GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mishimoto's MK7 Intercooler and Piping R&D Thread

Mishimoto1

Ready to race!
Hey Guys,

I'm Nick from Mishimoto and I'm starting this thread today to let you know that I will be your guide through our development of the intercooler and piping for the MK7 GTI. Our engineers are already hard at work on the project so keep an eye out on here and on our Engineering Blog for updates!

Until then feel free to shoot me any suggestions or ask any questions you might have!

-Nick

Last edited:

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
What is your timeline on release?

Please publish data like: pressure drop, recovery time, pre and post IAT, and real world temps vs dyno time with hood up! All of this on preferably a stage 2 car. Not many people upgrade this on stage 1 or stock.

You have some fierce competition right now with proven solutions. But let's see it!

Mishimoto1

Ready to race!
Any plans to develop an oil cooler?

In for oil cooler!!

If you guys can develop a proper plate adaptor and water pump block off im in for an oil cooler too

No plans for a direct fit kit for these at the moment, but with the amount of responses I got on it I sent over a request to start looking into it! For those of you who can't wait, we do offer a variety of universal coolers

Neat. Is mishimoto approaching it as a OE style replacement or will it be an additional front mount intercooler setup that is pursued?

What is your timeline on release?

Please publish data like: pressure drop, recovery time, pre and post IAT, and real world temps vs dyno time with hood up! All of this on preferably a stage 2 car. Not many people upgrade this on stage 1 or stock.

You have some fierce competition right now with proven solutions. But let's see it!

The plan right now is to develop an intercooler that is an improvement of the stock unit, but still make it direct fit, so as it stands, we're keeping it in the stock location. Also, will do, I'll make sure you guys know exactly how the intercooler and piping performs once we get to that stage. Also if you happen to know anyone in the Delaware area with a stage 2+ GTI willing to let us do some testing that would be great! ;)

Will be keeping an eye on this

Finally more (< $) options for IC's!

:D

Our engineer has already been hard at work on this project, so I'm going to get you an update ASAP!

-Nick

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Something to be wary about the piping. Make sure it is extremely securely mounted. Any metal piping that possibly impacts sections of the engine under movement will result in the car seeing false knock. (one of the possible reasons why APR found the car ran better with the stock piping vs aftermarket on their stage 3 cars ).

Don't rely on the piping to maintain its position.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
No plans for a direct fit kit for these at the moment, but with the amount of responses I got on it I sent over a request to start looking into it! For those of you who can't wait, we do offer a variety of universal coolers

The universal kits wont work since the allocation for where the oil lines can be ran is pretty limited, you cant run a typical sandwich plate like on the mk6. There needs to be an adaptor made to run it off the side of the filter
housing. There are some oil pan options but that typically requires another pump to get the oil circulating. An adaptor on the filter housing will also require the removal of the intake manifold and water pump for access and installation. Let us know what happens!

Mishimoto1

Ready to race!
Something to be wary about the piping. Make sure it is extremely securely mounted. Any metal piping that possibly impacts sections of the engine under movement will result in the car seeing false knock. (one of the possible reasons why APR found the car ran better with the stock piping vs aftermarket on their stage 3 cars ).

Don't rely on the piping to maintain its position.

That's some really useful info to have! I just went out to the garage to let our engineer and fabricator know about that since they're working on the piping mock-up as we speak. Greatly appreciated!

Hey just out of curiosity, is that intercooler performance link in your signature your all of your own testing?

MishimotoNo plans for a direct fit kit for these at the moment, but with the amount of responses I got on it I sent over a request to start looking into it! For those of you who can't wait, we do offer a variety of universal coolershttps://www.mishimoto.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=oil+cooler+universal

The universal kits wont work since the allocation for where the oil lines can be ran is pretty limited, you cant run a typical sandwich plate like on the mk6. There needs to be an adaptor made to run it off the side of the filter
housing. There are some oil pan options but that typically requires another pump to get the oil circulating. An adaptor on the filter housing will also require the removal of the intake manifold and water pump for access and installation. Let us know what happens!

Good to know, I figured something had to be up with so many requests for a direct fit kit. I passed along the link to this thread with it, so they should be taking a look into it soon!

-Nick

Last edited:

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Nick,

It is a collaboration of all the logs taken by various members of the forums. As soon as we get some new logs of intercoolers, we put it up there. (none of them are my car).

And ya. I think the intercooler piping is one of those things that "seems" like it would be a good upgrade, but the actual effect is very different. When stage 3+ cars running 440awhp (over 500 bhp) are using the stock plastic charge piping, (with the stock DV even) it speaks volumes. Car has super sensitive knock sensors. George from Burger actually pointed out, you can tap the engine bay while the car is running and it'll set them off.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
I'm sure you have done your research but we all hope it's well below the highest price units out there. Those units works beautifually but dropping the money on that hasn't happened at least not yet for me.

Mishimoto1

Ready to race!
Nick,

It is a collaboration of all the logs taken by various members of the forums. As soon as we get some new logs of intercoolers, we put it up there. (none of them are my car).

And ya. I think the intercooler piping is one of those things that "seems" like it would be a good upgrade, but the actual effect is very different. When stage 3+ cars running 440awhp (over 500 bhp) are using the stock plastic charge piping, (with the stock DV even) it speaks volumes. Car has super sensitive knock sensors. George from Burger actually pointed out, you can tap the engine bay while the car is running and it'll set them off.

Gotcha, either way, thanks for the link, that could come in handy when it comes time for testing.

And good to find that out now so we can plan to have some sturdy piping when we do sample testing.

Thanks again!

I'm sure you have done your research but we all hope it's well below the highest price units out there. Those units works beautifually but dropping the money on that hasn't happened at least not yet for me.

As of now it's a little too early to talk about our pricing, but I can say that it will be placed competitively in the market.

-Nick