GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Opinion on if my car is totalled?

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
DBP 4 door GTI
When I went into a ditch it took about 6 weeks to get my car back but my uncle owns the body shop so he was pretty speedy. The insurance check got sent straight to the bank when it was totaled.

Since your car is an 09 with 42k kbb says private party value is 16.5k so about 80% of that is the value that the damage needs to exceed for it to be totaled. Its close in my opinion. Depends how nice the adjuster wants to be haha. I begged the adjuster not to total my car but it was too far gone.

its going to my fathers friend's body shop so im hoping that instead of him totaling it im gonna ask him to do anything he can to keep it on the street, i would rather wait longer an get this car back.

i never got to name her ='(

DUBLAX

huh?
Car(s)
08 GTI
Be careful what you wish for. If you're willing to wait a good bit of time let insurance cut you a check and find one that's not crashed. The repercussions of owning a car that has been crashed is not worth it. Resale value is killed, it's sometimes just gonna be a little off after it's fixed and it's just often times a headache especially in cars like these.

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
Be careful what you wish for. If you're willing to wait a good bit of time let insurance cut you a check and find one that's not crashed. The repercussions of owning a car that has been crashed is not worth it. Resale value is killed, it's sometimes just gonna be a little off after it's fixed and it's just often times a headache especially in cars like these.

I had a 04 jetta that I begged to keep on the road. I got my wish. Less then a year later the tranny failed. I could try and explain the circumstances, but in short it was directly related to the accident. I wish I would have just let the car go to the junk yard and just taken a check and gone out shopping for a new one. Just let it go man. I speak from experience.

It's why you made this post and it's what a lot of people are saying. I'm 32 and have had over 15 VWs since I was 16. Some went quick others lasted. IMHO this car is in the history books and you should move on.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
If they repair the car id be surprised. I did a/b appraisals for 5 years and most cars that jump a curb are totaled.
There isnt much body work, but once thats up on a lift that est will get big. The bags being out is going to be $$$.
Likely a ton of suspension work. If I looked at your car Id push total loss so I dont have to go back to see it 3/4 times for supplements and rework. Sus work sucks.
In CT appraisers need to replace the whole SRS system with the airbag deployment. Im guessing NJ is the same.,

If they do repair. Look at the estimate total hours on the last page. Divid that number by 4 and that will be the approx number of days a shop should take.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
GL-- upload a bunch of pics and I could give you add info if needed. I can look at your estimate too if you want.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
DBP 4 door GTI
just an update since this has gotten a few responses since my last update
it was infact totalled =( she died without a name, RIP

now on to my next bad boy, im getting 20k from insurance, and i already found my new car, 2 door UG GTI, another 6 speed manual

not letting anything in my way of my dream of a stage 2 gti <3

if you guys want ill post pictures of my new car once i get it and wash/wax her

dubbin everyday

Lives At The Track
so sad to hear about your car :( good thing is that your safe and you get a new baby :thumbsup::biggrin:

philwest21

Banned
just an update since this has gotten a few responses since my last update
it was infact totalled =( she died without a name, RIP

now on to my next bad boy, im getting 20k from insurance, and i already found my new car, 2 door UG GTI, another 6 speed manual

not letting anything in my way of my dream of a stage 2 gti <3

if you guys want ill post pictures of my new car once i get it and wash/wax her

If I got 20k from insurance, no way in hell you'd see me in another gti. JMO.

wannabpsycho

Passed Driver's Ed
yea, if you want to have something that has potential get an EVO. don't be stupid like me. Don't get me wrong I love my GTI but if you want to go fast and like 4 doors, for the money,

EVO! nuff said.

Vdub333

Honda Kick-ER
Cheer up, mine was not a total
she came through!
15.JPG
and im soo glad she did

easyman

Ready to race!
I would want the car totaled. After a crash like that things are never quite the same. Bring it to an expensive shop, that way the estimate get written high and you can cross the threshold for a total

edit:: just read it was totaled. gluck with the new car!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Doesn't matter where you take it. Insurance only pays so much per hour for labor. The difference is an expensive might cut more corners to make more money. But than again so will a cheaper shop. Parts prices are also controlled - insurance companies know exactly what the parts cost. Don't think for a moment you will get over on an insurance company. They've seen it all before. They have former body shop owners on their staff.

Ratchet

Go Kart Champion
Yeah if you need a new DSG they will be totaling it I would imagine. I got mine fixed under warranty for a cool 6500 I think. Plus that takes SO long to get in. They're hand-built in Japan or China if I recall correctly. Then shipped to Germany and then sent here as they are needed. Very rarely does the U.S. have a stock of DSG's

someone bullshitted you on that. they arent kept at dealers, but the housing places have them. almost all non manual vw's have the dsg now...

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
DBP 4 door GTI
yea, if you want to have something that has potential get an EVO. don't be stupid like me. Don't get me wrong I love my GTI but if you want to go fast and like 4 doors, for the money,

EVO! nuff said.

hmm.. what other cars do you suggest? ive always been so into vw/honda that i dont really know any other scenes that are out there... and i sure dont wanna be driving an N/A