GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OT: What should my GF do?

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus
She currently owns a 03 build RAV4 5 Dr Crusier spec w the 2.4L and 38000km on the odometer... insurance is up for renewal @ a pricey $1600 despite her being over 25... rear tyres are also due for replacement. Car's in an ok condition but lately i've noticed a bit of vibration when the car's stationary.

she is now contemplating whether to replace her car. We love it coz of its versatility... we can fit everything in there incl. our BBQ stove and it's more than capable for long distance trips and visits to IKEA ... it does prefectly what the GTI can't

however considering it's nearing 4 yrs old w second hand prices now @ around $29-30K ... she can replace it with a smaller, more economical and cheaper to insure ride like the new Honda Civic Sport... this way she can have a brand new car without having to fork out another lump of $ ($2K at max i would think)

so fellow Golfers... what would you recommend?

rennenhaus.com.au

that guy with the VW.....
Car(s)
mk5 r32
In defence of the mighty Golf,

about three months ago, quite easily had the bbq in the back of the R (which is smaller then the GTI), and brought it down to canberra for a Dyno day. It did look a little funny, but worked none the less! There may even be a few people lurking in the forum who remember seeing it...

and i recall in my MK4 Golf, the misses and I brought home a new dishwasher, and clothes dryer, in their boxes, back seats down ofcourse, but they both fit non the less..... just fit... but they fit!

I think you'll find quite a few cars in that price range, it's just a matter of preference! i could be mistakan, but i believe that there is more interior room in the Golf than there is in a Honda Civic. In saying that, the last Honda I drove was a '04 integra type R...

good luck finding a replacement vehicle! :thumbsup:

mikinoz

From a planet far away!
Car(s)
Sunbeam Imp Sport
I don't think that I would ever have 2 golf in the house, but 2 different VW, like a passat and a golf I think would be suitable.

Yandi

Ready to race!
And guess what I was thinking of????
Good luck getting THAT much for an old RAV4. They are like little Touaregs... not sure exactly what they are supposed to do and without the good visibility. They are the real girl's 4wd, I reckon. Maybe you should hang on to it, it seems to complement the GTI, we have to be practical sometimes.

dodgey

Not a VW owner
I came from a '98 5door RAV4 and I have to say I have not missed the reduction of space but have appreciated the performance of the GTI

Jetta Compact Wagon? Perhaps in TDI?

I have no idea when it comes out or the cost though....

In reality, it probably is an expensive choice...

jb747

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm surprised at the cost of the insurance. I guess there's no 'no claim'.

Firstly the 2.4 lt engine was introduced in 2004, so if your GF's car is 2003, then it will have the unloved 2 ltr engine. And even though the 2003 body shape is the same, they're worth considerably less than cars with the bigger engine.

I sold a mint 2005 RAV4 Sport (22,000 kms) for just over $22k a couple of weeks ago. I also have a 2005 Cruiser, and I'd be very surprised if the real (as opposed to asking) price (for my much later car) was really over $27k.

I'm sorry, but the amount you're going to have to 'fork over' will be appreciably larger than you've estimated.

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
In defence of the mighty Golf,

about three months ago, quite easily had the bbq in the back of the R (which is smaller then the GTI), and brought it down to canberra for a Dyno day. It did look a little funny, but worked none the less! There may even be a few people lurking in the forum who remember seeing it...

and i recall in my MK4 Golf, the misses and I brought home a new dishwasher, and clothes dryer, in their boxes, back seats down ofcourse, but they both fit non the less..... just fit... but they fit!

I would agree.

Had the old model Holden Astra (which does have a little more boot volume than the GTI) which was basically one big shopping trolley.
With seats down, could easily take a bike (didn't have one with removable front wheel!!) and our 2.3m tall cupboards from IKEA (with room to spare!). Our golf isn't much different although the floor is marginally flatter. I know the interior is definitely wider, but not sure about boot opening size (to physically fit things). But if its good enough for a BBQ...

Of course I would suggest a rug for all those with leather.... especially with all that sausage grease :biggrin:

Thought the R was the same size as the GTI Ian?

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
Go get one of these babies :thumbup: !

http://www.skoda.com.au/showroom-roomster.asp

Cheers

moomoonel

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
no way you can get $29-30K
23k the most for your case

so keep it

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus
I'm surprised at the cost of the insurance. I guess there's no 'no claim'.

Firstly the 2.4 lt engine was introduced in 2004, so if your GF's car is 2003, then it will have the unloved 2 ltr engine. And even though the 2003 body shape is the same, they're worth considerably less than cars with the bigger engine.

I sold a mint 2005 RAV4 Sport (22,000 kms) for just over $22k a couple of weeks ago. I also have a 2005 Cruiser, and I'd be very surprised if the real (as opposed to asking) price (for my much later car) was really over $27k.

I'm sorry, but the amount you're going to have to 'fork over' will be appreciably larger than you've estimated.

she has 65% no claim, multi policy discount of 5% and loyalty discount of 10%... i guess it has got to do with our place of residence (south eastern suburbs) because by substituting it with my parent's place (outer north west) the quote reduced by $500!!

the RAV4 is the facelifted version with the 2.4L and round floglights ... i recall 2003 was the yr when they introduced the facelifted version. also the price of $29K is what most of the equivalent RAV4 owners are askin for on carsales.com.au...

but anyway thanks for your input ... i will keep that in mind.

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
Skoda!