GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

oil buying question

chonface

does not have pink eye
ive been lookin for a good place (online or other) to get mobil 1 0w 40 euro spec or similar oil for a good price (less than $7.00/quart)

any suggestions for a poor brotha

chonface

does not have pink eye
rpm auto parts

i called and they said $6 bucks a quart

no i havent been there yet

Last edited:

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
highly recommend Pentosin euro spec. I change every 3k, and have 34k miles on the car, with the original cam follower, and very very little wear, to the point where the mechanic put the original cam follower back in even tho i had a replacement...i've heard a rumor, and really I don't know if there's any fact to it, but i head that mobil 1 has changed their formula since it originally came out and was a top oil. Higher costs had led them to change their formula....could be wrong, but that's what i heard;...

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
Just go buy Shell Rotella T6 5w40 diesel truck oil.. you can get it for $19.50 a gallon at walmart

its a very heavy duty oil since its made for diesel trucks.. that means its got a really good additive package, and will hold up better than most other oils

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
shit half the time auto parts stores dont have it let alone walmart, more than once ive had to hunt for a quart cuz my hungry GTI decided its time to burn it up

hmmmm.... 3 of the walmarts around here keep 0w-40, but they run out quickly sometimes...

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
highly recommend Pentosin euro spec. I change every 3k, and have 34k miles on the car, with the original cam follower, and very very little wear, to the point where the mechanic put the original cam follower back in even tho i had a replacement...i've heard a rumor, and really I don't know if there's any fact to it, but i head that mobil 1 has changed their formula since it originally came out and was a top oil. Higher costs had led them to change their formula....could be wrong, but that's what i heard;...

to a certain degree. However, 0w-40 is their major league oil... it is a group 4 base stock synthetic, not a mineral-sourced group 3 like their 5w-30 oils....

I use ow-40 and suits my motor fine....

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
Just go buy Shell Rotella T6 5w40 diesel truck oil.. you can get it for $19.50 a gallon at walmart

its a very heavy duty oil since its made for diesel trucks.. that means its got a really good additive package, and will hold up better than most other oils

ya... just make sure your dealer doesn't find out. 5w-40 TDT is not on VW's 502 approved list.... but some folk do use it (clandestinely- prior to warranty expiration)and have no probs ....

GTIWV

WV VW
I use M1 0w40 now, i used to use castrol syntec 5w40.

I would recommend advance auto or autozone when they have the sales. I got 5 quarts of M1 0w40 and a M1 oil filter for my parents car for 27.99 plus tax.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
ya... just make sure your dealer doesn't find out. 5w-40 TDT is not on VW's 502 approved list.... but some folk do use it (clandestinely- prior to warranty expiration)and have no probs ....

its not on their list, but it passes other specifications that are more stringent than 502. As far as the dealer, the monkeys there are never going to know what oil is in it.. they crack it open, and it comes out oil. They don't have any way to determine who made the oil, or what it is.. so as long as you don't tell them, they will have no idea