely better than a properly used manual. The nicest thing is it holds boost, and doesn't screw up your shifts when nervous.

And you don't have to replace it when you have more than 250hp lol

rubbaVdub

Beer Enthusiast
Car(s)
GTI MKV TSI DSG

I'm pretty sure DSG has an inverse effect on the manual car you're racing. The other driver gets nervous about how fast you're shifting and screws up his own shifts lol

Its honestly like a video game. Thats the best way I can describe it to friends. If you can launch a car in Grand Turismo you can launch a DSG GTI.

grasman94

Passed Driver's Ed
He most likely had an intake and catback no tune.

A Cobalt SS Turbo has a Twin Scroll KO4, and when tuned it goes full retard.

My buddy has one and I cant keep up for shit, he has full bolt-ons (intake/dp/trifecta tune)

But when he was stock me and that fuckbutt were actually dead even.

The supercharged SS is a different story

Car(s)
Subaru
He most likely had an intake and catback no tune.

A Cobalt SS Turbo has a Twin Scroll KO4, and when tuned it goes full retard.

My buddy has one and I cant keep up for shit, he has full bolt-ons (intake/dp/trifecta tune)

But when he was stock me and that fuckbutt were actually dead even.

The supercharged SS is a different story

what are your mods?

Duster117

Ready to race!
Why couldn't vw put k04s in all mkv gtis.......why:cry:

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Why couldn't vw put k04s in all mkv gtis.......why:cry:
When tuning VAG cars you can max out the turbo before you need internals, but for anything bigger you can't do that. Dunno if it's the same for other manufacturers but that's how it is in our cars and I like it because it keeps you in the safe zone. I wouldn't like having a car that would max out the internals first. So in that logic, if they put K04 they'd also use better internals and the car would be in a different price tag. But if MKV had to cost more, there would be a different price for the higher tier cars in the group, like Golf R, S3 and TTS and then different price for the even higher tier RS3 and TTRS. Every car in the group would have to be uprated and with a higher price. It's all marketing stuff.

they like watching us suffer
That too lol

pancakes

Passed Driver's Ed
odd... I have a coworker w/ a turbo cobalt who says he does 5.5 0-60... as I understand it, the VW is a bit slower.

I'm actually looking for a new DD... cobalt was on my list, but it's just too ugly.