GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MotorTrend CLA First Drive: GTI owners will graduate into CLA

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
dammit Troy... if I see you at a track day this summer... I WILL sack punch you.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
It might be awhile, looks like I'll be moving in June. We'll see what the time and money situation looks like after that but I'd like to at least make 1 event out here and 1 event in Great Lakes region in the 2nd half of the year.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
true

my dad's '98 SL500 is still solid as shit. feels new when you drive it.

That's because its based on the w124 which was back when MB properly engineered their cars for longevity and quality. Bang for buck its hard to beat the R129 right now.

Back on topic, the CLA is hideous and overpriced IMO.

Hooklyn

Banned
I really like everything about the c250 coupe except for the performance. I was impressed when sitting in one.

I agree. The C250 performs poorly for that segment, and for most segments for that matter. Hopefully this new 2.0T from the CLA will replace the 1.8T unit in the C-Class.

Merc 1.8T - 201hp/229lb-ft
Merc 2.0T - 208hp/258lb-ft

And the CLA45 AMG uses the same 2.0T making 360hp too...

I have heard rumors that they could be dropping the base-level C250 when the CLA comes to have the CLA250 on the low end and then just offer the C300 and C350 for the C-Class.

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
There are few good photos out there yet but I'd take mine just like so: Red with sports package and a few other goodies.

McQueen77

Banned
Only people I see driving C class in Seattle are seniors. While I'm turning 40 this year, I'm not ready to be lumped into that bunch. I was looking at the GLK but so much demand here, used prices are high.

In the l.a. area, if in a c-class, you are most likely a middle aged asian or possibly an aremenian housewife. Ive only driven an e350 so i dont know about c-class performance but most people dont buy them for that alone. They are totally comfortable and built like bank vaults. Plush ride. A coworker did recently buy one for his wife, a 2013 c250. I sat in it and the interior was really nice. Those doors are solid as hell, felt like a tomb inside. Exterior styling is nice.. Just dont know if id ever own one. Kind of soul-less at the end of the day. Theres a shit ton of c class round here. A ton.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
In the l.a. area, if in a c-class, you are most likely a middle aged asian or possibly an aremenian housewife. Ive only driven an e350 so i dont know about c-class performance but most people dont buy them for that alone. They are totally comfortable and built like bank vaults. Plush ride. A coworker did recently buy one for his wife, a 2013 c250. I sat in it and the interior was really nice. Those doors are solid as hell, felt like a tomb inside. Exterior styling is nice.. Just dont know if id ever own one. Kind of soul-less at the end of the day. Theres a shit ton of c class round here. A ton.

If every C-Class and IS250 on the roads of Southern California were vaporized, our freeways would be as empty as North Dakota.

Hooklyn

Banned
Has anyone seen this car in person?

I have a feeling that based on the dimensions and overall shape of the car, it could have very awkward proportions. Its quite small and could look a bit stumpy.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I have a feeling that based on the dimensions and overall shape of the car, it could have very awkward proportions. Its quite small and could look a bit stumpy.

sedan coupe... yes.

AZN_C300

Ready to race!
MB doesn't do MT's here... for like.. ever. if you're lucky, paddle shifters.

And yes, a bigger emblem is needed.. maybe on on the roof, so its visible from space....

Actually, the C class and SLK have MT option.

And you guys haven't seen the new front emblem being rolled out that's illuminated. Lots of hate discussion about it on MBWorld from the MB guys..

Younger folk stick the BMW and Audi (out here)

Plenty of young folks drive MBs out here in cali. Might vary by region, but all you have to do is walk through the USC campus student lot and you'll see a ton of them.

That said, I'm not feeling the CLA. For the price, I'd rather just pony up a bit more for a C.

McQueen77

Banned
If every C-Class and IS250 on the roads of Southern California were vaporized, our freeways would be as empty as North Dakota.

dont forget the 328i and the Prius. in our old neighborhood i would literally see a train of Prius going down the street to the light. so many of those godawful things