GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New or Used GTI?

doane2u

Hello everyone, new here. Last time I had a VW box was back in '79, a green Rabbit. Before that I owned 4 or five bugs over the years and a '66 split window Camp-moble with a mahogany interior was my last VW venture. I got discouraged with all the problems/reliability in the 70's - 90's and sort of gave up on VW.

This has probably been discussed somewhere, but I couldn't find it, exactly.
I'm in the market for a 2-dr, DSG automatic; GTI. I drove my brothers. sons, 2012 TDI and then a 2013 GTI this weekend and was totally blown away. My current auto I plan to sell is worth about $19k private party.

Anyway, the new GTI price sort of blew me away too... about $26k (29k with California sales tax)

I've found some dealer listings on line. Some 2010's with about 30-35k miles for about $19k That's $9k less (with tax)! What would I be missing with a 2010 as opposed to a 2013? How many problems might I have that $9k wouldn't cover, not to mention the cheaper collision coverage? The 5 year/60K drive train warranty would still be in place too, right? I drive low miles per year, less than 10k.

If I wanted to save more I could go back to the earlier model and there are some like a 2007 with 67k miles for $15k, or a 2009 with 46k miles for $17k, etc. Is that really getting too risky? And when you get back to pre 2010, are there big differences in the engineering, mileage, power, etc. ?

Any comments most thankful for.

bigdudeindenim

Ready to race!
I bought my 2012 Certified Pre-Owned for $21.5k. Only had 15k miles on it. The used car deals are out there!

Clymb

I got mine brand new a year ago for right under 23k. Definitely look around at some prices and don't forget the MKVII is going to be coming out so a new 2013 MKVI could have significant discounts toward the end of the year. Also buying a used GTI is not something I would want to do. You never know what sort of idiot could have had it before you and how they drove it. To me its worth the extra money for the new, and you also get the 3 year warranty with it, which is not too bad. Not to mention its a clean slate for mods that you want to do, not what the previous owner wanted.

Vroomer

Banned
Always used if it doesn't bother you, it's a much better financial decision if you plan on owning your car, especially if you go for a 2012, easy to tell how the car was driven and taken care of, avoid the 2010 though as you don't want to be out of warranty for dsg right away.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
If you want a lot of options, definitely used. Options depreciate quick so it's the best way to get an autobahn.

If you just want a base model I'd work a deal on a new one.

Mike A.

Ready to race!
If I wanted to save more I could go back to the earlier model and there are some like a 2007 with 67k miles for $15k, or a 2009 with 46k miles for $17k, etc. Is that really getting too risky? And when you get back to pre 2010, are there big differences in the engineering, mileage, power, etc. ?

I've had a mkV (2007 GLI) and now a mkVI (2010 GTI). Personally I think the mkVI is a big improvement in the overall exterior looks and the interior finish. I'm a big fan of lightly used cars. I just recently picked up my 2010 4dr, dsg, sunroof, dynaudio car with 28k miles. It was CPO so it has a 2yr 24k mile VW warranty. I also still have time left on the 5yr 60k mile powertrain. I paid $19.6k for the car and it might as well be brand new. It's in great shape. If you don't mind lightly used you can save a lot of money.

One thing to keep in mind, the DSG has a 40k mile service (fluid and filter change) that is $400-$500. Just something to remember if you buy a car that is getting close to 40k miles.

MKV

mmmm MKVI

As far as mileage goes the best I could get in my GLI was 34mpg if I was really keeping a light foot on the throttle. I snapped this pic after my 18 mile commute to work this morning!

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I also got a great deal on a used 2011 with 10k miles & mods... I would go used personally. However, some folks like having a new car. If that's for you, I think you would get a great deal given they stopped producing the MK6 GTI's (to start production on the MK7).

I think the sweet spot is to get a low mileage vehicle that is CPO'd.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I bought new, if doing it over again I would have probably gone for a used one.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
I planned on purchasing my GTI Brand New, But as luck would have it my Dealership had a used (repo) 2011 GTI with ever option I wanted (Candy White 2d DSG Sunroof Nav Xenons) with just over 7k miles. It was built in July 2011 and it was Nov 2011. I was also lucky because the car had been sitting on the lot for 40 days and was scheduled to go back to auction.

Needless to say, the dealership was ready to deal. They had the GTi listed for $26,500. I checked on line and there was only one other GTI which was a basic Candy White 4d DSG. No options in my area. This vehicle was listed for $23,000.

After test driving the GTI, I immediately fell in love! It was so much nicer then my current Mini Cooper S manual. After the test drive I threw out a low ball offer of 21,000. They countered with 25,000. This was on a Friday evening around 6pm. I told them I like their GTI And would think about it. I then left the dealership.

As soon as I got home I texted the salesman with a counter offer of $22,000. They imediately countered with 24,500 and advised Me that's the lowest they can go without losing money (Yeah Right). I texted the salesman I was going to check out the other GTI in the morning and will call him if I didn't like it. The salesman reminded me about all the options their vehicle had. I told him price was important and even though the options were nice, i didnt need them. We said good evening and that was the end of our conversation.

At 9am Saturday morning I get a text from the salesman. Lol, He wanted to catch me before I went and looked at the other car. I told him I went over my finances and the most I can afford is 23,000 out the door with everything. He told me he will run my offer over with the sales manager and get back with me. About 20 minutes later they countered with $24,000. I stuck to my $23,000. They countered with 23,300 and that would be their absolute final lowest price. I told them I am sorry, I know what I can afford and I have to stick with $23,000. The salesman replied you don't want to loose this car for $300. I countered with you don't want to loose this sale for $300. He advised me again, let me check with the sales manager and I will get back to you. At 10am I get call instead of a text from the salesman. He said come on down, the car is yours. They are sending your car over to be detailed. I told him thank you very much :D.

Finally one car deal that went in my favor. When I got there at 12pm not only was my car detailed, they also tinted the windows for me for free. :happyanim:. The sales manager came over to me and shook my hand and said if I ever wanted to sell cars come see him. I got my GTI for $23,000 out the door and a free tint job. I was very happy. The stars were aligned just right!

Moral of the story is I personally would look for a clean low mileage used GTI. I saved almost $5,000.00 :23:. A new GTI with my exact options would have cost me about $30,000 out the door!

It has been a little over 1.5 years of ownership. I have just under 28,000 miles and I totally love my GTI. I have about $5,000 in mods on her, so I am very happy :thumbsup: and still feel I am ahead of the game. :D

Last edited:

rokketman

Ready to race!
I can say that new was nice about 7 months ago...because you could get $2k+ off MSRP. If you plan to keep the car, then you will probably want a new one.

Used is great if you find a low miles (under 10k) for $7-8k off MSRP. Check the service history, compare it with the common issues of the MK6 GTI..find out if you will be footing a bill for very likely issues that have not been resolved, but nonetheless, must resolve post warranty expiration.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
go on www.autotrader.com and look up gti's between 2011-2013 with max price set at 22k

last night i saw:

dsg cw 2011 11,000 miles $18,995
dsg csg 2011 7,000 $21,995

the csg was from vw van nuys and the white one was from a used car dealer.
deals are out there, be patient. Good things come to those who wait!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
2011-2012 CPO.. save thousands, get the options you want, have full warranty. win win win...

doane2u

I got mine brand new a year ago for right under 23k. Definitely look around at some prices and don't forget the MKVII is going to be coming out so a new 2013 MKVI could have significant discounts toward the end of the year. Also buying a used GTI is not something I would want to do. You never know what sort of idiot could have had it before you and how they drove it. To me its worth the extra money for the new, and you also get the 3 year warranty with it, which is not too bad. Not to mention its a clean slate for mods that you want to do, not what the previous owner wanted.

Sounds like you got a really good deal on a brand new one. That's $3k less than the price my local dealer gave me on Sunday of $26K.. what do they pay for them and how much room do they have? Also, my dealer didn't have white but said he could get one from another dealer.. does that then limit how much they can come down on the price?

Also, my understanding is that the MKVII won't be out till early or mid 2014?

Thanks,

bluescreenofwin

Ready to race!
I bought a 2012 CPO w/ convenience and moon roof for 23k (10k on the clock). I researched a lot and found that this was the better option to go.. In my opinion. Who doesn't love an extended warranty and a nice chunk of change off the top?