GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P2SPEC Track Day #1 feat. VMR Wheels | DIESELGEEK | PowerChip Tuning NA

ben@p2spec

Ready to race!
Hello all fellow MK5ers, we'd like to present our write-up and review of our first successful track day (one of many we hope!) as an active tuner shop in the SoCal region.

In the last few days, we've been approached by well-known tuning, motorsport and development companies to become their local testbed for real, live product Q&A and feedback/review - and we have, of course, been frantically looking for an excuse to kill many birds at once...hence the first opportunity at a track event seemed 'perfect'. Thanks to fellow board members PandaGTI and iGTI for the great company and undoubtedly valuable trackside support :).

Our special thanks goes out to:

VMR Wheels (http://www.vmrwheels.com) for the use of Nitto NT-01 R Compound track tires on VMR V701s - Matte Black Finish (18x8.5 all-around).
DIESELGEEK (http://www.dieselgeek.com) for developing such a wonderful piece of machinery in a short shift kit - SIGMA6 (MK6 compatible and more).
PowerChip - Tuning Development, USA (http://www.powerchipgroup.com)for happily accepting our very own "DIRTY CANDY" into their chiptuning development cycle.

Track pictures as follows:

As far as the actual track day experience, I am completely pleased with how well our MK6 GTIs function in a track environment. We've got solid all-around platforms and the three VWs joining up this day represented the VW crowd quite well (yes, we were the only VWs on the track). We were all setup with different configurations to cross compare our mods and both PandaGTI and iGTI can definitely provide commentary on these comparisons between their own vehicles and our own shop MK6.

Remember, at this certain point of time, Dirty Candy is equipped with the following performance altering aftermarket products:

•Handling
B&G S2 Sport Springs coupled w/ Stock Dampers

•Drivetrain
Dieselgeek.com SIGMA6 Short Shift Kit

•Engine
Powerchip "StageX" ECU Tuning (equivalent gains as the APR S1, and am assuming the rest of the "Stage 1" tuning world). Some of you locals have definitely, DEFINITELY had enough behind the wheel time with our shop car to know what this feels like ;), yes, even some of you MK5ers!

•Tires
Nitto NT01 on VMR-V701 Wheels (a sticky square setup, 18x8.5 all around, non-staggered, ideal for track setups)

Otherwise, DC remains completely stock, from intake, exhaust, dampers, sways, etc.

If you're unfamiliar with Buttonwillow, the exact track configuration of the day is outlined here and I will do my best to be very thorough with the driving experience in relation to the modifications configured above.

(Image from buttonwillraceway.com)

VMR Wheels VMRV701 18x8.5 / Nitto NT01 -225/40/18, Squared, Non-staggered setup.
While some people are exhibiting some wheel rubbing issues with ET45 wheels, I had exhibited none during the track event, even at the most torturous turns of the track (i.e. the 2-3 transition, 3 itself, 4, 5, and 6. This may be a combination of correct ride height with the B&G, but I'm more inclined to say that the wheels/tires were setup just right, very specific for this car. NT01s also run very square walled compared to any other kind of tire available.

Aesthetic standpoints? The V701 wheelspoke pattern looks gorgeous on and off the track and the rolling shots display the V701 faces in motion. They perform just fine on the track, especially wrapped on R compounds :). As compared to a non-staggered setup and Bridgestone's... these are definitely a step way up. :). Remember, as compared to the stock Huffs, these wheels were at least 5-6lbs lighter for our DC all around. For an overall oustanding look, value, and weight loss from stock, it'll be pretty hard to rival a VMR V701 wheelset! Another plus to these wheels is that they accomodate for the use of OE lugnuts (a savings of nearly $4 per lug if your local dealership is friendly enough to you). Please remember to TRIPLE-CHECK your bolts by using a torque wrench, especially in a high-speed motorsport environment!

VMR V701s are available from P2SPEC by clicking -> HERE <- for more info.

More soon after mental-recovery of the experience :)

Last edited:

akaprince

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI BMP 2DR DSG
DC is coming along nicely, looking forward to the process.
also, is that 2 tow hooks?

ben@p2spec

Ready to race!
DC is coming along nicely, looking forward to the process.
also, is that 2 tow hooks?

Nope, just one in the front, the red square is the lap transponder :)

:thumbsup: I want to track my car.

I think everyone should do it a least once! Well, before all the dumping/slamming/moar low/hella-flush kicks into gear ;)

This. Who was the event with? If you go again, you should post up here. I would have come with some more MKV support fopr sure!

Speedventures and for sure we will make an announcement for next time. Would love some mkv's trackside!

ben@p2spec

Ready to race!
Would love to see where Powerchip stage 1 stands against APR or Revo stage 1.

Well in the one picture above the equivalent APR car w/ Carbonio intake (PandaGTi) is following me :). On an open straightaway at WOT, neither of us gained an inch on each other. We experienced similar results off of the track as well :).

ObeyMyFast!

^Who I am...What I say->
From the powerchips website:

In standard form, the GTI 2.0T produces 359 hp and 108 lb.-ft.

Powerchip has a range of chips to suit your car, which can increase it's power to between 448 hp and 466 hp, and it's torque to between 151 lb.-ft and 158 lb.-ft.

Wat.