GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New or Used GTI?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Sounds like you got a really good deal on a brand new one. That's $3k less than the price my local dealer gave me on Sunday of $26K.. what do they pay for them and how much room do they have? Also, my dealer didn't have white but said he could get one from another dealer.. does that then limit how much they can come down on the price?

Also, my understanding is that the MKVII won't be out till early or mid 2014?

Thanks,

^ its important to know what options and trim levels he got at that price....

Bender1

Banned
Sounds like you got a really good deal on a brand new one. That's $3k less than the price my local dealer gave me on Sunday of $26K.. what do they pay for them and how much room do they have? Also, my dealer didn't have white but said he could get one from another dealer.. does that then limit how much they can come down on the price?

Also, my understanding is that the MKVII won't be out till early or mid 2014?

Thanks,

you are correct on the MKVII.

Invoice on them is all dependent on options. Edmunds invoice calculator is pretty decent. They should have 4% below invoice to work with (holdback). I tend to think that 2-3% below invoice makes everyone happy. Work with the internet sales staff rather than lot staff, they work on volume rather than straight commission.

bmc333

Ready to race!
I bought my 2012 Certified Pre-Owned for $21.5k. Only had 15k miles on it. The used car deals are out there!

This^
I got my 4 door, DSG 2012 CPO with only 8700 miles on it for $22k - it was a loaner car for the dealership and all service/care is well documented. The thing is basically brand new since it only sat on their lot for about a month and then was a loaner for 4 months. I'm VERY happy I got the 2012 and the much lower price tag since I didn't have the budget for a brand new car but HAD to have a newish GTI...
Edit: forgot to mention I got the moonroof, RCD510 (convenience?) package.

formul8

My GLI farts
I bought my 2010 new after 2011's were in stock. It's a low option car, price was $500 under invoice and VW offered 0% for 60mos. It would be roughly the same cost overall as buying a CPO car, so buying new was a no brainer.

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
A low mileage used car can often offer excellent value. (I bought mine used.) But to get that deal you may have to be patient. Not all used cars are great values. You must find a dealer that is willing to accept minimal profit on the car.

You didn’t mention this, but will you need a loan? That may change your strategy. Interest rates on used cars are significantly higher than on new cars. And if the dealer will only offer a four-year loan on a used car compared to a five-year loan on new car, the payments on a less expensive used car can be higher than on the more expensive new car.

One other thought. You implied you will sell your current car privately. How will you time this? Will you wait to first sell the car and then hope to find a used GTI quickly? It might take many months to sell your car privately for your price. It might also take you weeks or months to find a used one that is a great value. That could become frustrating. Remember, trading in a car will save you on sales tax.

Several things must fall into place correctly for a used car to be the best value. If the used car isn’t a great value, I’d suggest getting a new one (at dealer cost.) I will argue the warranty is an issue. The powertrain stuff rarely fails on a GTI. It’s generally the smaller things that are not covered by the powertrain warranty. Once the 3/36 B2B coverage expires, you really have a lot of exposure. Getting a new car gives you a full three years or 36,000 miles of full coverage.

New and used cars have their advantages. The hard question to answer is at what price does a used car become that great value. If the car was traded-in early in its life, why? Is it one of those rare lemons? Food for thought.

doane2u

Thanks everyone... I think I am going to concentrate on finding a lightly used MK6 with about 40k miles or less. It's going to be hard as I really want a white one, but will see. I guess I will sell my car PP first as that's another $1-2k loss if I use it as a trade in.

Mike A. said, "the DSG has a 40k mile service (fluid and filter change) that is $400-$500"
..that's another good bargaining tool if it's close to 40k miles or hasn't had that service done and is over 40k, thanks.

Thanks everyone,

rokketman

Ready to race!
Thanks everyone... I think I am going to concentrate on finding a lightly used MK6 with about 40k miles or less. It's going to be hard as I really want a white one, but will see. I guess I will sell my car PP first as that's another $1-2k loss if I use it as a trade in.

Mike A. said, "the DSG has a 40k mile service (fluid and filter change) that is $400-$500"
..that's another good bargaining tool if it's close to 40k miles or hasn't had that service done and is over 40k, thanks.

Thanks everyone,

you are probably looking at $3k+ loss if you trade in. What is your trade?

doane2u

I have my wife's '09 Honda Fit to drive after I sell my car, so I'm in good shape that way. Good advice about the loan, I probably will pay cash after selling my car as I'm pretty sure I can get about $19k for it PP and my target price for a used GTI would be about $19-22k with tax.

Anyone else in the car business know?.. when a dealer doesn't offer a used car "certified" does that likely mean there may be big problems with it, or is that usually not offered only on cars with high miles and they don't want to risk having repair costs?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I have my wife's '09 Honda Fit to drive after I sell my car, so I'm in good shape that way. Good advice about the loan, I probably will pay cash after selling my car as I'm pretty sure I can get about $19k for it PP and my target price for a used GTI would be about $19-22k with tax.

Anyone else in the car business know?.. when a dealer doesn't offer a used car "certified" does that likely mean there may be big problems with it, or is that usually not offered only on cars with high miles and they don't want to risk having repair costs?

I think it could be either of those two scenarios. A third scenario is that they don't want to pay to have it CPO'd. That is an additional cost to the dealer to certify it.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

check out my signature link - I can help you remotely through the whole process if you'd like.

If a same brand dealer (VW selling used VW) doesn't offer the car as a certified and it is new enough to qualify, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad car, but it does mean one of two things - either it didn't pass their inspection for being CPO'd OR they didn't want to spend the time/money for the inspection and process of making it a CPO.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
disregard KBB.. use www.nadaguides.com

KBB is high on sale values, which is why the dealers use them. It is also normally slightly lower on trade-in values.. which is why the dealers use them. See a trend? ;)

doane2u

OK everyone, just wanted to thank you all for the good advice and information. Will keep you all posted, wish me luck!

PS: I was talking to my brother the other day. We both agree that skid pad figures can be so miss leading.. real world driving on rough roads is where the handling really shows up. When I drove that 2013 GTI last Sunday we took it out on some rough paved farm area twisties and the car was phenomenal.. only words I could come up with in every driving situation was that it felt "planted" ...just amazing... gotta have one! :happyanim: