GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New wheels, want to keep it light, go with 17"?

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
I have been goiing around in circles trying to figure out what rolling stock to put on my Tornado Red GTI. I really want to keep wheel weight down to 20 pounds each or less. I really like the classic look of BBS CH's in silver on the GTI, but they are too heavy. The BBS CO does make the cut, right at 20 pounds but only in 17" diameter. All the pictures I see are of 18 and 19" CH, Ck, CO and I like the look a lot.

Would 17" Silver CO's look goofy small on a slightly dropped GTI? I hate to spend $1000 and the trouble to remount my tires only to not be satisfied.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
I have the Ultras. they are nice wheels and hold up well. Worth the $

utekineir

Banned
the tr motorsports or whatever they're called wheels on tirerack that meat and a few others have look nice if you like grey, they're light and on the cheaper side kinda.

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
I have looked at:

The OZ Alleggerita HLT, dreamy light 15.1 pounds, $1240 for a set in 8 x 17. At this price it is in the Anthricite color, a dark gray/charcoal color that I'd like to see in person. Also available in several bright colors but oddly not available in silver.

The BBS CO is $1000 for the set in 7.5 x 17 and weigh 19.5 pounds each, just making my weight goal and have that classy BBS CH look (and both lighter and less expensive than the CH in same size). Still wondering how these would look on my car.

Enkei RPF1, a great lightweight at 15.2 pounds and a stunning value at $932 for the set in 7.5 x 17. In Bright silver I like the color, but the twin six-spoke design is standard issue on thousands of Japanese cars and I can already hear nimrods asking me if they came off a Celica or some such BS..

Enkei GTC01, a nice looking 12 spoke wheel in hyper-black, 18.5 lbs in 8 x 17". I like it a lot, and at $876 for the set it is a top candidate.

If I go to 18" wheels NONE of the BBS wheels meet my weight goal or 20 lbs or less, so forget about it. OZ has a three wheels I am looking at;

The OZ Allegeritta HLT, at 17.4 pounds in 8 x 18 it is a dream, $1500 for a set, but the same restricted colors as the 17" version mentioned above.

The OZ Ultraleggera, a 12 spoke design in hyper silver seem like a good choice, $1392 for the set.

The OZ Crono HT, is a simple 5 spoke design in bright silver, $1156 for the set.

Team Dynamics Wheels, the Pro Race 1.2 look to be a good buy too, with the advantage of being available in several colors. The 17" wheel is about 18 lbs , but the 18" version is about 21 pounds, nixing it from my list.

And not to be forgotton is the Raderwerks LW-10. Available in black and bronze, but 7.5" not 8" width.

Plus a few more costly wheels in 18" diameter.

Last edited:

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
if i had the cash for oz's, i would buy them this instant

OZ wheels FTW. Mine are 18x8 and only weigh 19lbs. I have also slammed these things on soo many potholes its not even funny; not one dent to date. My dream would be 17x8 Alleggerita HLT's. 16lbs each :drool:

alvinaudi

Is this OK??

Johnny

I'm Here for the Gangbang
for the money, I think the Raderweks LW series is very nice. 17x7.5 weighs 18lbs and the 18x7.5 weight about 19lb so both are under 20 lb. Don't look bad either in bronze or black.