GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0011 and Repair Cost

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
So, background on my car; 06 GLI (obviously FSI), 6spd, mods in sig. Currently 102,700 miles. Car has been running pretty flawlessly, no CELs since 92k mile and no major repairs. Oil changes every 5k miles at the dealer.

So I'm getting off the highway and come to a stop and immediately notice idle is rough around 650-750rpm, surging, and engine vac is real low. I have to feather the gas to keep it from stalling. I contuine to drive the remaning 5 miles home and the CEL finally comes on.

Pull the code, P0011 Camshaft A over advanced. I immediately know this is probably bad. Researching online provides lots of info, mostly pointing to the N205 valve is bad is poor oil pressure/low oil. Oil level is fine. No oil pressure light on the dash.

I decide this is something I'd rather not tackle myself with limited cam timing experience (if it's that bad) so I take it to my local dealer. Now, I would say I have a pretty good relationship with my dealer. Bought it from them CPO, bought my wife's TDI there, taken both in for normal services in the past and they do good work and ignore my mods. I realize this isn't the normal experience most get with the VW dealer.

Anyways, dealer calls this morning and says the cam side timing chain has jumped timing and has excessive slack. They quote replacing the chain, tensioner, N205 valve, valve cover gasket, misc other gaskets for $1716 out the door including labor.

Questions; from my research it's unlikely timing jumps and becomes over advanced, correct? It's usually retarded. Also the car drove fine past 1500rpm and if it was indeed out of timing that doesn't sound like it would be possible, right?

I asked the dealer multiple times if there was piston to valve contact and damage as a result of the timing jump and they said no. I guess I feel a little skeptical that all of these parts need to be replaced or if it did indeed jump timing. Has anyone else experienced this? And is the $1716 quote good or should I start calling some indy shops? Side note- I live in a smallish town but close driving distance to Denver, as a result there aren't many reputable indy shops in my area and I'd be looking to have the car towed 50-60 miles to a good Denver based indy shop.

If you're still reading, wow, thanks.

Dave

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
Well, I'll update this for anyone searching for a similar issue, but after calling some indy shops the repair quotes were pretty similar but they couldn't say for sure without having the physical car to diagnose.

Since I have a big commute and other transport isn't easy, I decided to green light the dealer and go ahead with the work. They found the tensioner was cracked/broken in half but still in place and allowed slack to develop in the chain. All in all I'd guess I'm pretty lucky the chain didn't break and cause piston-to-valve contact requiring an entire valvetrain rebuild.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
What is a more reasonable quote? Other shops I called had a similar quote if they were to diagnose as the same issue, including parts and labor.

How many hours of labor should the job be? Replacing timing chain, tensioner, N205, valve cover gasket, reset timing, etc.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
2 hours? That seems real quick to replace the tensioner, chain, n205, set timing, valve cover gasket, etc. I've found a DIY on just the tensioner and I think it would be more than 2 hours. This is FSI not TSI (I have no idea how long chain tensioner replace on a TSI is tho just pointing out the difference)

I'm stopping by the dealer tomorrow to see how many hours they are quoting me, tho.

alfmoonspace

Ready to race!
Yeah not a six hour job lol. Seriously, I wouldn't think replacing tensioner and belt would be more than 3-3 1/2 hours. Did they already start working on it?

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
Dealer is quoting 4 hrs. I know I'm paying more for parts and if I had another car I'd probably do it myself but at this point it will get done and warrantied and I'll be using my wife's TDI Goodwill package $1k so I'll only be paying $700 out of pocket.

2 hours? That seems real quick to replace the tensioner, chain, n205, set timing, valve cover gasket, etc. I've found a DIY on just the tensioner and I think it would be more than 2 hours. This is FSI not TSI (I have no idea how long chain tensioner replace on a TSI is tho just pointing out the difference)

I'm stopping by the dealer tomorrow to see how many hours they are quoting me, tho.

Its NOT a hard job by any means. Also im a tech at a dealer.

TSI chain tensioner just remove and replace is 4.3 hrs. People at home have no idea how fast these things can be done when you do them ALL the time. (which is why labor times suck)

Yours is a simple job,t he n205 is 2 small bolts that with the housing of takes seconds, set timing is literally cake which is all of minutes. I can bang out a new cam that had a follower eat through in an hour and a half. That pays 6.3 under warranty.

4 hrs isnt terrible considering the diag.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
Well I wish you were closer to me do it haha, or at least I had another car to drive and I'd do it myself. I do think I'm getting ripped off on parts. I'm going to see if they will price match at least close to online prices.

There's alot of dealers that sell at inflated list....most online pricing from like ciocca vw or 1stvwparts they give like 20-25% off..

Don't fool yourself, there's most likely multiple techs that can handle that job easily and fast, remember this engines been out for 10 years now.

I'm still confused at the 1800 with 4 hrs labor. Even a quick add up in my head and over inflated pricing, I get like 1200 and that's stupid high.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
So I picked up the car and it's running good. The reason the quote was higher than I could figure out was they also replaced the exhaust side cam adjuster. It's upsetting because I specifically asked over the phone if this was in the quote and being replaced or not and they said no. It's only the most expensive part on the quote...

I also had requested they replace the n75 wastegate valve as I was having some boost issuesand this was the last piece to check. I figured might as well have them do it and they were only going to charge me a half hour of labor to put it in. Well, I get in the car and there's a small parts box on the passenger seat and what's in it? My RevD diverter valve with GFB+ in the box! They replaced the freaking diverter valve, removing my GFB+ in the process. I gave them the n75 part number, said the words "wastegate frequency control valve" multiple times. This just proves no one at this dealership has any clue what they're doing whatsoever.

The only saving grace is they did give me a $250 discount after much complaining, and they are letting me put my wife's TDI Goodwill $1000 credit towards the repair so I'm only out $500 bucks. But looks like tomorrow afternoon I'll have to get under the car and replace the new pointless DV they put in and put mine with the GFB+ back in.

Time for me to find any indy shop from here on out, or pick up a beater so I can have time to wrench on it myself.