GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Paint Damage

Paul_OH

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT TSI
Hi guys,
Hopefully someone can offer some advice. Washing the car today what I though was bird shit turned out to be this damaged section on the passenger side door. Like I said I though it was bird crap originally, washed the car then noticed this during the drying process. It now looks like some sort of scrape but the panel is dead straight with no sign of a dent.
The complete clear coat and blue paint have gone with the black undercoat showing through.
What do you think, does it appear to be a paint flaw (low adhesion) or some type of mechanical damage? It stands out like dog's nuts so will have to get it repaired, is this likely a whole door respray?
I've got the car booked in for its first service this week so if you think it's a paint flaw now is the time for me to discuss it with VW.

Thanks and any advice much appreciated

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 224

hrb93

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MY08 Gti
I have a Graphite Blue with paint issues as well, i contacted the dealer and VW the day i got the car home. Have booked it in with the service dept at the local dealer who initailly said it looks like bird poo damage (after the dealers own paint expert said it was contamination "iron filings" from pre delivery). Will wait to see the outcome.

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
Looks like a scuff or a bump to me... maybe even someone's shoe???

unkee

munkeespydaa
Car(s)
oooki x)
i found a bit of missing paint the other day too..
on the door protector thing..
i nearly cried and it's a tiny dot..
hate to be in your shoes

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Try it on them and see what they say.
Can't hurt to try.
If it don't work, there's always respray or better still new factory painted door skin (but labour will cost heaps unless you want to DIY)

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
you dont park your car in the western suburbs do you Paul? that looks like trademark X5 markings :mad:

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
i found a bit of missing paint the other day too..
on the door protector thing..
i nearly cried and it's a tiny dot..
hate to be in your shoes

G'day Unkee,

I am presuming you're talking about the colour coded protector strip on the door...if so is it on the edge of the the strip...like the door has been opened onto a cement wall or something?

If so, it can be touched up.

I've done it and you can hardly notice it.

unkee

munkeespydaa
Car(s)
oooki x)
as if i open my door up onto cement.. i love her..

it looks like a rock or something hit it more than anything..
i was all ready with the tar remover and rag and then i realised it wasn't coming off.. i wailed.. fell on the floor.. started crying.. got the shakes..

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
as if i open my door up onto cement.. i love her..

it looks like a rock or something hit it more than anything..
i was all ready with the tar remover and rag and then i realised it wasn't coming off.. i wailed.. fell on the floor.. started crying.. got the shakes..

Yeah..I love Gretel too but one day a strong gust of wind decided to punish me... I cried... A lot.

Hmmm don't think my hand is steady enough to attempt a touch up repair in an obvious spot on some one else's car..

Are you a TR?....if so I have an absolute shirtload of perfectly matched touch up paint.. that I'd go halvies with you if you want.

Next time you're heading down my way PM and I can leave it with the boyz at Pickerings (Matty :wink: ) if you want it.

Paul_OH

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT TSI
Thanks for all the replies, I too originally though someone opened a door against it but the fact that there is no dent makes me wonder....
I commute along a 100km/h truck route so a rock hitting it is certainly plausible but again I'd imagine it would be dented. Very strange......
I always park away from anyone else and can see my car from my office window and only people that know how I am about 'MY' car park next to me. :paddle:

Here is what it normally looks like. I'm fairly devastated as I look after it so well (2 x coats of P21 100% Carnauba last weekend). I love the colour but it's a real pain in the arse to keep it looking good.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_3467 redone.jpg
    IMG_3467 redone.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_3470 redone.jpg
    IMG_3470 redone.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3466 crop.jpg
    IMG_3466 crop.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 196

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
^^

lol
you are awesome :)

No worries.

PM me to let me know a couple of days before you come down, and I'll drop it off at Pickering's for you.

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Paint chip is a possibility.
All those chips on the bonnet don't equal dents.