GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 vs top speed

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Impressive! I love to go fast but at maybe 110-120, I start to think about the cost of getting caught and then I back off.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Impressive! I love to go fast but at maybe 110-120, I start to think about the cost of getting caught and then I back off.
Thanks man, out here we have miles of empty road and long straights. So I am lucky enough to do this safely every once and a while.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Don't know why the the mfd speedo stops at 180 too. Figure it could keep going. My Golf has a 160 speedo and even though i was well past that, only showed 160.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Don't know why the the mfd speedo stops at 180 too. Figure it could keep going. My Golf has a 160 speedo and even though i was well past that, only showed 160.
Germans are notorious for inaccurate speedos, so it's really just a rough estimation anyway. I used to work for Lufthansa and we had a carpool you could check out cars from and I carried a GPS that gave true read outs. Porsches were typically around 7-10% off, BMW's were consistently 10-12% off and Alfas and Fiats were usually closer to 15% off. My old BMW was governed to 155, but showed 172 on the speedo when doing 155. A Boxster I rented for trying to repaint the Armco at the Nurburgring showed 186mph at a true 164mph. Of note, nearly every car in Germany in the way back was either governed to 155mph (250kph) or just couldn't go that fast, so that Boxster was priceless for torturing much quicker cars on the unlimited sections of the AB.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Germans are notorious for inaccurate speedos, so it's really just a rough estimation anyway. I used to work for Lufthansa and we had a carpool you could check out cars from and I carried a GPS that gave true read outs. Porsches were typically around 7-10% off, BMW's were consistently 10-12% off and Alfas and Fiats were usually closer to 15% off. My old BMW was governed to 155, but showed 172 on the speedo when doing 155. A Boxster I rented for trying to repaint the Armco at the Nurburgring showed 186mph at a true 164mph. Of note, nearly every car in Germany in the way back was either governed to 155mph (250kph) or just couldn't go that fast, so that Boxster was priceless for torturing much quicker cars on the unlimited sections of the AB.
Actually after changing the tire setting, mine is pretty accurate. Had a thread with some measurements. Can't remember where.

My issue was more that the speedo just stops

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I mean cool, but are you really hauling at 160 and holding your cell phone videoing the speedo? Lol ballsy.
Not yet, but good idea

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I've had my R to 153, realizing real quick that KY roads are for short game only. Would love to see where the 7 spd dsg gets you to.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Actually after changing the tire setting, mine is pretty accurate. Had a thread with some measurements. Can't remember where.

My issue was more that the speedo just stops

Hey Monkey, it may have been some DMs we had about this last year lol

You can adjust the Distance Impulse number with OBDII or VCDS...
The answer to how the DIN relates to wheel size is here: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/distance-impulse-number.316833/

My car (2016 USDM Golf R MT) had the setting "3" (equiv. 1958mm circ.) but the 235/35/19s OE wheels are 2032mm circ.....
For the first couple of years of owning the car I would always notice my speedo read slow, not fast..... around ~1.5% too slow, which eventually I tested... pretty much as expected if you look at the DNI... has anyone else seen this? setting 3 on their car as default?
Maybe someone changed it on mine...? Because everyone here says their speedos read fast from factory. When I changed it to the setting 4, for the tallest tires 2082mm... it then read around 1% fast, which is fine by me.... I may retest this to confirm, but i remember being pretty clear cut....

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
The 6 speed on the Golf R is short, it would probably bounce of the rev limiter at 180... has anyone tried a top speed run on that?

1653003094656.png

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Hey Monkey, it may have been some DMs we had about this last year lol

You can adjust the Distance Impulse number with OBDII or VCDS...
The answer to how the DIN relates to wheel size is here: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/distance-impulse-number.316833/

My car (2016 USDM Golf R MT) had the setting "3" (equiv. 1958mm circ.) but the 235/35/19s OE wheels are 2032mm circ.....
For the first couple of years of owning the car I would always notice my speedo read slow, not fast..... around ~1.5% too slow, which eventually I tested... pretty much as expected if you look at the DNI... has anyone else seen this? setting 3 on their car as default?
Maybe someone changed it on mine...? Because everyone here says their speedos read fast from factory. When I changed it to the setting 4, for the tallest tires 2082mm... it then read around 1% fast, which is fine by me.... I may retest this to confirm, but i remember being pretty clear cut....

That's what it was. My memory is terrible.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
I mean cool, but are you really hauling at 160 and holding your cell phone videoing the speedo? Lol ballsy.
Yeah, I only had it up for like a good 3 seconds before I gave in. 🤣 There's actually a nice little bump in the road (I don't know if I recorded it) but that was the only bump I was concerned about.