GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

???Missing McGard Lock Nut AND replacing front "stretch" axle bolts.

knievil

Abl8Pace
Car(s)
MY08 R32
So the car is in for the 30km service (only 25K) on it. Paying $630!! plus $90 for the fuel flush (probably stooged on this....). Talk about bending over!:mad:

Anyway, I get a call stating that the front left McGard lock nut is missing.
Assuming that it was not lost by the technician, I wonder how it is possible for me not to have seen this when cleaning the car. The ZF Sachs suspension was removed about 2 months ago. I have washed the car at least 3 times since.... I haven't felt a wobble in the wheel (I would expect some wobble due to due unbalanced wheel - right??). I have not heard anything that would suggest a bolt flying off the hub, nor is there damage to the rim or body / wheel well. So how is this possible?? The guy said it may have been an attempt at theft as thieves usually go for the left side as they can be concealed next to the car.....

Any thoughts on this...??

Also, I am getting the stretch bolts replaced as they are one use only and I don't trust the suspension dudes to have left these intact or that "they don't need to be replaced".... How many of these once only bolts are there and any idea on how much the dealer is going to squeeze me for these?

I appreciate your thoughts...

BTW - does everyone agree that this price is crazy for an intermediate service AND does anyone, except gullible knievil, get the injector flush?? Will it affect warranty if not??

Last edited:

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Hi Bill, bummer I assume it must have fell out because it was not done up tight enough (as to not strip the thread), or someone forgot to put it in. The same thing happened to one of my normal bolts not so long ago when I got a rotate and balance at Bob Jane.

Not that impressed this time with whomever worked on the car, as the steering wheel was a bit crooked too and had to go back. Still haven't got a replacement bolt yet either (they wanted to give me a generic one but doesn't match the others).

Added: I usually say no to gimmics like injector cleaners, shouldnt need to pull apart a fairly new car for that.

Last edited:

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
So how is this possible?? The guy said it may have been an attempt at theft as thieves usually go for the left side as they can be concealed next to the car.....

Any thoughts on this...??

Sounds feasible. I've read of this elsewhere - I think the theory is the thieves go for the locking nut first, as if they can't get it off then there is no point in undoing the rest. If they get disturbed just then you will drive off and leave the locking nut behind. Wheels will usually stay on OK with one nut missing, as long as the remaining ones are done up tight. Because they are close to the hub, missing one nut won't make the wheel as much out of balance as you might expect.

I use BP fuels exclusively, so I won't be paying for any injector clean/flush treatment unless I have some obvious symptoms indicating it is needed.

knievil

Abl8Pace
Car(s)
MY08 R32

Attachments

• bentleymanual.jpg
    bentleymanual.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 288

Blue.:R32

Ready to race!
$630 for 30kkm!? What exactly was done in that service. As far as I know, oil/ oil filter change, cabin filter. Any other parts replaced?

knievil

Abl8Pace
Car(s)
MY08 R32
.I use BP fuels exclusively, so I won't be paying for any injector clean/flush treatment unless I have some obvious symptoms indicating it is needed.

Yeah, I am a sucker. I use the Caltex 98 exclusively. They get you on the spot (- like extended warranty at Harvey Norman - I usually say no to those...).

They told me they remove the fuel filter, connect the car up to an external fuel line with cleaner and run the engine for an hour. Fark, the more I think about it, the bigger a dick I was to agree to it. Anyway, wiser for next time.:cry:

Ready to race!
Have you serviced your car yet?
Crazy- I know! - Bring some KY and your wallet.

I have :biggrin:

here's my intermediate service @ 33000km:

$17 oil filter (geniune VW)
$35 castrol edge 5w 30 (5L so let's say $50 for 5.5L) (I got some already at home)
$28 cabin filter (geniune VW)

Cabin filter - 15 minutes of my time
Oil change - 2 hour of my time (1 of which is watching the oil drip :wink:)

I had to buy a couple of tools to undo the oil filter housing $50

So all up parts and tools = $145 say..
And that works my hourly rate to about just over $200/hr.. :biggrin:

I bought my car just after the 30000km mark and the dealer claimed to have done a service. BS because I checked the oil at 31000 and it was dirty as.

Not everyone wants to get greasy on the weekend I know.. i'd take a look at how much an independent mechanic in your area would charge though. One that is reputable and trusted by other members here. In brisbane, many people swear by Mike Weber. He just did my suspension install for me at a very reasonable price. I asked him about 30000km services and he quoted around the $250 mark. These guys will do log book servicing so no issues with warranty. So while I"m doing intermediate services at home, i will take it to him at every 15kkm. Especially for your 60kkm service!! (dsg/ haldex etc) big tube of ky is needed if you're going to the stealers.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
I bought my car just after the 30000km mark and the dealer claimed to have done a service. BS because I checked the oil at 31000 and it was dirty as.

They most likely did do the service when they stated. It looks dirty because they used a full synthetic oil and it's doing it's job. If you want oil that looks clean I suggest a mineral oil, it won't protect your engine anywhere near as well but it'll look clean :thumbsup:

http://www.texlube.com/oilmyths.htm

"Myth #2 - If the oil turns dark or black quickly, it's no good. You can tell the condition of oil by the look, smell or color of it. Dirty (black) motor oil means the oil is breaking down.
Fact: A common misconception is that high quality motor oil should come out of an engine looking clean at the time of an oil change. Nothing could be further from the truth. If the oil is doing its job of cleaning the engine, then it should be dirty when it is drained. Havoline motor oil will start looking dirty a short time after it is put to use. In the case of diesel engines, the oil will look dirty within a few hours of operation. These are signs that the motor oil is doing its job of keeping soot, dirt, and other combustion contaminants in suspension to be carried to the filter or removed from the crankcase when the oil is changed. Havoline motor oils have been formulated to hold these contaminants in suspension until they can be removed with an oil and filter change."

Ready to race!
don't know if anyone can confirm this but a few trusted people have told me that toyota makes a really good in tank fuel cleaner. They used to have one that comes in a small white bottle and you use a bottle / half tank. They're repackaged it since and don't know if it's the same stuff.

The question is: did you feel a difference after they did the injector clean? My experience is that both the toyota in tank cleaner and the mechanic machine ones gives a very minor difference (slightly better throttle response maybe). The stuff you buy from supercheap is just waste of time and money.

badboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK V
I've done 84000km and never had this cleaning thing done. I'm taking my car to EUropean autotech from now on for services as I hate the fact that I have to talk to the service manager rather than the guy working on the car.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
^^ I understand.. but this oil that I drained look > having done 2000km. More like > 5000km

There's so many factors that come into play like the brand of oil etc that without doing an oil analysis you really can't tell by looking. Doing an extra oil change won't hurt and at least you know what's in there.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
don't know if anyone can confirm this but a few trusted people have told me that toyota makes a really good in tank fuel cleaner. They used to have one that comes in a small white bottle and you use a bottle / half tank. They're repackaged it since and don't know if it's the same stuff.

I heard the Subaru one was good but hard to tell as it's often based on people's perception rather than hard facts.