GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My CW GTI Daily - Now with K04! - OEM++

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Big update! My OEM IHI turbo had the classic loose Wastegate failure, causing it to make a racket of a rattle, and not make the boost it used to. So... Took the opportunity to upgrade, to a KO4!!

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the install, as I paid my local dealer to do this one.
I have some friends who work there, and they are great with the aftermarket stuff, most dealerships wouldn't touch a job like this, but our local dealer is a gem.
Install had a few major snags, biggest of which was the the inlet of the turbo was hitting on the block, the turbo ended up needing to be re-clocked.
We tried to contact CTS but their customer support is trash and they never responded, Stratified was great and offered us some advice, and the tech working on the car really knew his stuff luckily!

The very first impression, before I even had the new tune flashed on, was this Turbo sounds insane, the spool noises and flutter are just a perfect balance between subtle and my inner ricer. It's to die for.
Got the car back to my place, it was already running better than it has in months. Swapped the OEM MAP sensor for a 4 Bar unit, and flashed on the very first baseline map from Stratified. Then, went out for a drive... The initial push of torque is wild, falls off a bit after 4,000 but pulls waaaay higher into RPMs than OEM turbo did. The response is so much better than my dying IHI was too, that waste-gate was making the car a laggy pig, now it feels so strong. It's honestly scary powerful to me, I am going to have to get used to it, and keep myself out of trouble. It's FAST.

I will continue to log back and forth with Stratified until we are happy, I have noticed a bit of knock they may need to look at. I will keep the threat updated on anything that goes on through that process, and once completely done, I hope to get it on a dyno and get some at the wheel numbers!

butthead123

Ready to race!
In retrospect would you go with the cts k04 turbo kit again or would it be worth spending a little more and go with a borg warner version? Thanks in advance.

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
In retrospect would you go with the CTS k04 turbo kit again or would it be worth spending a little more and go with a BorgWarner version? Thanks in advance.

In retrospect, maybe worth it to go with one of the Borg Warner options. But the performance of this is killer. Install was apparently a PITA and cost me double what quoted...
Overall happy, but I do wonder if the Borg Warner option(s) would have fit up more effortlessly, maybe better QC, as I have heard most CTS K04's are fine out of the box, but mine was clocked in a way it wouldn't quite bolt up on this car. We will see for longevity, I hope for a good life out of this setup, this car has cost me a ton in the last while and it would be nice to get a break!! 😂Seriously though I can't get over this turbo, its awesome. To the people who say you should go bigger and K04 isn't enough, you are insane, I won't want this car to be any faster any time soon!!

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
In retrospect, maybe worth it to go with one of the Borg Warner options. But the performance of this is killer. Install was apparently a PITA and cost me double what quoted...
Overall happy, but I do wonder if the Borg Warner option(s) would have fit up more effortlessly, maybe better QC, as I have heard most CTS K04's are find out of the box, but mine was clocked in a way it wouldn't quite bolt up on this car. We will see for longevity, I hope for a good life out of this setup, this car has cost me a ton in the last while and it would be nice to get a break!! 😂Seriously though I can't get over this turbo, its awesome. To the people who say you should go bigger and K04 isn't enough, you are insane, I won't want this car to be any faster any time soon!!
I've seen this issue at least 5 times this year between here and reddit. So it isn't a super rare issue with the CTS kit.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Guess these a worthy of a small mention as well, since I want to document each and every part on the car no matter how small.
These where a bit of a risk, but I really liked the look of them on Mk7's from the factory. Wish OEM made them for the Mk6, but glad the aftermarket has picked up and made it happen!
It works, I like them, they where cheap on eBay, some Chinese company I am sure, but it works! Subtle little look, just sticks on with 3m tape, we will so how they wear with age, but for now, I'm happy!

I have had a set of these from ECS sitting in my WishList on their site for months. LOL Just never pulled the trigger, concentrating on function items right now.

They do look pretty good, are you considering painting them to match or do you like the contrast?

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
I have had a set of these from ECS sitting in my WishList on their site for months. LOL Just never pulled the trigger, concentrating on function items right now.

They do look pretty good, are you considering painting them to match or do you like the contrast?

I'll be keeping them the gloss black, I don't know how they would look body coloured. They are gloss black on Mk7's from factory as well. I'll be doing a gloss black roof wrap at some point, and some other accents, so they will match the look I am going for as is!

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Tuning has been going well, car is getting more and more responsive and smooth as we go. On just the 3rd map so far, sent my logs in today! It's pulling HARD. Has me really wanting an LSD... But first, it's made me realize I need to prioritize some brakes! Ill probably just do a good set of pads and rotors for OEM brakes, as the car needs them ASAP with this power! But I might try keep my eye out for Golf R conversion or BBK options. Scored a good deal today on a used Whiteline 24mm rear sway bar! Hopefully that will be delivered in the next few weeks, as the car has badly needed a rear bar ever since the Coilover install!

Other than that I have really been enjoying driving the car again, it's very very fast to me, and I have only floored it on a handful of occasions so far, I will not be getting bored of this for a LONG time!

Lastly, I have been working on freshening up the looks of the car a bit further. I really like the OEM+ Subtle look. But want something that looks just a bit special.

The plan is as follows.

- Fog light covers, kinda looks like Mk7. Have these in my office, just need to paint them gloss black and will probably do it when I get other parts painted.
- Front bumper respray for light damage, and match the centre of the bumper Candy white. (maybe shave sidemarkers?)
- Golf R sideskirts.
- Gloss black roof wrap (already booked, local guy has a long waitlist!)
- Paint OE rear diffuser gloss black
- Further de-badge (remove front GTI badge OR swap to a Golf Highline grille?)

Did a quick photoshop of the look, and I think its exactly what I am going for. Let me know what you think!!

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
That’s pretty much how I’d like my front end to look. But what are the fog light covers you’re speaking of?

Its a slightly revised surround for the foglights, covers them a little bit kinda like Mk7 GTI.
There is an ebay seller who makes them from time to time, but in very small batches, took me a few years to get my hands on a pair!

Attachments

• IMG_20201024_074730.jpg
    IMG_20201024_074730.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 113

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Guess these a worthy of a small mention as well, since I want to document each and every part on the car no matter how small.
These where a bit of a risk, but I really liked the look of them on Mk7's from the factory. Wish OEM made them for the Mk6, but glad the aftermarket has picked up and made it happen!
It works, I like them, they where cheap on eBay, some Chinese company I am sure, but it works! Subtle little look, just sticks on with 3m tape, we will so how they wear with age, but for now, I'm happy!

They look awesome! Mind sharing the eBay link?