GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk 7 vs Focus ST

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I saw a Gulf livery Ford GT yesterday. I know VW has Porsche and Lamborghini, but that GT was certainly pretty good, even with a stupid V6. Someone was drunk when they picked the blue for the middle one.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Stock for Stock as in both Base VW GTI and Ford ST

The GTI is 10x better.

The Ford ST Base package 2 which is roughly 5k more than the base GTI is on level with the base GTI. When I say base, I mean S not LP or PP or SE or Autobahn.

I test drove/rode in Ford ST base package 2, and GTI s before I bought my GTI. GTI was 23.5k. Ford ST was 29k both before tax. For one, GTI fit my price point and it had better features (half power seats, heated seats, 6.5" screen, plaid seats, better overall interior. As for outside looks thats your opinion. Focus had a little more hp stock.

Now thats compairing a Ford Focus ST base package 2, not the base base, so base for base GTI wins easy

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The main area the ST shines is that someone locked the lawyers in a closet when they finalized alignment and suspension tuning, but an aggressive alignment and RSB with a GTI accomplishes the same thing.

Everywhere else, a Base GTI beats the ST.

PP is much better.

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
in all things, get the one you like the looks of more, its not like either is a lunker or anything, lowered st's with nice wheels look nice
I prefer the outside of the FST or FRS much more than the Mk7, but it just absolutely poops the bed when it comes to the inside, it's so bad I just couldn't do it. My neighbor has an ST and I prefer it that way, a GTI for myself, but to see the Focus.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I prefer the outside of the FST or FRS much more than the Mk7, but it just absolutely poops the bed when it comes to the inside, it's so bad I just couldn't do it. My neighbor has an ST and I prefer it that way, a GTI for myself, but to see the Focus.
yeah st interior is only good with higher packages and at that price point its comparable to the autobahn

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
yeah st interior is only good with higher packages and at that price point its comparable to the autobahn
No, they never got nice, even the RS had the awful hard plastics with the texture of elephant skin. Plus the air vents all felt like they came with half a Dr Pepper poured into the parts that were supposed to move. Even before the RS started eating head gaskets and hosing down neighborhoods with coolant, I couldn't get excited about what seemed like a great car on paper.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Only the seats. Everything else was rental car garbage.

Subaru has better interiors, and that's not a compliment to Subaru.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Oh yeah, the Recaros were great. For fifteen minutes. Reminded me very much of my old BMW seats. Awesome around town, but nearly fatal on long trips.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The Veloster N Spec PP is the best car in the segment of you don't mind throwing up a little in your mouth every time you look back at your car on the side with 2 doors.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The Veloster N Spec PP is the best car in the segment of you don't mind throwing up a little in your mouth every time you look back at your car on the side with 2 doors.
Do you like it more than the CTR? Driving wise, that is? I love the way the stock CTR drives, but it's too big, too ugly inside and out, doesn't seem to have enough cooling and just doesn't have a tuning market. I haven't looked at the Hyundai seriously, but I actually kind of like the screwball door setup, as I really only ever open one rear door to belt my kid in, so I'd be fine with the longer door on the driver side. But who am I kidding, I'll just get a Mk8 R in a few years and ignore all of these cars.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I second that the door layout on the N is Cool and Good. But if we're assuming PP and/or DCT it's really in a different league, it's in a whole different price range from a FoST so it's not an especially fair comparison.
It's sort of in a unique spot now, cheaper than the CTR but pretty much as quick. Cheaper than the R, but more than a non AB GTI, but in between the two in performance. The Mk8 GTI will likely match it's performance though and be a good bit cheaper in most trims.