GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Original Fuel Filter

SPD BGGY

"Vroom-a-zoom-zoom!
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
I bought my 2008.5 GTI about a month ago. I have been changing things out a little bit at a time. Today I tackled the fuel filter and the dogbone mount. The mount only took a few minutes to install. The fuel filter as well only took a few minutes. The fuel filter to my surprise was the original filter, manufactured 12-25-2007. Once these new parts were installed, I went for a little cruise and holy crap, my car felt totally different. The shifting felt tighter and smoother and the added power and acceleration was amazing. I am gonna have to cut that fuel filter open to see how bad it was. It must have been pretty bad for me to notice such a difference. My local dealership told me that changing the fuel filter was a good idea every 40,000 but that they don't recommend it to customers. I was thinking that that original filter has now had almost 4800 gallons of gas go through it. If your car has got 40,000 miles or more on it and you haven't changed your fuel filter yet, take my advice and change it. You might be surprised with the difference in the performance you get.:thumbsup:

Zach L

VR junkie
It's amazing the difference mounts make.

Don't expect to see anything abnormal in your fuel filter. It's probably a combination of the mount and your head. I'm sure most people are probably running the original on their car. Plus, the fuel pump on our cars is after the filter... if there was some type of issue, it would be an issue causing the engine to run rough and/or misfire at varying engine speeds; it wouldn't be an issue of power. Like your engine would be bucking or randomly bogging down.

SPD BGGY

"Vroom-a-zoom-zoom!
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
I appreciate the comment but I have to disagree. I read up on several forums about clogged filters and with the jerking and sluggishness I had before I thought it was a boost leak. Once it was changed, I thought my car had the force... The acceleration is much stronger and you can really hear the exhaust now. The car does feel tighter and smoother while shifting. I believe that is the mount for sure but that filter had to be restricting gas flow. Maybe not to the point of a CEL or stalling but very sluggish. Now the car is very peppy, snappy, quicker, smoother at low rpm and has much more exhaust roar when accelerating. I have a hard time believing that is all from one rubber motor mount.

Zach L

VR junkie
My roommate has the original fuel filter on his 1992 Corrado... 220,000 miles and not a single issue.

That said, this past weekend I put on my 3rd fuel filter @ 120,000 miles. They're cheap so why not. Our injectors are fragile.

bryanviper

My roommate has the original fuel filter on his 1992 Corrado... 220,000 miles and not a single issue.

That said, this past weekend I put on my 3rd fuel filter @ 120,000 miles. They're cheap so why not. Our injectors are fragile.

I don't even think the manual tells us to change the fuel filter. When I bought my GTI used from the dealer with 53,000KM (32,932 Miles) I changed it regardless its good preventative maintenance.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
4,800 gallons? How many miles are on your car? 120k?

I changed mine twice--once for maintenance at about 60k and then again at 90k because I changed the in-tank pump. Neither time made a difference in power, but I'm quite happy to have the peace of mind.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
4,800 gallons? How many miles are on your car? 120k?

I changed mine twice--once for maintenance at about 60k and then again at 90k because I changed the in-tank pump. Neither time made a difference in power, but I'm quite happy to have the peace of mind.

I only average 20 MPG, so it would be about 96,000 miles for me.

Zach L

VR junkie
Check your caliper pin... JetTurbo was having about the same mileage as you. Replaced the caliper pins with some new TyrolSport brass units and his gas mileage went back up... one of the front brakes had been applying some unnoticeable pressure.

I get about 26 combined, up to 31 on the highway... that's with 120k miles so not bad.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Check your caliper pin... JetTurbo was having about the same mileage as you. Replaced the caliper pins with some new TyrolSport brass units and his gas mileage went back up... one of the front brakes had been applying some unnoticeable pressure.

I get about 26 combined, up to 31 on the highway... that's with 120k miles so not bad.

Quick test for a dragging brake is put the car in neutral on a flat surface and push it.
Mechanic who discovered mine knew something was wrong when he pushed mine on his rack for an alignment.
He tracked it down, removed - reconditioned the pins and that cleared it up.
For a while.
I have now replaced one front caliper (its piston was sticking).
Getting ready to have him replace the other the week of the 11th while I am in Vegas working,
as mine has stopped rolling in neutral on mild slopes at stoplights where it used to roll,
and the gas mileage has dropped again.

I typically see a tank return 26 combined when things are right,
drops to 22-24 when the brakes drag.

Then again, I am not complaining,
180,000 miles out of the original calipers is reasonable.

Zach L

VR junkie
Touche Jim. 180,000 is pretty good. Since we use the same calipers as every other VW they should be easily attainable for a fair price.

Thanks for the heads up. I've yet to have a problem, but now I keep an eye out just in case.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Good idea. I'm going to have the pads checked at the next oil change, and I'll have my guy check see if it's hard to push onto the lift.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
That filter is pretty big, and there is no scheduled service interval for it, but I agree it's a good idea to change every 40-50k. I changed mine at the same time (60k) I changed the thrust sensor (detects the low pressure side of our system at the pump). If the filter gets bad enough you will find fuel codes when checked with an OBD reader.

nbn

morning
That filter is pretty big, and there is no scheduled service interval for it, but I agree it's a good idea to change every 40-50k. I changed mine at the same time (60k) I changed the thrust sensor (detects the low pressure side of our system at the pump). If the filter gets bad enough you will find fuel codes when checked with an OBD reader.

I had a thrust sensor go bad once (changed under warranty by the dealer). Can you tell me where it is in the engine bay? Just in case i have to do it again in the future?

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
I had a thrust sensor go bad once (changed under warranty by the dealer). Can you tell me where it is in the engine bay? Just in case i have to do it again in the future?

There is a free factory replacement that I think is good until 120k miles, but it is the brass fitting on the left side of the HPPF. Just disconnect electrical connector and unscrew to replace. :thumbsup:

Last edited: