GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Strut Removal, Install Coilovers

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
Hello all,

Thanks up front for putting up with another question on this but I'd like some input if possible.

I'd like to install coil overs on my MKV however I have standard hand tools and will be doing this in my driveway. With that said I'm not too keen on removing the axel bolt for fear of either not getting it off or not being able to torque it back down.

So what are the thoughts on removing the inner axel bolts to loosen the axel from the transmission? Is that possible to allow the control arm down enough to remove the OEM Strut without compression the springs?

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
I've always done it in my garage/driveway, and there's no need to remove the axle bolts or the inner axle bolts....see here:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67825

So the LCA was able to drop enough with the sway bar and ball joint separated WIHTOUT having to compress the stock OEM Springs???

What keeps the LCA from dropping to the ground and damaging the rotor with the sway bar and LCA removed from ball joint?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
So the LCA was able to drop enough with the sway bar and ball joint separated WIHTOUT having to compress the stock OEM Springs???

What keeps the LCA from dropping to the ground and damaging the rotor with the sway bar and LCA removed from ball joint?

Re-read that DIY, please

You don't remove the ball joint or swaybar
You just unhook the swaybar endlink, remove the strut bolt/nut, open up the spindle with a strut spreader bit, and remove the 3 nuts under the LCA & push it down/out of the way. Knock the strut from the spindle & remove the 3 bolts at the top and the strut will come out.

The bushings are very stiff and don't allow the LCA to drop

You'll compress the springs when the strut is out/off the car