GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

pads/bolts from VW or cheap place?

raydub

Ready to race!
hey! my dealer says i need rear brake pads and i mentioned that i'd rather spend less at a local shop for less expensive labor. they seemed to understand, but mentioned that the pads i use from a mom/pop shop will squeak.

can ya help me? thnx!

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
buy a set up ECS green stuff. great pads. use anti squeek to prevent squeeks. thats what the dealer does. 3 bucks at autozone.

raydub

Ready to race!
thnx, enigma. i will..

also, thnx for the link, superGTI.

wbean

attention whore
Car(s)
09 CW Gti
i wouldn't say "the antisqueal paste" is the key to non squeaky pads.

make sure the compound of the pads are suitable for a daily driver.

imo best bang for the buck is hawks HPS. bretr32 i think has a couple sets front and rear going for $135 shipped brand new. which is a killer deal.

Worth every penny and won't squeal ever. Whereas if you end up with a more aggressive pad then expect to squeal every single stop regardless of whatever paste you use!

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
Also make sure to seat them well. A few high speed stops help for that

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
Don't buy the EBC pads. They are pure garbage. If you want a pad that is properly made, go with Hawk's. The street pads make low dust, and they have a better initial bite than the stocks. The only time I would ever use EBC pads would be for tire chalks or paper weights.

xola3que

euroturd
yeah, Hawks HPS(+) is by far the best I've seen. Nice grip, long lasting and little dust. Like somebody else mentioned, seat them properly for the first 100 miles but drive carefully and leave plenty of following distance or you will plow into people. You will get barely any braking at all until everything mated up.

On the side note: If your rotors have slotted groves cut into them, it will helps prepare a nice even surface on the pads during seating. New blanched rotor with new pads are usually the best. If you reuse your old rotors, I'd have them cut down ($15/ea at Pepboys) to get a nice smooth surface before mount everything back up.

L

LIVE4SPD

+1 for Hawk HPS. or Hawk Ceramic. I've used Hawk HPS for a number of cars and all were great.

I bought EBC green's for my GTI and they squeel all the time. No amount of anti squeel will fix it.

EBC's where cheap which is why I bought them. Not worth it in the end.

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
he speaks the truth, I will be getting hawks after this.. ;)