GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Dbv2 DP and Trackslag>

He’s saying that purely out of wanting to spend the least amount possible. A co worker of mine has a Depo downpipe and it didn’t even come close to being able to engage the subframe hangers & broke welds within a year.

No speculation, I saw it personally.

To each their own, but to recommend horrible quality stuff to other enthusiasts is a whole different thing and literally screws people out of money.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I ran a cheapo 99 dollar ebay downpipe for 3 years, never had a single issue. All I can do is base my opinions off my personal experience just like yourself, so I suppose to each their own is fairly accurate.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I ran a cheapo 99 dollar ebay downpipe for 3 years, never had a single issue. All I can do is base my opinions off my personal experience just like yourself, so I suppose to each their own is fairly accurate.

If it fit right out of the box, didn’t leak, and somehow came with a cat that’s a miracle.

Experience is kinda weighted when it comes with this kinda stuff, even some of my buddies who are engineers don’t know (or maybe remember) anything about metallurgy or weld quality.

On the other hand machinist buddies of mine are very knowledgeable even if they’ve got little to no first hand welding experience, because the two trades run in parallel.

I personally have absolutely no idea about IT stuff, medical, medicine, horticulture, ect just to name a few…I also don’t hop on here and sling advice on those topics I’ve only got passers by opinions on. If my wife, a nurse, gives me advice I appreciate it and listen then that’s the end of it.

Idk why every fifth person or so comes here to argue, but hey I’m also not a sociologist either so maybe it’s human nature to disagree relentlessly online.

Ja_mill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 6MT GTI
So I installed my baun dp and midpipe this weekend and had a bit of a struggle lol. I have a 2018 gti and i purchased a used dp for a 2019 model which has a smaller outlet on the end of the midpipe to fit that year's stock muffler.
I had the end of my midpipe expanded but they didnt have a way to measure the size to get 2.5" exactly and it ended up being a little smaller than it should be.

As it is right now, the outlet of my midpipe is nested inside of my muffler and held with a clamp. I test drove it twice with that setup and both times the midpipe popped out of the muffler during acceleration. One was WOT and the other time was a mild acceleration. The midpipe was completely free and the muffler was hanging down with the clamp still attached to it.
I torqued the clamps down with a pneumatic impact so it was pretty tight.

Currently the assembly is held together with the same setup plus some heavy duty epoxy holding the clamp to the pipes. No epoxy inside of either pipe.

It's holding together and has for about 120 miles, but I believe I have an exhaust leak or some other problem. At low rpm everything feels and sounds great but around 3k and higher it rattles quite a bit and I dont think I'm holding boost pressure steadily. I never really monitored it before (I have a Cobb AP to monitor) but currently I'll have around 5-9 psi during acceleration even if I'm pushing it. It can get up to low 20's but it doesnt hold high psi for any significant length of time.

Could it just be that configuration of the midpipe to stock muffler causing the issues? I'm planning to work on it some more on my next day off work.
Probably going to cut the stock muffler back a little more so the pipes have more room to butt against each other rather than nesting inside. Might have to take it back to the shop that did the original expanding and try to get it right this time...

Any ideas?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Anyone have experience with 42 draft designs exhaust system? 1.8T FWD, so it looks like it's either them or AWE. I've heard even AWE's touring has drone so not really interested in their kit.

Currently running a 3" ARM catted DP with a APRs 60mm reducer to the oem pipe clamp with stock catback.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So I installed my baun dp and midpipe this weekend and had a bit of a struggle lol. I have a 2018 gti and i purchased a used dp for a 2019 model which has a smaller outlet on the end of the midpipe to fit that year's stock muffler.
I had the end of my midpipe expanded but they didnt have a way to measure the size to get 2.5" exactly and it ended up being a little smaller than it should be.

As it is right now, the outlet of my midpipe is nested inside of my muffler and held with a clamp. I test drove it twice with that setup and both times the midpipe popped out of the muffler during acceleration. One was WOT and the other time was a mild acceleration. The midpipe was completely free and the muffler was hanging down with the clamp still attached to it.
I torqued the clamps down with a pneumatic impact so it was pretty tight.

Currently the assembly is held together with the same setup plus some heavy duty epoxy holding the clamp to the pipes. No epoxy inside of either pipe.

It's holding together and has for about 120 miles, but I believe I have an exhaust leak or some other problem. At low rpm everything feels and sounds great but around 3k and higher it rattles quite a bit and I dont think I'm holding boost pressure steadily. I never really monitored it before (I have a Cobb AP to monitor) but currently I'll have around 5-9 psi during acceleration even if I'm pushing it. It can get up to low 20's but it doesnt hold high psi for any significant length of time.

Could it just be that configuration of the midpipe to stock muffler causing the issues? I'm planning to work on it some more on my next day off work.
Probably going to cut the stock muffler back a little more so the pipes have more room to butt against each other rather than nesting inside. Might have to take it back to the shop that did the original expanding and try to get it right this time...

Any ideas?
The shop you took it to didn’t have a tape measure? If it fits inside they didn’t expand it at all.

You need to go back to step one and have that issue corrected.

Anyone have experience with 42 draft designs exhaust system? 1.8T FWD, so it looks like it's either them or AWE. I've heard even AWE's touring has drone so not really interested in their kit.

Currently running a 3" ARM catted DP with a APRs 60mm reducer to the oem pipe clamp with stock catback.

GTI valance fits 1.8T, so you’d have every option available for GTI if you’re willing to do that swap

Ja_mill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 6MT GTI
The shop you took it to didn’t have a tape measure? If it fits inside they didn’t expand it at all.

Yeah they just put it in a spreader a few times and he held it up to a piece of pipe they had that was apparently 2.5" and they mated up.
I'll bring the piece of my muffler I cut off to measure next time.

Luckily they did it for free and said I can bring it back if it needed to be stretched more. He said he was wary of stretching it too far because stainless steel can split or tear if it gets stretched.
Hopefully I'll get that taken care of on Thursday and report back with results

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yeah they just put it in a spreader a few times and he held it up to a piece of pipe they had that was apparently 2.5" and they mated up.
I'll bring the piece of my muffler I cut off to measure next time.

Luckily they did it for free and said I can bring it back if it needed to be stretched more. He said he was wary of stretching it too far because stainless steel can split or tear if it gets stretched.
Hopefully I'll get that taken care of on Thursday and report back with results

Nice! When you re install the parts be sure to support the butt joints on both ends of the Midpipe during installation to ensure proper clearance of the cross braces front and rear.

41B851C7-9F88-44F6-A96D-BD4F9D254FB5.jpeg
9B1AB811-C696-4158-9CEE-626551733376.jpeg
A4CC5285-A32C-4A70-9E22-5455664464BF.jpeg

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

GTI valance fits 1.8T, so you’d have every option available for GTI if you’re willing to do that swap
Eh, still be a pain. My DP is modified for the 60mm stock 1.8T exhaust and not the 65mm GTI exhaust. Fitting the DP was fun when I found out that difference. I ended up cutting the 65mm exhaust flange they sent and having APRs 3" to 60mm reducer welded in.

Is the only difference in the routing the pipe exits? Just curious if the suitcase on most GTI exhaust will fit. I could use the 3" vband that came with the kit. I guess I'd have to look into variances on the wagon. Didn't know they fit, thought the rear bumper was different between the wagon and the hatch.
1.8T fwd :
1649794131078.png

GTI
1649794218274.png

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Looks like the GTI valance doesn't fit the wagon from a quick search. I'd have to swap to a 4mo or R estate valance it seems.

Didn’t know you have a wagon, and I don’t know anything about them (never been under one).

Forget about it being 1.8T, being a fwd wagon is gonna be your issue. Nothing from the AWD cars will fit, as they all have the saddle style gas tank.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Didn’t know you have a wagon, and I don’t know anything about them (never been under one).

Forget about it being 1.8T, being a fwd wagon is gonna be your issue. Nothing from the AWD cars will fit, as they all have the saddle style gas tank.
Yeah, seems limited pickings. AWE, 42 Draft Design, or Borla if you can find them (discontinued) or a magnaflow setup.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yeah, seems limited pickings. AWE, 42 Draft Design, or Borla if you can find them (discontinued) or a magnaflow setup.

Could always seek out a professional fabricator locally to build you one.

Vibrant 17950 & a Borla XS PRO in the
064198B5-4AA3-4849-801A-59E19C2C459B.jpeg
08DB2DFC-311D-4D72-867F-9276DEB9707D.jpeg
B0A820A7-3A4E-44C7-8EE0-7DD8BD7A6FDE.jpeg
usual locations. Normally I’d offer to whip something up, but I have no idea what’s different about your car and California isn’t exactly around the corner haha