GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM TPMS battery replacement

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
Yea - would have been interested to see the pics, too.

Replaced sensors in my 2009 GTI about 6 months ago - so guess they have about a 6 year battery life.

Two things: 1) I'd sure wear safety glasses when soldering to a lithium coin cell battery - they are certainly NOT designed for that! 2) When looking for replacement sensors, I found many for sale that were several years old. No idea what standby power consumption is when sitting on the shelf, but decided to pay up for new date code units. Probably dumb since I can install them myself - but who needs the hassle?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
Very interesting - had not seen this size cell before. Thanks for sharing pics.

For those in need of some useless trivia. These are size 2450 cells - meaning they are 24 mm diameter by 5 mm thick. You commonly see 2032, 2024, 2016 cells - which are 20 mm diameter by 3.2 / 2.4 / 1.6 mm thick, respectively. Same applies to rechargeable lithium cells as used in flashlights - an 18650 cell is 18 mm dia x 65 mm long.

Of course this has nothing to do with TPMS sensors, but is just the kind of valuable obscure knowledge that might win you a free beer sometime - well, probably not.