GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P3Cars Digital Interface Review

RedBeardBeer

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Nothing
So go easy on me guys this is my first review, I'll try to hit all the major points if I miss anything let me know.

So I'll start by saying that I was really excited about this product and have been waiting for a while to avoid buying a mechanical boost gauge. I wasn't disapointed.

Install:

As you can see the install is a two minute process. Pop the fuse cover off, pop out the stock vent, put the meter in, route the cord, plug in and voila...go play!
(my only issue is the fact that the cord comes out of the plug on the right side requiring it to make a 180º turn to go into the fuse box.)
9.5/10

Functionality:
I was surprised at how responsive the meter was. I'd seen videos demonstrating the lag you can have when dealing with an electronic boost gauge...not here. To prove it the throttle position sensor was trigger accurate. (I will say here that I haven't tested the 0-60MPH timer yet, and have yet to clear a code...it does display codes without a fault).
10/10

Looks:
(crappy iPhone pic, it looks better in person)
The average person would never be able to tell this was an aftermarket part. Being a nit-picky person, I notice two things (very small things). The color and brightness are slightly off from the dash lights and the edges of the meter where they are inset leave a gap to the vent itself (it doesn't seem streamlined).
9.5/10

Cost:
Well folks, you get what you pay for....same thing here. It's right around $400 (so if you factor out the average cost of a boos gauge...~$100 its only $300). I had to think twice about spending this money but now that I have...well worth it. If you're thinking about buying the mechanical boost option......I don't think it's worth it.
8.5/10

All in all, if you have a boost gauge, I would only buy this if you have money lying around and nothing better to spend it on. Otherwise, I would recommend this to ANYONE, super excellent. Call me an official P3Cars fanboi.

Car(s)
Subaru
Good review man, just the few videos of it I've found and with your comments, I'm sold!

i like mine. be sure to get the boost tap with it. they say its pretty close to actual boost, but you shouldnt go by pretty close. its a nice piece though. my only complaint is the 2 small buttons feel cheap cause they feel loose in there.

so outside of cost and those 2 buttons, id give it a 9/10 and worth buying, but because it cost so much and if youre not going to run a boost tap, then why not just get a mfd flash :iono:. it cost less and has about the same amount of functions.

RedBeardBeer

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Nothing
about what, the mfd flash? or how you can get the same functions from it?

I'd like to know both. Also I'm curious, can you disconnect the mechanical boost and still run boost off of the OBD? If so have you attempted to see if there is a difference?

The buttons didn't bother me but I have navy experience with PLC's and that's how the buttons are on most digital controllers and meters.

Car(s)
Subaru
I'd like to know both. Also I'm curious, can you disconnect the mechanical boost and still run boost off of the OBD? If so have you attempted to see if there is a difference?

The buttons didn't bother me but I have navy experience with PLC's and that's how the buttons are on most digital controllers and meters.

yes, you can run it without the boost tap but its off by 1-2psi... for me, 2psi

the mfd flash thing isnt "technically" a flash but i call it that. theres a few options out there but the one coming to mind is the polarfis+. i want to say theres another one out there that starts with a V but idk for sure

RedBeardBeer

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Nothing

the mfd flash thing isnt "technically" a flash but i call it that. theres a few options out there but the one coming to mind is the polarfis+. i want to say theres another one out there that starts with a V but idk for sure

When you say off by 2# is that a +\- swing?

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door

Is that because it shows Requested boost, and not Actual unless you use the boost tap?

Car(s)
Subaru

mkvhaz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Thanks for the review. I saw this the other day on ECS and was intrigued but didn't think I could justify the cost, you may have swayed me slightly.

Doesn't the boost read-out come directly from the MAP sensor? (same as it would if you were doing Vag-com logs...). Red5spade how do you know that the analog boost gauge is more accurate than the OEM one? I could understand if the additional analog sensor had a higher sampling rate than could be read-out over CAN-BUS which may explain higher peak values...

EDIT: FYI, from their website:

"Why is there an optional analog boost sensor on VW/Audi models?

We offer this option for people who are replacing an existing gauge or for some reason prefer analog readings over ECU readings. If you decide to use an analog sensor instead of reading boost via the diag port as by default, you would need to purchase a boost tap for your engine. For the vast majority of our customers the boost/vacuum readings from the diagnostics port are used. You can switch between analog and diagnostics port readings via the config menu."