GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More Cam Follower Data

GT0neX

NooB-Still Sucklin' Teat
For info:

Inspected Cam follower after about 10k miles (put it in at 17k and car now has 27k) and compared it to the new one I had bought to replace it (the new one is the one on the left, sitting on top of the cap):

since it looked so good I put it back in and i'll check it again in about 5k miles.

For more info, this is the original follower (from 0-17k miles) only the DLC had been worn. Nothing could be felt on the surface:

On both inspections the cam has been clean and smooth.

1. Car is an 06 FSI and has ~27k miles. I have no idea what rev. cam I have (doesn't really matter since both cams are susceptible to failure)
2. I went apr stage 1 somewhere around 10k miles and went stage 2 somewhere around 20k miles.
3. Oil has been changed every 5k miles or 3-4mos, whichever comes first. I've used Mobil 1 Synthetic 0-40W (VW 502.00 approved) since my first oil change at 5k miles.
4. Upon the installation of the follower no Moly Lube has been used, only lightly coated the follower with motor oil.
5. My car is daily driven to get to work and back (about a 10mile round trip through surface streets). I don't race people or drive like an @ss hat, but do occasionally have fun here and there on an empty stretch, on ramp, etc.

Again, just providing more data, keep an eye on these things folks, don't wait until it's too late :yikes:

geboost07

X20A Strike Freedom
Car(s)
golf gti
sweet

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Again, just providing more data, keep an eye on these things folks, don't wait until it's too late :yikes:[/QUOTE]

this.....

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
haha ive got an 06 with 22k, athank you carmax & military guy. But im getting the feeling i should probably be checking this sometime in the very near future?

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
My first follower lasted me 50k miles and was intact when I swapped it out. As long as you keep your oil topped up and don't drive like a pissed off teenager 90% of the time, you're follower should last you at least 30k+. It can't hurt to check though.

AaronC

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mustang 5.0
Vw will probably say, "trust me buddy don't worry about it. Your cam and follower I'm sure are fine... Blahblahblahmoreshadydealershipbullshitblah."

There's a diy which is very simple, even dummyproof.

This is all very true. I went to the dealership in Boise for an oilchange since i didn't have the time and spoke with the lead tech about this issue. The tech told me that they havent delt with this yet and not to worry...then he went on to say that if it failed that they would cover all costs. :mad0259:

Anyone in idaho delt with this?

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI

GT0neX

NooB-Still Sucklin' Teat
My 06 has 30K, is there a problem with that? :fighting0030:

lol...this is the last thing i would have expected the topic to turn to haha...gotta love working close to home.

it doesn't hurt to check the darn thing, it really only take 15mins to check

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
I'm just messing around i thought it was hilarious..

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
LoL, my 2009 has over 35k miles