GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm liking the looks of the mk8 GTI, but that's not enough to get me out of my mk7. It's going to have to be the promised 200lbs lighter (doubt it), significantly more hp (doubt it) and have a nice interior (not looking like it).

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Hope it looks better in person. I know it's fashionable to say we don't like the new model but it's hideous in photos in my opinion.
I’m not a fan either. VW have managed to produce what looks like quite an ugly car IMO. It might look better ‘in the metal‘, but sadly, it probably won’t. I thought the mk7 looked good right from the outset in the initial pre-launch pictures, and when the actual cars were first seen, they didn’t disappoint either. As hard as I try to like the looks of the mk8, I sadly can’t.

I read on another forum that there’s a chance the Geneva Motor Show may not go ahead; Coronavirus being cited as the reason for possible cancellation of the event. If Geneva is cancelled, then we’re probably faced with a very low key launch.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
we pretty much knew it was going to look like the mk8 gte which was released back in october

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I kinda wish that they would illuminate the VW emblem itself as well. If you're going to go through the effort of running a LED strip through the entire front grill, it's going to look a touch weird at night to have it stop in the middle for the circle of darkness that is the badge.

I think it’ll be fine. No, there’s nothing that really wows me. I don’t feel the same way I did when the MK7 came out. I loved it from the beginning and knew I had to have one after previously owning a MK6. My initial impression with this is I’ll hold on to my MK7 for another 4-5 yrs and see if the MK9 or something else appeals at that time. Right now there’s nothing out there for less than $50K I’d want to replace my MK7 with, and that’s not a price range I’m playing in.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I’m not a fan either. VW have managed to produce what looks like quite an ugly car IMO. It might look better ‘in the metal‘, but sadly, it probably won’t. I thought the mk7 looked good right from the outset in the initial pre-launch pictures, and when the actual cars were first seen, they didn’t disappoint either. As hard as I try to like the looks of the mk8, I sadly can’t.

I read on another forum that there’s a chance the Geneva Motor Show may not go ahead; Coronavirus being cited as the reason for possible cancellation of the event. If Geneva is cancelled, then we’re probably faced with a very low key launch.

I was the same way.
I liked the MK6 the moment I saw images of it, and vowed to make one my next new car.
While owning the MK6, and seeing the images of the MK7 - I knew I was going to trade my 6 in for a 7.
That's not happening this time around.
Matter of fact, I'm kind of worried about where I'm going to go when I'm done with my MK7 unless the MK8 is much nicer in the flesh.
They've put a turbo in the Mazda6 now - I might look there.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
I was the same way.
I liked the MK6 the moment I saw images of it, and vowed to make one my next new car.
While owning the MK6, and seeing the images of the MK7 - I knew I was going to trade my 6 in for a 7.
That's not happening this time around.
Matter of fact, I'm kind of worried about where I'm going to go when I'm done with my MK7 unless the MK8 is much nicer in the flesh.
They've put a turbo in the Mazda6 now - I might look there.

That's because they only come with 4 cylinders now, which doesn't make sense! Stupid Mazda! (but yeah--that is my current cross-shopping for--if I didn't get this GTI, if I had to do a buy-back for my stalling GTI, etc.)