GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mazdaspeed 3

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I dislike these cars with such passion, its my hobby. But I know nothing about them.

YouTube users claim 500whp/400wtq on stock bottom end.

What's the stock turbo they run, its labeled K04, same as the VW's?

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
They do everything the GTI does but better, and uglier.
Stock for stock they are faster, brake better, handle better, feel sharper, and give more feedback than a GTI.
Some torque steer, entertaining, but also can be annoying.
Factory turbo is a type of K04. I wouldn't push it too hard though, they've had problems with engines grenading when modded balls out. That's one place the TSI motor has an advantage... the block and general build seem stronger.

My only, and I mean ONLY beef with this car was the front end. Hideous. Couldn't do it.

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Stock for stock they are faster, brake better, handle better, feel sharper, and give more feedback than a GTI.
Factory turbo is a type of K04. I wouldn't push it too hard though, they've had problems with engines grenading when modded balls out. That's one place the TSI motor has an advantage... the block and general build seem stronger.

My only, and I mean ONLY beef with this car was the front end. Hideous. Couldn't do it.

Thanks, there's just something about them I don't like. Maybe its because in my area there's a bunch of kids driving them. What can they put out tuned?

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com

It's got a face not even its mother could love.

kram

Ready to race!
Looked at one before buying the GTI, but that front end & the hideous red splashes on the seats & doors... Completely turns me off to them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!

These are the exact reasons why I bought mine. The drive more then makes up for the stupid face. As for the torque steer, an upgraded rear motor mount can virtually eliminate it if you want to go solid.

52k kms, numerous road trips, and track days with 0 issues. Not even a rattle to complain about. Solid car so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Coworker has one with Cobb stage 2 setup. I drove it once, far more power than those front wheel tires can handle by themselves. Very stiff stock clutch. My stage 1 Legacy GT stays ahead of him from a stop...so of course he wants to try a roll sometime.

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
These are the exact reasons why I bought mine. The drive more then makes up for the stupid face. As for the torque steer, an upgraded rear motor mount can virtually eliminate it if you want to go solid.

52k kms, numerous road trips, and track days with 0 issues. Not even a rattle to complain about. Solid car so far.

What work do you have done?

Coworker has one with Cobb stage 2 setup. I drove it once, far more power than those front wheel tires can handle by themselves. Very stiff stock clutch. My stage 1 Legacy GT stays ahead of him from a stop...so of course he wants to try a roll sometime.

Those GT's are scary, I remember fooling around with one when I was stage 2 and it was pretty quick, must of been stock because as soon as we hit 110 or 120 he just stopped accelerating lol

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
I don't have anything done right now due to a house purchase that took all my money lol.

Going to do a RMM and an access port hopefully this summer. I want to monitor my fuel pump to make sure I don't get no random boom and take off the boost limits in 1st and 2nd

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
The next one, on the other hand, definitely has caught my eye. OR will, at least, with their new design language.

This. If they go NA and it still has some 250hp and awd it would be a hell of a great addition to the market.

Thanks, there's just something about them I don't like. Maybe its because in my area there's a bunch of kids driving them. What can they put out tuned?

Have a buddy that can answer better than me, but they take very well to tuning and are much cheaper to modify. To tune, you'd need a tuner and a hpfp. Tuning is a matter of trial, logging and retrial. Canned tunes aren't as fruitful as the TSI I gather. Motor mounts are crucial as they're soft from the factory. With a FMIC, intake and dp, on an E85 tune, the stock turbo can put out about 260whp.

Turbos are so cheap for this motor too, since you're replacing just the turbo and not the manifold, WG etc. Though you'll want to upgrade to an electronic WG I think. $1200 buys a hta3076, and it can bring stock rods to their limits:

uploadfromtaptalk1398536217293.jpg

butchered by autocorrecr

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
This. If they go NA and it still has some 250hp and awd it would be a hell of a great addition to the market.

Have a buddy that can answer better than me, but they take very well to tuning and are much cheaper to modify. To tune, you'd need a tuner and a hpfp. Tuning is a matter of trial, logging and retrial. Canned tunes aren't as fruitful as the TSI I gather. Motor mounts are crucial as they're soft from the factory. With a FMIC, intake and dp, on an E85 tune, the stock turbo can put out about 260whp.

Turbos are so cheap for this motor too, since you're replacing just the turbo and not the manifold, WG etc. Though you'll want to upgrade to an electronic WG I think. $1200 buys a hta3076, and it can bring stock rods to their limits:

View attachment 40213

butchered by autocorrecr

Thanks!

I have a friend claiming to be at 330whp on E85 and basic bolt ons, bigger MAF etc. And custom tuning. Doesn't add up IMO.

What turbo is running on that graph?

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
I actually like the speed 3 a lot. I just can't stand that hideous dash board and the overly done red on the seats and doors. Other than that I don't mind the front end at all. I could have got a used one pretty cheap but insurance would have kicked my ass. Plus from what I heard Mazda is either making an awd speed3 or bringing the speed6 back so I would rather wait on that.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Thanks!

I have a friend claiming to be at 330whp on E85 and basic bolt ons, bigger MAF etc. And custom tuning. Doesn't add up IMO.

What turbo is running on that graph?

That's the hta3076 there. Maisonvi on this forum. AFAIK that's not his final revision either, and it's also pump gas. He may dial it back to spare the rods.

butchered by autocorrecr

Last edited: