GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OS Lion anyone?

VolksBro

Played with it for a week, but I think it's over-hyped; just another way for Apple to milk its customers for every penny they have.

Just like how they come out with a new version of the iPod or iPad every week and the sheep run to the store because they must have the gimmicky extra feature or two.

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Yep...iPad and iPad 2, weeks apart.

lol, indeed...

I still haven't upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard. Like Stock, just been lazy about it. :laugh: We have it at the Blue Box on our Demos and its pretty nice to play around with. A little quicker than Snow Leopard, but I like some of the features like the mission control center.

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Crazy the amount of GTI owners that are also Mac users :D

On topic, i haven't downloaded it yet, planning to buy the physical thing though.

Unfortunately, Lion is only offered as a download via the App Store. There have been ways to actually get the .dmg file to a DVD in order to use it as a bootable drive disc, but from Apple, only as a download.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
Played with it for a week, but I think it's over-hyped; just another way for Apple to milk its customers for every penny they have.

Just like how they come out with a new version of the iPod or iPad every week and the sheep run to the store because they must have the gimmicky extra feature or two.

I disagree. Snow leopard was out for just over two years before lion came out. how much longer should they wait to upgrade? plus $30 is change for an operating system. I believe windows 7 is like $120.

and as far as updating iPods and iPads every week, apple usually updates every year or so which is about 52 weeks. the iPod classic hasn't been updated in 699 days. not sure how you get a week out of that. seems like someone always has something to say about a successful company that owns more money than our own government.

check out this article: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I disagree. Snow leopard was out for just over two years before lion came out. how much longer should they wait to upgrade? plus $30 is change for an operating system. I believe windows 7 is like $120.

and as far as updating iPods and iPads every week, apple usually updates every year or so which is about 52 weeks. the iPod classic hasn't been updated in 699 days. not sure how you get a week out of that. seems like someone always has something to say about a successful company that owns more money than our own government.

check out this article: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Exactly...and the fact that they offered a pretty significant overhaul for such a cheap price does not spell ripoff to me. If they put out Lion and asked for 100 dollars or more like MS does, I'd say it was bogus.

DreamingTwig

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all...
Mac-Head here on a MacBook Pro (only a few months old). I downloaded the thing, then found the hack to burn it to a bootable disk...

--Download Mac OS X Lion from the Mac App Store ($29.99)

--From the Mac OS X Finder, locate the Mac OS X Installation file that was downloaded, right-click, and “Show Package Contents”

--Find and open the “SharedSupport” folder and locate a disc image file called “InstallESD.dmg”

--Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to your Mac OS X Desktop, this is the Lion disk image and what you’re going to create the bootable DVD from

--Now launch Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/), pop in a blank DVD, select the “InstallESD.DMG” file, and click on “Burn”

Then I made sure the thing was backed-up via timemachine to an external drive (then unplugged it)... and went and let Lion install.
A week of playing with it, I discovered that the Airport/network connection kept dropping after sleep. It wasn't keeping the name/password and asked for the authentication thing when trying to re-connect. Sometimes working... sometimes not. I didn't realize how often I close the lid and sleep the thing until I started having trouble. I thought I could deal with it then slowly went nuts over the week.
The problems not just me... found it in a bunch of forums.
Restored the old system to save my network sanity. Booted off the new Lion DVD I made and did the timemachine restore. I'm going to hold off until they post an update or two.

cleanmk5

Go Kart Champion
I just got it on my new macbook air. I like it but my macbook air keyboard is broken so I guess ill be going to the mac store next week.

VWTN

Ready to race!
Really disappointed so far. Safari has a gargantuan memory leak. Apps not working due to short developer peak. Apple thinks they gave them time but with all the updates leading up to release, it's hard for developers to hit a moving target.

I'm sure apple will fix this, they always do.. However, this was disappointing to say the least.

Late 2010 27" iMac amongst others.

AdamC

Ready to race!
Installed it on my 13'' mbp on release day. It's alright, I actually like the productivity/os improvements but seems to be less polished than normal apple releases.

As noted above there is a memory leak in Safari. Fine, I never use safari anyways! At least until Lion, where it works well it fullscreen, and chrome/fox don't seem to be as compatible yet with it. So I live with safari, and ads, and the memory leaks, for now.

Has anyone else switched from never using safari to now being the standard browser?