GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P2015 Engine Code

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
The SeaFoam treatment doesn't work well enough to do anything.

The only way to truly clean it out is to pull the intake and clean by hand. That sounds pretty cheap for a manual cleaning from VW. I'll bet they are still using some sort of chemical even at $400.

IMO your best bet is to find a local place that has experience with this, VW's and Audi's both require the carbon clean. If you have a local VW club ask around and see who can do that work.

There is a local place in here STL that pulls the intake and actually scraps the carbon off the intake and the valves. It's the best $300 I've spend on the car.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
You guys are making me regret not doing it for $400... I saw a bunch of people using the sea foam spray on mkvs for a total of $30! Dammit, I wish that worked haha. I'll look more into it at 45-50k miles. Thanks everyone.

We're usually pretty good with decarbs,with a manifold well do it for an extra 1.5hrs and if I diagnose it to be carbon then it's 4.5hrs. Warranty for a manifold is 3-3.3 depending on vehicle. We've done so many most techs get em done in a half hour.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
We're usually pretty good with decarbs,with a manifold well do it for an extra 1.5hrs and if I diagnose it to be carbon then it's 4.5hrs. Warranty for a manifold is 3-3.3 depending on vehicle. We've done so many most techs get em done in a half hour.

How much would the carbon cleaning from intake be from your shop?

Nitrorea

Ready to race!

I'm assuming you are a VW tech? When you guys do the carbon clean do you scrape off the carbon or put a very potent chemical in?

You guys are making me regret not doing it for $400... I saw a bunch of people using the sea foam spray on mkvs for a total of $30! Dammit, I wish that worked haha. I'll look more into it at 45-50k miles.

As a general rule of thumb something that is a $30 alternative to a $400 job won't work.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm assuming you are a VW tech? When you guys do the carbon clean do you scrape off the carbon or put a very potent chemical in?

He is. I am not, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I followed the DIY on here (http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140523) and it requires both chemicals and manual scraping. Some shops I've talked to have also had luck with sandblasting using walnut shells.

How much would the carbon cleaning from intake be from your shop?

Wed probably be close to 500ish...I can it less at my buddies garage for less if u want pm we can work something out.
I've done it a bunch of ways, media blasting with crushed walnuts works the best, u still need to scrape the seat and the guide with picks. It's a bitch and hurts.

We used to let it soak with some bg stuff but it didn't do a whole lot.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Wed probably be close to 500ish...I can it less at my buddies garage for less if u want pm we can work something out.

I've done it a bunch of ways, media blasting with crushed walnuts works the best, u still need to scrape the seat and the guide with picks. It's a bitch and hurts.

We used to let it soak with some bg stuff but it didn't do a whole lot.

I'm from central NJ. I will keep you in mind for the cleaning when I feel it's necessary. Thanks man

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
It's been about 3 weeks now. I'm starting to notice when I get on it my exhaust back fires more than ever after I got the new intake manifold installed.

Is that normal?

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Do you feel it more than you hear it? Or the other way around man?

Honestly, I feel and hear it just as much as the other. It's pretty rough but I enjoy the sound of a good backfire but I've never felt it like I do now.

R1600Turbo

Ready to race!
Question for anyone that can answer. So I had to drive from Phoenix AZ to western Colorado last Friday. When I stopped in Moab to top off the tank, shortly after the CEL came on. I thought it was the gas cap because mine is in need of replacing and it will throw a CEL if I don't flick it 5-6 times. Stopped the car, shut it off, tightened the cap a couple more clicks, and the light was still on.

Then I started to think I got a tank of bad gas because the idle was a little weird, and then on the way back after I stopped to top off again in another town, when I fired up the car the idle was hunting up and down. I revved it a little and it went away. Got back home and had the code read, P2015 came up. Car has 75k miles, the intake manifold was already replaced at 35k. Am I looking at another replacement?

Going along with the bad gas estimate, when I got back to phoenix I put ~9 gallons of 91 in it and then ~2 gallons of 100 to try and flush out anything that may have been left in there. Car seems to drive fine, but low speed / low RPM driving feels weird.

Any insight would be helpful. :)

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
It should be covered by an extended warranty, just ask your dealer. It's about a $200 part.

R1600Turbo

Ready to race!
It should be covered by an extended warranty, just ask your dealer. It's about a $200 part.

We cleared the CEL yesterday and it came back on almost immediately. Called this morning and scheduled an appointment for Monday morning. I tell you what, if there has been a common problem with these cars, I have hit almost every one of them. Thermostat x2, intake mani x2, clock spring, coil packs, etc. :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed the timing chain tensioner doesn't decide to give up before I get rid of this thing at the end of the year.