GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I got a 3 inch downpipe 100cell hi flow cat, it came with a midpipe resonated which bolts onto the downpipe then the catback. Right now I am running non resonated pipe for the downpipe, in terms of sound how much of a difference is it with resonated compared to non resonated? If I am looking for deeper tone? I am assuming non res would be louder? Also I am thinking of putting Vibrant resonater in place of where my stock res would be?

Just re read the original post of this thread, all of your questions are answered

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...st-tech-how-to-get-the-sound-you-want.345407/

Just to clarify a “Midpipe” is a part I sell that makes up the first section of a CBE, not the lower downpipe piece you’re messing with.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Honestly, if I hadn't already bought the DP before IE came out with the Flexfuel E85 tunes, I probably would have skipped the DP/resonator, kept with the Clubsport axleback and put the money into the IE Flexfuel sensors and HPFP upgrades. The stage 1 is more than enough power for daily driving and I could have just ran E85 on track days.
I did everything backwards. I bought the Borla catback and resonator because I thought I would stay stage 1 but wanted some volume. After getting the downpipe, I regretted getting Borla. Jake's midpipe made a world of a difference and I'm glad I got it. I went back to stage 1 and I do notice a considerable difference even for daily driving. I am probably going to sell the Borla and leave as is for a while until I figure out how I can get back to stage 2 and keep it OEM+ sounding.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
After searching far and wide and watching way too many videos of downpipes, catback, resonators, muffler deleted, etc, I ended up ordering a MBRP system. I don't plan on going stage 2 or swapping downpipes (did that on my 2015 and totally wasnt worth it) and this system seems to have a really nice deep tone without drone due to the Helmholtz resonator, and it's still plenty loud. Volume I'm okay with but drone can jump off a cliff. Got it for $670 from MBRPs website with a coupon code, it will be interesting to see how it sounds!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I did everything backwards. I bought the Borla catback and resonator because I thought I would stay stage 1 but wanted some volume. After getting the downpipe, I regretted getting Borla. Jake's midpipe made a world of a difference and I'm glad I got it. I went back to stage 1 and I do notice a considerable difference even for daily driving. I am probably going to sell the Borla and leave as is for a while until I figure out how I can get back to stage 2 and keep it OEM+ sounding.

I’ve got the OEM Fitment Resonated Midpipe and the Stealth CBE for the OEM+ crowd.

After searching far and wide and watching way too many videos of downpipes, catback, resonators, muffler deleted, etc, I ended up ordering a MBRP system. I don't plan on going stage 2 or swapping downpipes (did that on my 2015 and totally wasnt worth it) and this system seems to have a really nice deep tone without drone due to the Helmholtz resonator, and it's still plenty loud. Volume I'm okay with but drone can jump off a cliff. Got it for $670 from MBRPs website with a coupon code, it will be interesting to see how it sounds!

FYI for a helmholtz to work on mk7 the tube needs to be like 4’ long.

Doesn’t matter since drone isn’t a thing with the stock downpipe

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG

I've heard so many people say how a res delete and muffler delete on a stock downpipe still causes drone. The only other exhaust I've been looking at is the Xforce cause it's at a decent price point. But in videos it seems a bit quiet.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I've heard so many people say how a res delete and muffler delete on a stock downpipe still causes drone. The only other exhaust I've been looking at is the Xforce cause it's at a decent price point. But in videos it seems a bit quiet.
My friend has the Xforce exhaust, but with a catless downpipe and vortex xl, and it's loud af.

With a muffler delete (and stock downpipe + res) there's no drone from my experience

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I’ve got the OEM Fitment Resonated Midpipe and the Stealth CBE for the OEM+ crowd.

I've been following your new development with StealthGTI and it's very tempting. You made my ARM catted dp to Borla midpipe so it would make sense to do the stealth suitcase to keep it all 3". Just trying to run some numbers through my head and I have to make sure I keep the db low...you know I live in a Cali law wanna be state.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
My friend has the Xforce exhaust, but with a catless downpipe and vortex xl, and it's loud af.

With a muffler delete (and stock downpipe + res) there's no drone from my experience
Hmmmm. The xforce seems like a great quality unit, but the mufflers might take away any volume with a stock downpipe. I wish someone nearby had one I could hear 😂

I'll just stick with the MBRP and hope for the best. If it comes down to it I could throw in a vibrant res to clean up the sound a little.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
For what it’s worth I installed a Trackslag catted downpipe and a CTS catback over the weekend and the cabin drone is unreal under any acceleration. Especially around 3k. Feeling pretty defeated. Hopefully adding the vibrant resonator will help. Otherwise I’ll toss the stock rear section back on.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
For what it’s worth I installed a Trackslag catted downpipe and a CTS catback over the weekend and the cabin drone is unreal under any acceleration. Especially around 3k. Feeling pretty defeated. Hopefully adding the vibrant resonator will help. Otherwise I’ll toss the stock rear section back on.

To fit the 17950 on a R both the DP & CBE need extensive modifications. I’d recommend putting the OEM catback on before going down that rabbit hole.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
To fit the 17950 on a R both the DP & CBE need extensive modifications. I’d recommend putting the OEM catback on before going down that rabbit hole.
Well FML. I don’t mind the mid pipe and catback needing modifications. I had my factory one modified with a UQ where the red delete pipe was anyways. Exhaust Shop by me does excellent work.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Id pop that puppy back on there, even after all that work the 17950 hangs a little lower than the rest of the car.

Might as well try what you have and play with valve coding before moving forward.

Plus, CTS is the absolute worst quality you can buy do ditching it ASAP before welds crack would be ideal.
Well FML. I don’t mind the mid pipe and catback needing modifications. I had my factory one modified with a UQ where the red delete pipe was anyways. Exhaust Shop by me does excellent work.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
CTS is the absolute worst quality you can buy do ditching it ASAP before welds crack would be ideal.
oh hell no. keep my downpipes name out yo fkin mouth

1649098646464.png

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Id pop that puppy back on there, even after all that work the 17950 hangs a little lower than the rest of the car.

Might as well try what you have and play with valve coding before moving forward.

Plus, CTS is the absolute worst quality you can buy do ditching it ASAP before welds crack would be ideal.
Well that’s the first I heard that. But right now my concern is the drone.