GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ok first AutoX event, what to expect on A/S stock tires?

TZSGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Ok i about read the whole autox sticky on top. I have been doing some searching and i see that the gti is pretty good when it comes to Autox. Now i am on stock A/S Contis with stock suspension. What should i expect as far as tire wear is concern. Are my tires going to be rubbed out on the edges after the event? Is it stupid to go autox on the all seasons. Hey its my first time and just going to have fun and get the feeling of it. My next big event would be June 1 at poccono race way. I am going to do this as an prep event.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
One auto-x won't be too bad. It will only be 8 or so minutes of hard driving. I would not recommend repeatedly autocrossing on all seasons, but then again it wouldn't be a smart idea to go out and buy track rubber without ever having done an event.

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
I think you can expect a lot of wheelspin, a lot of noise, and a lot more fun than both of those combined :D

If it is one event, the tyres will be a bit furry when you're done, but (as Meat said) nothing too bad.

Minimaul

Chronic Masturbator
Car(s)
e36 m3/4/5
For your first event don't worry about mods, or what could be the best tires, or suspension, or chip, or anything like that. Just drive, and have fun. Everything will be new to you and flying by at an amazing pace called of awesomeness. You'll have some wear on the tires but one event won't kill them (unless they are already in horrible shape). by a cheap air pressure gauge and put in some extra air. I added about 8-10 psi per tire. that will help with the tires rolling over. but like i said, just drive and have fun. try to learn as much as you can about braking, turning, proper hand technique, throttle modulation, hitting the apex, getting close to the cones and fun. It'll be a blast dude. these cars are pretty tossable and do a good job, being quick cause they are nice and torque-y.

If you're going to do other events then once you start getting better you'll realize that your tires are holding you back. And they should be the first thing you upgrade if you're serious about it. I autocrossed half a season on All-seasons in my MKIV, and in my MKV I went all last year on the stock summer tires - they got worn out pretty band and I won't be using them this year.

TZSGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Thanks all. I already got my H&R RSB but never had a chance to put it on and i am not sure i will have chance before the event. As far as summer tires i am planning on changing over before i do my first road racing event to the sticky Kumho MX tires which looks like the best tire for someone who is on a budget.

chadman

Old Guy with Young Car
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
Try not to get too aggressive and "push" too much, it'll be easier on the tires. Otherwise you'll wear down the sides like i do :)

xyouthx

slow ass car
I did 3 events on my stocks before I got good rubber. You wont really do any bad wear other than some feathering in the outter corners. I wouldn't really worry about the Rear Sway Bar either, because you'll be understeering so much that the RSB won't help much. I didn't even notice mine until I changed the tires, then it felt like a whole new car.

TZSGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Honda Civic Type R
I did 3 events on my stocks before I got good rubber. You wont really do any bad wear other than some feathering in the outter corners. I wouldn't really worry about the Rear Sway Bar either, because you'll be understeering so much that the RSB won't help much. I didn't even notice mine until I changed the tires, then it felt like a whole new car.

Strange, i thought the RSB would make the car understeer less :iono: ?

tasteofink8733

IlluminatiBilderbergNWO
I guess you guys werent driving your hardest when you went on A/S because after my first event my tires just went down hill. It looked like my edges were ready to crumble. I am still on these said tires but I have not done an autox event since because my first time happened to be the last event of the season.

TZSGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Even if you are not pushing it its still worth it. I guess i will just practice on making a good line.

xyouthx

slow ass car
Strange, i thought the RSB would make the car understeer less :iono: ?

that's the idea of the RSB but when you have all seasons, it doesn't matter you're still pushing through the turns. But when you have sticky tires that will help your car react the way you want it to, then boom it rules.

tasteofink8733

IlluminatiBilderbergNWO
if you drive it right, it should
add a couple psi to the tires

btw, where are you going to be racing?

Truth. Also if you can get a hold of some chalk, rub it on your side walls and on the edge of the tread. This way you can see how much your tires are rolling over and if you need to add some air.

chadman

Old Guy with Young Car
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
Truth. Also if you can get a hold of some chalk, rub it on your side walls and on the edge of the tread. This way you can see how much your tires are rolling over and if you need to add some air.
Does that technique really work on our cars? Keep in mind I'm still completely stock, but it seems like no matter how much air I've put in my 050's (as much as 50psi!) I'm still rolling over the sides (on the fronts, this does work for the back tires). Part of it I'm sure is driving too aggressively, but I have a feeling the shoe polish won't tell the truth until I get some neg camber into this thing...(sorry to threadjack!) :yikes: